Sign in to follow this  
Guest Len

DX10 Release Announcement - Not Impressed

In fact disappointed. Indeed this update seems to be moving the program toward arcade game genres. Are we to eventually see an enemy pilot, on fire, crawling from is DX10 aircraft after being defeated. Solid flight simulation may be evolving to a backseat relative to contests against the program or other like-minded people. It is understandable that the marketing department at Microsoft want to move a premier simulation program into the contest genre, perhaps to follow with some blood & guts in a subsequent release. It is all about money. If revenues increase after the DX10 release where do you think Microsoft will direct its efforts?Perhaps Train Simulator/DX10 will be devoid of action contests and seems to have little room for blood & guts. Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest UlfB

Dick,What's your source for your statements?Ulf B

Maybe this refers to the MS add-on? I've seen others online confusing it with the DX10 update oddly enough, maybe because it promotes the use of DX10 capabilities.Ian.

I'm inclined to disagree. As long as the plane or chopper we're piloting maintains a good flight model, I'm happy to see all kinds of new scenarios added in. If I knew how to, I'd design all kinds of funky missions in FSX. In the IL2 series of flightsims (and many other combat flightsims), I've spent countless hours building missions to enhance the fun factor. I wish FSX had a similar mission editior that was as easy to use. It would increase the fun factor x 100 times.

I don't think one has to purchase this to obtain the DX10 update as far as I can tell. Acceleration is an add-on and just like any add-on if you don't think you'll like it there should be no reason to purchase it.With that said, the only question I have is does the Acceleration package add any features to FSX that would otherwise be unattainable if it wasn't purchased?If so then my first statement may very well be innacurate.Or does the DX10 update incorporate all the updates that Acceleration utilizes?Ian.

Guest tcable

Adrenaline is a wholly separate update.DX10 will be a free update released separately, but likely included on that disk.

Guest UlfB

>The info I saw was at:>http://www.combatsim.com/story.php?id=6171 .>Regards,>Dick Boley>>A PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yokeWell Dick,Your title for the topic, "DX10 Release Announcement - Not Impressed", was misleading. It should have been "Acceleration Expansion Pack Announced - Not Impressed".As far as I've seen of the Acceleration pack, it doesn't impress me either. I've never been a fan of combats, wars and killing other people off. I don't want to simulate those activities.Ulf B :-)

I don't think combat needs to be intergrated to FSX, but there's certainly nothing wrong with creating some exciting and challenging missions that test both yourself and the aircraft.

Guest SimDog

I agree. Acceleration Pack a total waste of manhours. I won't be buying either.I have purchased so many different versions of FS I forget which one I started with, FS95 I think. I purchased FS for its flight simulation qualities. I do wish MS would concentrate on that and leave the animals and combat to other software. There are so many issues that need fixing in FSX, I doubt we will ever see those addressed. By the way, what ever happened to the list of items that were fixed in SP1 other than Performance? I seem to recall reading this would be available once SP1 was released. Does SP1 have a readme file somewhere which lists fixes?SD

I saw nothing in the link that mentioned violence, combat, blood or guts.Did you attach the right link? The one you attached mentioned racing and more missions, but that's old news...been known to be a focus for acceleration since it was introduced.Then it mentioned new aircraft...and advertised the dx10 features, not sure yet what dx10 features will mean to my xp box.Well, anyway, whether you plan to buy it or not, nothing in the link you provided is news...and nothing suggested any violent content.Bob

Guest UlfB

Bob,I'm sorry, but to my knowledge the F/A-18A Hornet was built to kill people and to be very capable of creating violence. Nothing more nothing less.Ulf B

Guest _FALCON_

1) UlfB is correct. The title of this thread is misnamed. The complaint is actually about the acceleration pack.2) The acceleration pack expands the attraction of FSX to a wider group of people, and makes it more enjoyable for current owners who would also like its features. I think it is fantastic. If you don't want it then don't buy it. You don't have to whine and complain about it.3) The DX10 patch is something different, although as stated above, it may be included on the disc that comes with the pack.I do some video consultation, and have responded on the NVIDIA forms for years. DX10 is an inevitable technological advancement which once you see it, you will thank God for it. The graphics capabilities are absolutely astounding in their realism. The only disadvantages associated with it are that it requires the Vista operating system, AND advanced video cards capable of rendering the pixels. It is foolish to cry about the need to upgrade your system to run DX 10 (or D3D10 --its real name). It is the next step and video development, and it is a hundred times better than what we have now.No, it will never,ever be usable on Windows XP, never. I wished it would be possible as well, but it's not going to happen. To assert it could be, is to acknowledge a fundamental misunderstanding of how the API operates. It would be more possible for your local utility companie's coal burning plant to produce nuclear energy. People need to read up on DX 10 (D3D10). There is plenty of information available

Ulf, valid point, I was considering what the sim allows you to do with it, not what our imagination can fill in by transferring our knowledge of what its real world counterpart acheives.Military planes are flown in every airshow I attend, but violence is not part of the show. Remember the ww1 game that came with Bruce Artwick's AFS2? Not sure how old you are, but that's pretty close to the foundation of the whole caboodle. We could shoot planes down, and it was pretty arcadelike, and it was fun.Seems like the sim is staying true to course intent imho. If users have overlaid a different intent onto the franchise, then they are likely to become disappointed.Anyway, I digress far enough to be unsure what the point of any of this is. Happy Thursday!Kindly,Bob