Sign in to follow this  
Stoopy

O19 Kneeland Airport for you NorCal GA (and Heli!) pilots

Kneeland Airport, ICAO O19, is located 10 miles southeast of Eureka CA on a mountain ridge with an elevation of 2,741 feet.  The single 2,250-foot asphalt runway on top of sharply descending terrain makes for visually breathtaking arrivals and departures, and serves as a convenient alternate airport when nearby airfields at lower elevations may be closed due to fog or low-lying weather.  It's also home to the CalFire Kneeland Helitack base, which this scenery aims to duplicate with a functional helipad, available as "Helipad 01" in the MSFS start menu (Scroll to the bottom of the list of parking areas when starting a flight).   

The airport is fairly spartan in terms of amenities although it does feature a convenient and all-important Porta-Potty which we take great pride in servicing and cleaning annually whether it needs it or not. 

Enjoy!
-Stoopy

https://flightsim.to/file/44317/enhanced-scenery-for-o19-kneeland-airport-eureka-ca

r4yMUR1.jpg

8mUPaJz.jpg

8V1a0jA.jpg

• Like 2

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Nice! I did my PPL training out of Murray. Landed up at Kneeland a few times. Learned first-hand about density altitude when I took off from Kneeland in the middle of summer in a C152. Not having visual reference of my "climb" out, since the terrain drops off the end of the runway, I thought I was doing fine as I was holding my airspeed at 75-80 knots. My instructor asked my how the climb was going, I said "good" as I was staring at my airspeed... He said look behind you. When I looked I could see that we were pretty much still level with the runway. I was confused, I looked back at my VSI and i was barely climbing, less then 100ft per min. He said "this is a good lesson on density altitude". 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, decker89 said:

Nice! I did my PPL training out of Murray. Landed up at Kneeland a few times. Learned first-hand about density altitude when I took off from Kneeland in the middle of summer in a C152...

GREAT story and thanks for sharing!   👍

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!