Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

DLSS 3 in MSFS is huge deal for flight sim

So I was watching Blackbox711 stream MSFS yesterday with his new 4090 (FYI, Blackbox is a real life A320 type rated pilot): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1657208635?t=02h16m52s

Blackbox was flying over London, which is a heavy FPS city, with the Fenix A320, which is a heavy FPS plane.  What I saw was amazing. He was using the 4090, playing in 1440p, and I believe most of his settings were Ultra, and he was getting 90 FPS!  The extra frame generation from DLSS 3 made MSFS so smooth for Blackbox. Blackbox said MSFS is very smooth for him now, with very few stutters when he uses frame generation.

It's almost like frame generation was made for flight simulation, to make flight simulation more smooth.  This is some amazing technology. In fact, I would even say that if a flight simulator doesn't have frame generation and isn't utilizing the DLSS 3 technology, that flight simulator is missing out.  And I say this as I only own a 3000 series card myself and there is no frame generation for the 3000 series!

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 6

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

25 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

So I was watching Blackbox711 stream MSFS yesterday with his new 4090 (FYI, Blackbox is a real life A320 type rated pilot): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1657208635?t=02h16m52s

Blackbox was flying over London, which is a heavy FPS city, with the Fenix A320, which is a heavy FPS plane.  What I saw was amazing. He was using the 4090, playing in 1440p, and I believe most of his settings were Ultra, and he was getting 90 FPS!  The extra frame generation from DLSS 3 made MSFS so smooth for Blackbox. Blackbox said MSFS is very smooth for him now, with very few stutters when he uses frame generation.

It's almost like frame generation was made for flight simulation, to make flight simulation more smooth.  This is some amazing technology. In fact, I would even say that if a flight simulator doesn't have frame generation and isn't utilizing the DLSS 3 technology, that flight simulator is missing out.  And I say this as I only own a 3000 series card myself and there is no frame generation for the 3000 series!

I only use frame generation, I don’t use DLSS, I use TAA. The image ultra sharp with the benefit of frame generation. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I only use frame generation, I don’t use DLSS, I use TAA. The image ultra sharp with the benefit of frame generation. 

that sounds like the optimum setting. I will wait until after AMDs new GPUs launch and see how their FSR 3.0 frame generation equivalent performs. if it has similar performance, it might have some surprising effect on NVidia's 4090 price. If not, it will have some unpleasant effect on my bank account.😀

• Like 5

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

33 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I think the frame generation is only available for DLSS 3 and 4000 series cards. My understanding is, DLSS 3 can do the frame generation - or frame "interpolation" is probably a more accurate term.

I don't think frame generation is available for DLSS 2, although I would have to double check the next time I launch MSFS (I can only use DLSS 2 because I have a 3000 series card).

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

15 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

I think the frame generation is only available for DLSS 3 and 4000 series cards. My understanding is, DLSS 3 can do the frame generation - or frame "interpolation" is probably a more accurate term.

I don't think frame generation is available for DLSS 2, although I would have to double check the next time I launch MSFS (I can only use DLSS 2 because I have a 3000 series card).

You are right that it is only available for 4XXX cards, but Frame Generation can be used without DLSS3. That makes total sense for 4090 users, considering that you get the performance boost without the visual degradation.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

but Frame Generation can be used without DLSS3. That makes total sense for 4090 users, considering that you get the performance boost without the visual degradation.

Exactly this ^^^. You don’t need DLSS enabled, I use TAA to keep it super sharp. Just enable frame generation separate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

Lol, a 2000 dollar card on 1440p. Dear Lordy. 

I agree, ordinarily it wouldn’t make sense. However just for frame generation alone, it would be worth it. 

11 minutes ago, MrRoper said:

Certainly is a game changer. Here is the fenix at EGLL with full FSTL traffic at 4K. Never went below 60FPS 

4090 + EGLL + FENIX - YouTube

Saves me doing it, thanks! There is your answer @Noel you could lock at 60 without fear of ever dropping below it, and have plenty headroom…

• Upvote 1

Hi all

I also have the 4090 card in a new machine. when I turned on DX12 beta with frame generation it certainly was a lot smother.  Sadly MSFS crashed 2 times with DX12 and frame generation on (the crash was with 2 different aircraft  in 2 different places, all temps are fine and no overclocking etc.  I am still using win 10 pro and the cpu is a i9 1290kf ).  So I went back to DX11 and re tried both flights which seamed fine.  

I guess it is due to DX12 still being beta???

Anyone have a suggestion as to what may be causing the crash?  or is this simply something we need to expect with DX12 still being beta.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Best wishes.

Bob

10 minutes ago, rlaycock said:

Hi all

I also have the 4090 card in a new machine. when I turned on DX12 beta with frame generation it certainly was a lot smother.  Sadly MSFS crashed 2 times with DX12 and frame generation on (the crash was with 2 different aircraft  in 2 different places, all temps are fine and no overclocking etc.  I am still using win 10 pro and the cpu is a i9 1290kf ).  So I went back to DX11 and re tried both flights which seamed fine.  

I guess it is due to DX12 still being beta???

Anyone have a suggestion as to what may be causing the crash?  or is this simply something we need to expect with DX12 still being beta.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Best wishes.

Bob

My DX12 hasn’t crashed once. I am using windows 11 though with flip mode enabled in the windows 11 settings. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/optimizations-for-windowed-games-in-windows-11-3f006843-2c7e-4ed0-9a5e-f9389e535952

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

4 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Blackbox was flying over London, which is a heavy FPS city, with the Fenix A320, which is a heavy FPS plane.  What I saw was amazing. He was using the 4090, playing in 1440p, and I believe most of his settings were Ultra, and he was getting 90 FPS!

This is an indirect measurement only of what matters....to me.  I can fly over London at 42FPS on all Ultra, 16x/8x8, but with a TLOD of maybe 120 or so I'll have to try it next.  With near zero frametime variance this equates to perfect smoothness, certainly to me, this is what my brain sees--no room for improvement.  I only personally saw what near zero FTV equates to, and it's truly perfect animation.  Not close, it's perfect.  What matters to me is how that Fenix behaves upon final approach and touchdown this is where the hardware is truly tested.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

What I still dont get:ddo you DX12 guys never see this annoying bug that ground texture tiles disappear and showing just the photoground at almost every airport? For me, this is the reason I cant use DX12 atm, ruins immersion instantly...

• Like 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS