Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

DLSS 3 in MSFS is huge deal for flight sim

3 minutes ago, AnkH said:

What I still dont get:ddo you DX12 guys never see this annoying bug that ground texture tiles disappear and showing just the photoground at almost every airport? For me, this is the reason I cant use DX12 atm, ruins immersion instantly...

Nope. But I do get a crash in DX12 if I pop any window out which is annoying. 

Just now, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Nope.

This is sooo strange that this not affect every user. No clue what could be behind...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

24 minutes ago, AnkH said:

What I still dont get:ddo you DX12 guys never see this annoying bug that ground texture tiles disappear and showing just the photoground at almost every airport? For me, this is the reason I cant use DX12 atm, ruins immersion instantly...

Yes, it happened to me today actually.  Third time at Big Bear airport.  Other two times were no problem.  

One of the things I would like from Asobo next year is to get on top of DX12, and actually optimise it as well if they can.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, MrRoper said:

Certainly is a game changer. Here is the fenix at EGLL with full FSTL traffic at 4K. Never went below 60FPS 

4090 + EGLL + FENIX - YouTube

If this is a 40XX series card and he/she has frame generation turned on, he is getting a lot more frames then what is displayed in the developers display.  This is because the in game DEV display does not reflect true FPS with frame gen enabled.  If you look closely in the upper left at a true frame counter you will see that he/she is more like a 100 FPS.

Edited by Mike S KPDX
  • Like 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

1 hour ago, Noel said:

This is an indirect measurement only of what matters....to me.  I can fly over London at 42FPS on all Ultra, 16x/8x8, but with a TLOD of maybe 120 or so I'll have to try it next.  With near zero frametime variance this equates to perfect smoothness, certainly to me, this is what my brain sees--no room for improvement.  I only personally saw what near zero FTV equates to, and it's truly perfect animation.  Not close, it's perfect.  What matters to me is how that Fenix behaves upon final approach and touchdown this is where the hardware is truly tested.  

I don't understand how people can't see when frames drop below 60fps. Especially when panning the camera. It's incredibly obvious to me. But if it's smooth enough for you then that works in your favour ofc.

Any way, all my flights are mostly 60fps (never really dropping below 40), all on a lowly i5 and 2060 lol. But I bush fly @ a mix of graphical settings (although it runs pretty good over most cities that I've flown over, NY might be the only exception). It looks great to me, and I just have fun flying 🤷‍♂️

Edited by s0cks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Saves me doing it, thanks! There is your answer @Noel you could lock at 60 without fear of ever dropping below it, and have plenty headroom…

Wow, how did you get that out of the video?  What I saw was all the way down to 31.1 or so at touchdown and rollout.  I did the same however in the B78X HD (which is very close to equal to the impact of PMDG 738, surprisingly to me).  I was around 37 or so FPS at KLAX at and after touchdown, but I had traffic off if I'm not mistaken.  Coming into Asobo KLAX at the AGL as in this video I was seeing high 40's, and I'm on 3440x1440.  And, I did catch a few stutters on this video near touchdown compared to while well AGL which was very smooth.  Was this with or w/o frame generation?  I would think w/o at these frame rates, no?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

8 minutes ago, Noel said:

Wow, how did you get that out of the video?  What I saw was all the way down to 31.1 or so at touchdown and rollout.  I did the same however in the B78X HD (which is very close to equal to the impact of PMDG 738, surprisingly to me).  I was around 37 or so FPS at KLAX at and after touchdown, but I had traffic off if I'm not mistaken.  Coming into Asobo KLAX at the AGL as in this video I was seeing high 40's, and I'm on 3440x1440.  And, I did catch a few stutters on this video near touchdown compared to while well AGL which was very smooth.  Was this with or w/o frame generation?  I would think w/o at these frame rates, no?

Look at the frame counter in the top left, not the top right. 

The in-game FPS counter is showing you the frames the MSFS is generating; it doesn't have any way to pick up the Nvidia generated frames. You need an external FPS counter for that - that's what running in the top left. It's ~100fps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Noel said:

video?  What I saw was all the way down to 31.1 or so at touchdown and rollout. 

You need to double that…that’s frame doubling. Dev mode doesn’t report it properly. 

I see, thanks!  I wonder what TLOD on that one...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

5 minutes ago, FlyingGoose said:

It's ~100fps.

It must have been around 62fps at touchdown then.  

• Like 1

Noel

As FlyingGoose said, it`s the top left number that`s important. The video is mostly at ultra settings (TLOD at 200 etc)

Regarding the DX12 airport texture bug, yep I get it but have learnt to live with it. 

One tip to reset them is to use the developer mode and turn on the Options->Airports -> Draw Debug option, and then turn it off.

• Like 1

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

6 minutes ago, MrRoper said:

The video is mostly at ultra settings (TLOD at 200 etc)

Regarding the DX12 airport texture bug, yep I get it but have learnt to live with it. 

One tip to reset them is to use the developer mode and turn on the Options->Airports -> Draw Debug option, and then turn it off.

With that kind of headroom it should be no problem to do TLOD 400?

What is the DX12 airport bug if you will?

Noel

At the end of the day the sim is still heavily CPU limited, so you still need to balance settings. I`m flying airliners on Vatsim mostly so I don't really need a TLOD of 400.

You are still going to stutter etc when loading scenery, AI etc. Just the nature of the sim unfortunately.

The DX12 bug is where some airport ground textures are not loaded or flicker, it happens randomly and can be annoying at times!

• Like 2

Chris Warner

6 minutes ago, MrRoper said:

At the end of the day the sim is still heavily CPU limited, so you still need to balance settings. I`m flying airliners on Vatsim mostly so I don't really need a TLOD of 400.

You are still going to stutter etc when loading scenery, AI etc. Just the nature of the sim unfortunately.

The DX12 bug is where some airport ground textures are not loaded or flicker, it happens randomly and can be annoying at times!

TBH I've not been very impressed w/ the diff between TLOD of 200 and 400, and sometimes even 120 and 200.  In fact, I'm not sure what TLOD is supposed to do.  What kind of 'detail'?  

It appears the main hero here arguably is frame generation.  If the CPU plays no role in each generated frame (it doesn't, does it?) then the pathway to best performance may well be aiming for a MSFS frame lock of say a very easily handled be recent CPUs of 20FPS, then bring in next gen frame generation 4X to take that to 80FPS.  I'm imagining a generated frame just follows an algorithm to create and deploy and intermeditate image.  And if you can do that once between sim generated frames, why not 4X?  It may well happen some day down the road.

Noel

Just now, Noel said:

TBH I've not been very impressed w/ the diff between TLOD of 200 and 400, and sometimes even 120 and 200.  In fact, I'm not sure what TLOD is supposed to do.  What kind of 'detail'?  

It appears the main hero here arguably is frame generation.  If the CPU plays no role in each generated frame (it doesn't, does it?) then the pathway to best performance may well be aiming for a MSFS frame lock of say a very easily handled be recent CPUs of 20FPS, then bring in next gen frame generation 4X to take that to 80FPS.  I'm imagining a generated frame just follows an algorithm to create and deploy and intermeditate image.  And if you can do that once between sim generated frames, why not 4X?  It may well happen some day down the road.

It only inserts one frame, in between each rendered frame. It`s unlikely it will never be able to generate more than one "fake" frame due to the amount of latency this would introduce.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Chris Warner