Sign in to follow this  
jeffhunter

Need Help: Circle to Land App

I'm trying to fly a VOR-C approach into Missoula, MT (KMSO)I'm using Jepp plates from an airliner friend of mine....I did find some good reading here:http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/Circle%20t...20approach.htmlBut I guess I don't really understand how to actually fly the approach. The app plate should be available off airnav.com, but that site is so slow for me I just use these nice jepp plates I got, with a nice little binder my buddy put them in ;)If anyone has this approach or can access airnav, could you please help me out?Ok, let's say I'm inbound from the north (north of the IAF, the MSO VOR) at 10,000 feet mslSomeone check me here:1) (disregarding ATC here haha) I fly direct to the MSO VOR2) Do I just fly the 285 radial outbound? Or do I do an entry or something to intercept that course?3) I do a procedure turn and fly inbound on the 105 radial off MSO4) oh, at the 10DME point I can descend to 7700 correct? (which is where I execute the PT??)5) While flying inbound on the 105, I can drop to my MDA of 6200' for my category of B, 120 kts I guess, in the mooney bravo6) The airport elev is 3205...7) If the weather is good, what do I do when I get to my MDA? just see the airport, enter the pattern and land?8) if the WX is not good, say ceilings are at 6000 (below MDA), I have to execute a missed approach correct? But if there are at 6500, I will breakout just above my MDA and somehow attempt to land??9)How do I actually circle to land, and is it simply a traffic pattern entry???Thanks for any help on this....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Sorry for no help here, I'm also interested. Bumping.Thanks.

Guest n99wb

I'd be happy to help, but the FAA plates don't offer a VOR-C approachILS RWY 11RNAV (GPS) RWY 11GPS-DVOR/DME OR GPS-AVOR/DME OR GPS-BDecide which of these corresponds and I'll see what I can do.

Why did you not use ATC?The VOR-C is no longer an approved approach for that airport however, if you have a older Jepp chart the approach is still in FSX.Ask ATC for the approach with the additional MSO Transition and they will clear you direct to the MSO VOR entry point. Load and Activate the GPS receiver and follow along while the Plane flys the outbound procedure turn and then inbound back to the VOR. You are responsible for Altitudes.The approach charts are already loaded into FSX and all you have to do is pull them up in the GPS receiver. When you cross the VOR make your decision based on weather to continue on a left downwind/base to final for RWY 29 or circle left turn and downwind/base/final for RWY 11.If you reach the VOR inbound and can't maintain a visual reference tell ATC you want to fly the Published Missed approach. If you are still Lock to the GPS reciever the plane will fly that for you also and then enter the holding pattern (and hold) until you tell ATC you want to execute the approach again.GPS receiver in FS9/FSX is a great tool for learning how to execute Transition Approaches/Published Missed Approach Procedures along with proper FS default ATC Control.

Thank you all, yes they are older plates...Oct 06 they say...I think I got it figured out....basically as long as I have the airport environment in site I can circle to land as long as I am above MDA...Otherwise at MDA I have to go and do the MAPAlrighty,,,

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan look at this thread, it has lots of info on circling approaches:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchIf you really want a circling approach that will make a man out of you, try MHTG in Honduras in a 757. heheh.Alternatively there is the arc-dme approach into MGGT in Guatemala. It's pretty fun too but not quite as difficult as MHTG.The key is maintaining visual reference to the airport (runway) when you are doing the circle part. For FSX, to do that you have to be able to really fly/know your airplane well, I think.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I've probably come in too late, but:"A circling approach is a visual flight manouvre...there can be no single procedure designed that will cater for the conduct of a circling approach in every situation. After initial visual contact, the basic assumption is that the runway [note, NOT the airport] environment (ie the runway threshold, or approach lighting aids or other markings identifiable with the runway)will be kept in sight whilst at MDA for circling": AIP (Aust) ENR 1.5More details about the size of the circling area (depends on a/c category) and associated procedures are at http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/public...enr/1_5_1-5.pdfI suspect that our AIP conforms to the ICAO standardregards,Jeff

Jeff Hunter