Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Fenix A320, and why I've got to LOVE it...

30 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Nice Jose- but please let us know when she's uninstalled 😉

C

🤣

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

44 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Nice Jose- but please let us know when she's uninstalled 😉

C

Well, 

MFS is difficult for me to uninstall because of products like the Fenix and the PMDG 737, and a few more, and the unequaled smoothness and graphics / scenery.

I enjoy XP too, specially for the flight dynamics and some sophisticated products, but MFS is here to stay, and I want to believe it'll get even better with time in the areas that are more important for me: flight dynamics and weather.

It's also great to use as a visuals generator for PSX, as you know only too well 😉

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Absolutely mega….love it!!👍😀

Regards

Paul EGCC

39 minutes ago, jcomm said:

and weather.

How much better is X-Planes default depiction of clouds and weather compared to MSFS? I haven't bought XP12 so don't know.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

How much better is X-Planes default depiction of clouds and weather compared to MSFS? I haven't bought XP12 so don't know.

It's different, not better IMO, and surely at present not as complex as the model in ASOBO's mind, although what ASOBO says it's being modelled is far from being finished / polished / bug-free...

Graphically there are conditions under which XP12 skies can look even more close to real than MFS, probably due to colours/shadders (?), but overall I prefer MFS's weather depiction.

Even though MFS is presently not offering a direct method for setting visibility, I have been able to experience low visibility situations that are really close to the numbers. In XP you can directly set it and the end result is good enough for IMC training.

It's a mix of feelings @jarmstro. I prefer XP's flight dynamics, and it's new default ATC has some potential too, but other than that MFS wins easily IMO.

Then, while there are some really great aircraft addons for XP, the same applies to MFS, and at present my preferred among all the platforms I have tried is the Fenix A320, I'd say ex-aequo with the FSLabs A319/20 I own for P3D ( although I am not using P3D ), followed by the Toliss A319 in XP.

The PMDG 737 is probably my preferred PMDG airliner among all I have bought, starting with their 737 for fs9.

@jarmstro, if you get the chance, don't miss XP12 - I am sure you'll like it too!

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 4

Main Simulation Rig:

For me *all* these factors are important:
a) Flight dynamics & physics
b) Systems & avionics
c) World representation as close to reality as possible
d) Weather representation as close to reality as possible

And the only sim that ticks all those boxes currently for me is MSFS. It was a case of MSFS + 3rd party birds ever since May 2022 that ticked these boxes, but now even the core sim as it stands in its SU11 incarnation ticks those boxes, with the bonus of expanded and realistic aerodynamics/physics to support helis and gliders, especially helis (and this is just their first release of helis/gliders support so that only bodes well for the future). Currently no other sim comes close to being the *all-rounder* that MSFS is for me, and they all definitely lag way behind in c) and d).  As far as a) and b) are concerned, I'd say easily MSFS SU11 is at par with others, and even better in some aspects. No brainer then for me 🙂, but always keeping an eye on other offerings if they are compelling enough (even though I prefer to build my ecosystem around one sim)... quite frankly, all else fail to compel currently.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

18 minutes ago, jcomm said:

I prefer XP's flight dynamics,

Thanks for that. So in what way are X-Planes flight dynamics better exactly? For instance, in this respect, how is the Toliss superior to the Fenix with regard to flight dynamics? I need to know this before I consider buying XP.

• Like 1

The clouds on the picture on the right  are all wrong, and there are too many trees......😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

Thanks for that. So in what way are X-Planes flight dynamics better exactly? For instance, in this respect, how is the Toliss superior to the Fenix with regard to flight dynamics? I need to know this before I consider buying XP.

I have tried XP on three different PCs that friends have, and I never liked the flight dynamics pm any of them. But, I am comparing it to the feeling I get flying a real airplane, so maybe that's not fair. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Great video.  Videos like that remind that even though MSFS has areas to improve etc, I still feel the need to pinch myself that we have such a great platform to support our hobby.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

It's a mix of feelings @jarmstro. I prefer XP's flight dynamics, and it's new default ATC has some potential too, but other than that MFS wins easily IMO.

Been using XP11 and from what I've seen of XP12, it looks more like an improved version of XP11 rather than a competitor to MSFS.

I agree with your overall assessment.

XP has some advantages in simulation - although I think MSFS' flight model has a great underlying approach (which you can notice in action with slipping for example). Where MSFS really excels, is the big picture.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved