Sign in to follow this  
tull

GSX Pro...Im enjoying it and might purchase it?

On 11/23/2022 at 5:32 PM, environmental_ice said:

Anyone remember AES?

Wow that’s a blast from the past. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MDFlier said:

Interesting. I find it easy to use and intuitive. 

It's a definite net plus?  I wonder what it is that makes others comment otherwise.  What do you like most about it in general?

11 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

No fiddling around needed, at all. At max you download a profile which takes 2 seconds, but it's not needed, really just for custom pushback and true-to-life vehicle placement. I don't do ANYTHING in regards to GSX during my flight preparation. I just use it, no fiddling around.

Well that sounds very hopeful.  What does it do well, and not so well, if you will?  I always thought I would buy it upon release but read enough negative comments I lost the drive to buy but perhaps I should give it a real look.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

My 2 cents on it is that if you are big into flight preparation and regularly sit on the tarmac for about 30 minutes before taxi going through checklists etc. then you'll get the most out of GSX and likely enjoy it, warts and all. I only have the demo like you but I'll probably wait until more features are added and refined before purchasing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Noel said:

That's where I'm at too.  That and until de-icing comes I don't think I'll go there.  The P3D version was very turnkey, so I'm waiting and hoping for that.

De-icing is already in.

I have been using GSX since release. In all that time I used the user-defined pushback maybe twice. The standard GSX pushback options are sufficient in pretty much all situations. I only use a handful of GSX airport configurations, usually to work around errors in MSFS airport layouts. The only real work required was setting up aircraft configurations, but that is not too difficult and there are many configurations available to download.

There may be issues with some add-on aircraft like the PMDG and Fenix (I don't have those). All I can say it works great with the BAe 146.

Edited by Johan217
  • Like 1

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?

I am and feel very proud of myself buying this today, I am in a soft cloud of happiness floating. I am installing it now, though, is it normal that the updater button is active in the FSDT installer always?, always there is a update or you can reupdate your update updatable?

6 hours ago, Noel said:

It's a definite net plus?  I wonder what it is that makes others comment otherwise.  What do you like most about it in general?

Well that sounds very hopeful.  What does it do well, and not so well, if you will?  I always thought I would buy it upon release but read enough negative comments I lost the drive to buy but perhaps I should give it a real look.

It was much more instable when it released, in that I often had to restart couatl from the windows menu and stuff. Since about a month it's perfectly stable. It does sometimes take a couple of seconds before the menu appears (like when you completely reset or move the aircraft to another gate via GSX-teleportation), but that's it. Couatl doesn't crash anymore for me, and that's in my opinion the biggest deal for most people that had problems with stability in the beginning.
What I like most is the immersion it brings to the table for airliner operations, especially with the thousands of regional logos and models etc.. It's not really true to real life (like you don't "call" catering as the pilot e.g. and the ramp agent takes waaaay too long to connect the tow bar), but it brings a lot more immersion than MSFS' default ground handling. I also just like visible passengers boarding my aircraft, it gives my flight more "sense", but that could be just me. Apart from immersion it's automatization of pushback. Just clicking "nose left" or "nose right" (or even custom pushbacks to other spots) and then continuing with preparing the aircraft is much more realistic and enjoyable than any other pushback tool I know of. I think GSX is worth it for the pushback alone. Also pushback speed is spot on.

I think GSX is more for guys that actually simulate real flights and real procedures, not so much for those that take the default 747 and get it going within 2 minutes. You need to cherish the slowness and complexity of airliner operations, then GSX fits right in.

I suggest you download the free demo and try on of the included airports and see if you like it. Nothing to lose here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Noel said:

First,  as Johan217 said above,  you don't really need to use it that often. I find that it is only necessary if the parking has an unusual orientation such that a simple left or right selection doesn't put the airplane in a good position for starting taxi to the runway. I generally continue the flight and complete it,  then after shutting down the airplane I use the restart flight option to reposition myself back to the starting gate. Customizing is easy. I select pushback, use the arrows to move the plane to where I want the push to end,  use a function key to rotate it so it faces the correct direction,  and press enter to complete it. On rare occasions, additional "waypoints" are needed.  Adding them is a simple matter of hitting a function key to create them, arrows to move them,  and function keys to rotate or switch between them. The path the push will take is clearly shown along with the final position of the airplane. Press enter to save,  and then exit the sim. From that point on, whenever I depart from that gate, my custom push is available. It is a one time change for each gate that needs to be adjusted. 

I have done one or two gates where I added multiple waypoints to get the plane out of a corner gate,  or one that requires a longer push to get the plane in the clear. 

I like the control it gives me when I need it. Once you get used to which keys do what,  it is really easy and intuitive to use. 

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I miss that in the Follow me car you could program the route over an airport chart as you receive the ATC taxi clearances.

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

...I think GSX is more for guys that actually simulate real flights and real procedures...I suggest you download the free demo and try on of the included airports and see if you like it. Nothing to lose here.

That is me to a tee and I used GSX w/ FSCaptain w/ P3D.  Do you know if there are particular issues w/ PMDG 737 and/or AS CRJ and B78X HD?  These are my main three airliners and I use A Pilot's Life and this is all I do, fly airliners right now from cold and dark.

Thank you it really seems like a probable good fit for me!

One more question if you will:  performance impact I'm thinking must be quite low because little else is moving at this point in a flight plan.  Right now I'm amazed at the performance impact of RT Online Traffic.  I just completed pushback in the 738 at EDDH.  Frame rate was right around 30-31.  I saw NO planes in the air but when I turned RTOT off right up to 40fps.  Bizarre.  I turned it back on and it took a while for perf to degrade and made off the ground and by the time we were at FL150 or so I noticed frames dropped dowm to 29 or so!  Decided to try turning off RTOT--back to around 44fps.  Really unfortunate and I think it's much worse post SU11.

Cheers

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Best place to buy GSX Pro from?  Is it available thru the Marketplace?  I'm up enroute at this moment so the Marketplace is some 35K feet below me, somewhere...... ;o)

Noel

The trick to understanding custom pushback is that it works backwards starting from the point where you want the aircrafft to be, not at the point where the aircraft is currently parked. Any additional waypoints you want to add work in this backwards fashion as well.

You can do silly things like this if you often fly from the same airports (skip forward to about 2:20)

If you do want to play around with the editing functions in GSX a key part is learning the main drone cam shortcut keys since this is what GSX uses to move your viewpoint. If you have a controller you can use that instead.

One more useful feature even if you don't use the other stuff is that you can reposition your aricraft at any gate in case you accidently started on the ruwnay - no need to go back to the sim menu.

• Like 1

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

I have it for P3Dv5, and I get a brief stutter during short finals. I guess it's because of all the GSX-enhanced jetways that pop up.

How is performance in MSFS with GSX? I'm on the fence regarding this.

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

That is me to a tee and I used GSX w/ FSCaptain w/ P3D.  Do you know if there are particular issues w/ PMDG 737 and/or AS CRJ and B78X HD?  These are my main three airliners and I use A Pilot's Life and this is all I do, fly airliners right now from cold and dark.

Thank you it really seems like a probable good fit for me!

One more question if you will:  performance impact I'm thinking must be quite low because little else is moving at this point in a flight plan.  Right now I'm amazed at the performance impact of RT Online Traffic.  I just completed pushback in the 738 at EDDH.  Frame rate was right around 30-31.  I saw NO planes in the air but when I turned RTOT off right up to 40fps.  Bizarre.  I turned it back on and it took a while for perf to degrade and made off the ground and by the time we were at FL150 or so I noticed frames dropped dowm to 29 or so!  Decided to try turning off RTOT--back to around 44fps.  Really unfortunate and I think it's much worse post SU11.

Cheers

I don't fly the 787, but the 737 and the CRJ work perfectly out of the box. Just be aware that you need to close the doors on the 737 manually (they open automatically via GSX, no idea why they can't close automaticaly) after e.g. catering or boarding. Same for the CRJ. But that's not a huge thing, GSX will tell you to close the door and you just do it via the EFB. In the Fenix all doors work automatically with GSX (opening and closing), so it's probably something the other aircraft devs have to enable.
Oh and for the CRJ - as of now if you are at a gate with jetway, GSX will not show pax with the CRJ; the reason is some height difference between the CRJ door and the jetway exit, but GSX is working on a fix from what I gathered. On a stand (with stairs) all is working normally with the CRJ.
I think everthing else (refueling etc.) will be familiar for you from P3D.

Performance impact is very little to none, they have excellent LODs coded into GSX which mean that there's only an impact when you are standing right at the gate, and quantity wise it's less than 1 FPS for me on a medium PC with 30 FPS limit (no change with or without GSX running).

Edited by Fiorentoni
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

How is performance in MSFS with GSX

It does impact FPS a bit when you call the GSX vehicles. How much effect it has will likely depend on your hardware and your settings. My settings are pretty conservative so no much impact but YMMV.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

39 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I have it for P3Dv5, and I get a brief stutter during short finals. I guess it's because of all the GSX-enhanced jetways that pop up.

How is performance in MSFS with GSX? I'm on the fence regarding this.

What you experience in P3D is not the actual GSX but the GSX/Sode-jetways that load in. In MSFS nothing from GSX gets loaded in during landing, at least on 3rd party airports. It gets only loaded in after landing when you choose your gate.