Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Nav lights dec in size the more zoomed in you are

I've always wondered about this.  I guess it is a case of poetic license to allow you to see planes from farther away?

Here's zoomed out:spacer.png

Same plane, now zoomed in.  spacer.png

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Do you have bloom on? I don't see nav lights like that, but I have bloom off.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

33 minutes ago, Dazzlercee23 said:

Yes, it is the bloom option that causes this issue. Unfortunately, the sun looks horrible with bloom off.

Yes, the sun doesn't look as good as with bloom on, but I prefer that than having all the nav lights and landing lights look like giant white balls. Can't have all, I guess. 🙁

• Like 2

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

The problem with the exterior lights on AI aircraft is a model issue with the default Asobo AI planes. The exterior lights look better on FSLTL models. However still not perfect but at least better than those horrible ugly oversized square pixel looking things on the vanilla models.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Thanks all that 'splains it.  Perhaps the compromise/adaptation is do bloom ON during daytime flights and OFF for dawn/night/dusk flights.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 minutes ago, captain420 said:

The problem with the exterior lights on AI aircraft is a model issue with the default Asobo AI planes. The exterior lights look better on FSLTL models. However still not perfect but at least better than those horrible ugly oversized square pixel looking things on the vanilla models.

That is good to know.  I think I need to try FSLTL.  Right now I'm on the edge of not being able to use air traffic in complex airports but perhaps w/ its ability to limit number of planes it may be the same or even better than default plus ST.

• Like 1

Noel

52 minutes ago, captain420 said:

That is a different issue (the "square pixel looking"), that doesn't happen when using 1080p resolution. The issue we are talking about happens with any resolution and also with FSLTL and it's caused by the bloom.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

11 hours ago, Dazzlercee23 said:

Yes, it is the bloom option that causes this issue. Unfortunately, the sun looks horrible with bloom off.

Also, the ambient lighting looks very innatural with bloom off. However, I like the poetic license.of oversized AI plane nav lights.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

I'd go along with the idea that it's poetic, or artistic, licence. Sometimes, realism can be 'boring' in that, in real life, you might not spot an aircraft from your cockpit from a great distance, but it creates a bit more 'action' or 'interest' for a sim flyer to see.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

3 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

I'd go along with the idea that it's poetic, or artistic, licence. Sometimes, realism can be 'boring' in that, in real life, you might not spot an aircraft from your cockpit from a great distance, but it creates a bit more 'action' or 'interest' for a sim flyer to see.

Yeah, Asobo has taken quite a few artistic approaches, and this is certainly one of them. Others include the "camera" system where what you see simulates not the human eye but an iPhone lens, the prop spin animation which is what a camera sees when it records a spinning prop and not your eyes, and night lighting which utilizes sepia mask.

Personally I dislike these sorts of artistic liberties, but that's just me. Others enjoy them, I'm sure. I don't want to ruin their enjoyment.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

9 hours ago, WestAir said:

Personally I dislike these sorts of artistic liberties, but that's just me. Others enjoy them, I'm sure. I don't want to ruin their enjoyment.

I get that. My guess would be that the majority of those who it particularly bothers are real world pilots and those who are unfazed by it are more likely to be sim-only pilots. Certainly, with prop spin, almost the only time I see a prop spinning in real life is when I'm at an airport - I've never flown in a prop, let alone in the cockpit, so my main reference is TV, which of course tends to show a prop in much the same way as the sim. In fact, it feels wrong to my eyes to be unaware of any prop movement, though I do use prop mods which reduce it to a more realistic level. I suppose for a real world pilot being conscious of prop spin may mean it's not spinning fast enough and there's a problem!

Airport lighting, and the visibility of airports and runways from too far away is often cited as a fault in some people's eyes, but of course the sim is trying to cater to non-pilots as well, many of whom have no experience of - or desire to learn - IFR or following ATC instructions, and so need to see their target from a greater distance than would be the case in reality.

• Upvote 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

25 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

I get that. My guess would be that the majority of those who it particularly bothers are real world pilots and those who are unfazed by it are more likely to be sim-only pilots. Certainly, with prop spin, almost the only time I see a prop spinning in real life is when I'm at an airport - I've never flown in a prop, let alone in the cockpit, so my main reference is TV, which of course tends to show a prop in much the same way as the sim. In fact, it feels wrong to my eyes to be unaware of any prop movement, though I do use prop mods which reduce it to a more realistic level. I suppose for a real world pilot being conscious of prop spin may mean it's not spinning fast enough and there's a problem!

Airport lighting, and the visibility of airports and runways from too far away is often cited as a fault in some people's eyes, but of course the sim is trying to cater to non-pilots as well, many of whom have no experience of - or desire to learn - IFR or following ATC instructions, and so need to see their target from a greater distance than would be the case in reality.

Feels plausible.

In the same way as always, the answer is in providing simmers with options (wherever possible).
Asobo cannot please everyone with the same features, so let the people select the look of their sim from some preset options.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

40 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Feels plausible.

In the same way as always, the answer is in providing simmers with options (wherever possible).
Asobo cannot please everyone with the same features, so let the people select the look of their sim from some preset options.

I imagine that will come with time. Asobo is in this for the long haul, and the number of "big new features" will naturally decrease over time, leaving room for smaller concerns like better realism settings and configurations.

I hope.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.