Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

How are VC textures edited?

Hi everyone,Are the .bmp's for the VC's coded into a file and unavailable for editing? I have the Aerosoft aircraft and while the VC's are acceptable I would like to spruce them up a little using photoshop. Can someone tell if there is a way to access the files.Thanks,

\Robert Hamlich/

All textures in the a/c's texture folders are compressed bitmaps. In FSX, DDSDXTn format is used for the most part.You can "uncompress" any of them using either Imagetool.exe (supplied in the FSX SDK), or Martin Wright's freeware DXTBMP.exe utility program.http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,Funny, I did not see any of the VC textures but I did find the 2D panel .bmp's. I will have another look.Cheers,

\Robert Hamlich/

If you have Photoshop it's easier to install the Adobe Photoshop Normal Map and DDS Authoring Plug-ins from http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.htmlThe DDS Authoring plug-in let's you open and save DDS files without having to uncomppress them with other software. It's just as if you are editing jpg's or bmp's or whatever. Easy as can be. That's how I made my RealAir SF260 VC mod.http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Loca...&ImageID=169068I usually open a DDS file, change what I want to in layers, save it as a PSD (for future edits: you'll never know when you need it again!), flatten it and simply save it again as a DDS. YOu can of course also simply edit the file and save it immediately. without 'backing it up' as psd.P.S. If you plan to use this one, be sure to search this forum for the right settings: you have to save the files with certain options in order to get things working. I can check it out for you but that won't happen before tomorrow evening... Maybe someone else can post the right save options.