Sign in to follow this  
SquadronLeader

DC design AV8B Harrier II released by Just Flights

5 minutes ago, SquadronLeader said:

Not seen any feedback on this recent release - anyone out there purchased it - and if so - what are your initial thoughts?

I'm planning on purchasing this, but I'm currently on holiday so I haven't got access to PC until later tomorrow, I too have been wondering about how good it is.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Just watched a review, the textures are appalling, looks like something out of FS9

• Upvote 1

Astonishingly bad textures and shallow system depth, but they will chime in here in a minute and tell you that they just have a "different target group".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

Astonishingly bad textures and shallow system depth, but they will chime in here in a minute and tell you that they just have a "different target group".

Not defending the textures, but surely it must be allowed to develop for the casual gamers. 

• Upvote 1

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

29 minutes ago, espent said:

Not defending the textures, but surely it must be allowed to develop for the casual gamers. 

No doubt, but since when do casual gamers like bad graphics? Casual gamers buy Carenado-ish stuff, great looking planes that do not need much knowledge to operate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, espent said:

Gamers like good graphics. Especially PC ones.

Edited by Tuskin38

All of my aircraft are getting texture and modeling upgrades going forward. Expectations are getting much higher these days, and I just can't do it all myself any more ( which I have done up to now because I really enjoy the work ). So, I've hired a professional artist who will be upgrading all of my products over time, interiors and exteriors alike. Systems depth is indeed 100% spot-on for the target market, which is the vast, vast majority of users. That's what they want. That's life. It always was true, but with the console now fast becoming the dominant force in the market, that's even more the case.

There are always plenty of YouTube previews out there for folks to make their own judgement on whether a product is right for them before buying, as well as regular updates on my own Facebook page during production, and of course I regularly update all of my airplanes as MSFS continues to add more features. Everybody can make their own decisions. Feedback for the Harriers has been overwhelmingly positive, and the two real-life Harrier pilots who helped test the product ( one from the USMC, the other the RAF ) really like the airplane, the handling and the systems. They have several thousand hours on-type between them, so they're my barometer for whether an airplane is "right" or not.

It's for this reason that I have recently withdrawn from all social media forums - this will be my last post on Avsim. I used to regularly contribute here and elsewhere, but I have realised that doing so does not achieve much these days. I've come to realise that sales, Marketplace ratings and continuous evidence of fast-growing return-custom are far more important to gauging how well I'm doing what I'm doing. I've also come to realise that the more strongly critical opinions of my products are genuinely and increasingly very much out-of-touch with the reality of what the majority of flight simmers actually want from their products. So, in that respect, I do indeed target a different market, and it has worked spectacularly well and continues to do so.

Best wishes to all here for the future ( and Happy Thanksgiving to all 'Mericans! )

• Like 6
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, DC1973 said:

It's for this reason that I have recently withdrawn from all social media forums - this will be my last post on Avsim. 

Bluntly honest as usual.  Thanks for having the courage to come on here and face up to the criticism.  It can be a tough crowd here sometimes as you well know.

I hope you reconsider your withdrawal from Avsim. I know it can be time consuming rechecking your posts to get the tone right before pressing the 'post' button, but for some of us customers it is useful, and others need to understand what you are trying to do.  I have bought a number of your aircraft, like them, and I appreciate the regular updates.  I think it is also useful to come on and 'defend' yourself if you need to.  

Like you say, people with either buy your products or not, the 'sim snobs' don't have to bother if they don't want to. 
It is not like you are ripping people off like some other (supposedly well established) developers I could mention.

PS.  I am glad you are doing well.  I intend to buy the Harrier, and I do not expect a 'DCS' aircraft at your price point.  Sometimes peoples expectations are a bit out of whack!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

8 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Sometimes peoples expectations are a bit out of whack!

Well said, Bob! I mean, Rob.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DC1973 said:

It's for this reason that I have recently withdrawn from all social media forums - this will be my last post on Avsim.

I hope not.  Don't let a few people stop you from contributing here.  If I did, I wouldn't post here either.  I like hearing your perspective and I happen to like DC/SC Designs and the way you do things.

• Like 3

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I bought this the moment I got the email saying it was available. I don't want a study-level anything, life's too short. I like this aircraft and have had versions of it for P3D and XP (still got and using an XP version - forget who made it), and this version is rather fine afaic. I don't see what the grumbling about the textures is all about, it looks perfectly adequate to me. I just slammed this on to the system a few minutes ago and tried it out. No manual reading, start hot on the runway and away we go. Perfectly fine and a great airplane.

I will familiarise myself with it, and I'll even read the manual, as I know I'll have to to get to grips with it properly. But from my experience with the other versions of this, and also with the MV-22, once you've got the vector thrust controls, or whatever they're called (and that's about my level of interest in the mechanics of these things) mapped and in hand this will be a very fun aircraft. Just enough to have to learn to take advantage of the unusual features, but hopefully no having to pretend to be a real pilot malarkey.

Money well spent.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

While the system depth is exactly my cup of tea, the textures indeed need some work. It looks too much like FSX/P3D at the moment. I believe Dean when he says it will be better in a next update but maybe it's better to get the product right before releasing it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1