Sign in to follow this  
blingthinger

XP12 Early Access status live stream

Looks like a youtube live stream to give a status update is scheduled for Nov 27. There's also a link to submit questions.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

And, please don't forget to submit your questions so that they can, luckily get selected:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSei1Tcuox0bam4DvKnXEOYb_xL1FUlF40T3L2xvdGYOgXad7g/viewform

I asked a few already...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Ok a few takeaways

-dark cockpits are going away

-3d Rain shafts are coming

-3d volumetric low level fog is also on the way

-god rays planned

-wind and turbulence improvements coming

-weather engine will be open to 3rd party but there will be limit

-they are actively looking at satellite imagery streaming but not a top priority. They really want to improve ground scenery.

-Most of the team is fully focused on bug fixing right now for the 12.0 release specially the graphical bugs.

-They are actively hiring more people for scenery, networking, marketing etc.

Edited by Baber20
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

Most important info left out in that list imo. 

Amy was announced as an official Laminar Employee. She is only the Developer who made the UNS for the Q400, probably one of the best implementations of an FMC in a desktop sim. Its INCREDIBLE news for XP12. Similar to WorkingTitle coming to MSFS2020, no joke.

Her expertise can bring truly state of the art navigation systems as default into XP12

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Alexis Mefano

I noticed cloud improvements in the build Austin was flying - notably flatter, softer layers.  Very pleased to hear cloud opacity is being looked at.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Upvote 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I usually watch YT videos at 2x speed. When I watch a video where Austin is talking, I think I have the video at 2x speed, but then I check and it's playing at normal speed.

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

8 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I noticed cloud improvements in the build Austin was flying - notably flatter, softer layers.  Very pleased to hear cloud opacity is being looked at.

Certainly noticed this aswell. Specially the far clouds looked much better.

• Like 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

2 hours ago, Baber20 said:

-They are actively hiring more people for scenery, networking, marketing etc.

" 'cause XP12 is the 'end' of LR!!!"

Nothing says growth like the list of positions they are hiring for. No signs of the sim being abandoned like what happens elsewhere.

• Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

2 hours ago, Baber20 said:

This single live dev session by Laminar was more engaging, entertaining and informative than those 10 or more live Dev Q&As I watched of Asobo. I hope they do more of these.

The last 6 months or so have very much felt like Laminar getting to grips with their strengths whilst "the other sim" has had to come to terms with its weaknesses.

I really like the "there's room for both" LR have carved out (there isnt tho imho... there can be only one.. and still not changing my mind on who that is, but time will tell... SU11 seems to have gone down reasonably well).

Its been sooo long since LR did a "full" dev Q&A tho, they generally did one a year, 4 years now since their last, not including the one from 2019 that got pulled....

I do kinda prefer the new format, even if it does feel a little "borrowed".

Although not to forget the webinar they did last year.

FSA seem to be a good/great choice of venue, wonder if Asobo will get involved.....

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

I really like the "there's room for both" LR have carved out (there isnt tho imho... there can be only one.. and still not changing my mind on who that is, but time will tell... SU11 seems to have gone down reasonably well).

Just after the broadcast I did another flight in XP12, near Reno in the USA.  I followed that with the same flight in MSFS fully updated to SU11.  The comparison is interesting because in some respects MSFS should win hands down, but it doesn't for me. MSFS clouds are very good indeed, as is the water,  The trees have greater coverage with individual trees being picked out.  Terrain is good, and with some Reshade filters the colours are good also.  I used the Google Map tool with 'High LOD' option selected, so ground detail was acceptable.

I completely understand that this list of MSFS positives will win over many simmers, yet these positives are muted for me because of the excellent atmosphere and lighting portrayal in XP12 - I feel more immersed in XP12, even though certain aspects are not as good as MSFS.  

Probable more simmers will prefer initial exposure to MSFS than XP12, but if they do give XP12 a chance I would not be surprised with any of them that get 'pulled in' 🙂

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I just watched Austin flying the Lancair again and realised the cloud opacity looks fixed, no more distant clouds seen through nearer clouds!

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

MSFS should win hands down, but it doesn't for me.

I'm Linux on my main machine.

M1 Macbook air for my backup.

If I was to spend some time on MSFS, I'd be getting an xbox series X for my next console.

But I only flightsim in [PS]VR, I can never go back to 2D.

So unless/until that is an option I'm reliant on the experiences of others such as yourself to form an opinion.

So super hyped for openXR support. Highlight of the presentation for me.

watched it all on my right monitor while getting

working on the center and left monitors...

AutoATC Developer