Sign in to follow this  
Paul K

Inibuilds G-21A Goose impressions ?

The 40th Anniversary DC-3, Beaver and A310 are getting a lot of comments, but little mention of the Inibuilds Goose, which is odd as it's a go-anywhere aircraft. It could be that a lot of people already have the Big Radials version. Personally, I have mixed feelings about the Inibuilds one, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks of it.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

24 minutes ago, Paul K said:

The 40th Anniversary DC-3, Beaver and A310 are getting a lot of comments, but little mention of the Inibuilds Goose, which is odd as it's a go-anywhere aircraft. It could be that a lot of people already have the Big Radials version. Personally, I have mixed feelings about the Inibuilds one, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks of it.

I think you probably know the answer.  It's seems to be alright for free, and nothing much wrong with it, but it is a bit average. 

Strangely, one YouTuber reviewing the whole 40th anniversary pack, said he preferred this one to the Big Radials one.

Do you have the Big Radials one?  What are your mixed feelings about the one in the pack?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I wish I could remember the Grumman Goose payware i had in FSX. That thing was incredible. Just keeping the engines running while taxiing was a feat in itself. The 40th Anniversary Goose is like a toy in comparison. A simple start and go type plane. Gives me almost no sense of it's age. I would hope the Big Radials version is a lot better.

EDIT: Ok, so to satisfy my curiosity I dug deep into my internet past to see what that payware Goose was I used to fly in FSX, and it turns out it wasn't even a Goose. Haha. My memory stinks. It was the PBY Catalina. That thing was so much fun!

Edited by s0cks

1 hour ago, s0cks said:

I wish I could remember the Grumman Goose payware i had in FSX. That thing was incredible. Just keeping the engines running while taxiing was a feat in itself. The 40th Anniversary Goose is like a toy in comparison. A simple start and go type plane. Gives me almost no sense of it's age. I would hope the Big Radials version is a lot better.

EDIT: Ok, so to satisfy my curiosity I dug deep into my internet past to see what that payware Goose was I used to fly in FSX, and it turns out it wasn't even a Goose. Haha. My memory stinks. It was the PBY Catalina. That thing was so much fun!

Personally,  I like my Goose to have retractable wingtip floats.   I'll stick with rebuilt FSX version.    https://flightsim.to/file/19718/grumman-goose-g21a-redux-ii

7 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I think you probably know the answer.  It's seems to be alright for free, and nothing much wrong with it, but it is a bit average. 

Strangely, one YouTuber reviewing the whole 40th anniversary pack, said he preferred this one to the Big Radials one.

Do you have the Big Radials one?  What are your mixed feelings about the one in the pack?

I don't have the Big Radials one. Generally speaking, I like this Inibuilds Goose, particularly the sparse vintage instrumentation, but it's a little tricky to fly. Pitch axis is very sensitive, while roll is quite sluggish. The exhaust heat blur (which I've never been sold on in MSFS anyway) is overdone, I think. The take-off is very tricky if you don't keep the locked tail-wheel firmly on the ground - a three-point take off is almost obligatory, from my experience. I see there is now an autopilot add-on at Flightsim.To so I'll grab that.

26 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Personally,  I like my Goose to have retractable wingtip floats.   I'll stick with rebuilt FSX version.    https://flightsim.to/file/19718/grumman-goose-g21a-redux-ii

I liked the OZx Goose in FSX/P3D, but the blurry cockpit textures and instruments have put me off it. Still a very good model over all, however.

It's odd that the Inbuilds aircraft is slow to roll, while the OZx is quite responsive - a case of different sources of data maybe, who knows.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

48 minutes ago, Paul K said:

...It's odd that the Inbuilds aircraft is slow to roll, while the OZx is quite responsive - a case of different sources of data maybe, who knows.

Hopefully someone will do a flight model mod for it on flightsim.to.  I think pitch and roll can be adjusted separately in the config files, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Meanwhile, the Big Radials one is a third off on Orbx.  I suppose they will have to compete with free now, even if it is a 'lesser' plane.

• Like 1

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I've also noticed my Goose doesn't have any water reflections too, so that's annoying. Looks odd sitting on the water with no reflection beneath it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Hopefully someone will do a flight model mod for it on flightsim.to. 

Yeah, that'd be great. It surprises me how many of these aircraft actually need it.

5 hours ago, s0cks said:

I've also noticed my Goose doesn't have any water reflections too, so that's annoying. Looks odd sitting on the water with no reflection beneath it.

That's strange!  I thought it might be more down to the water if it reflects a plane or not.  Or maybe the Goose is a Vampire aircraft!  :biggrin:

5 hours ago, s0cks said:

I filed a bug report about this the other day. If people could vote for it it would be good.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/inibuilds-goose-from-40th-anniversary-doesnt-have-water-reflections/559393

• Like 1

my African sceneries for MSFS : https://darshonaut.blogspot.com/p/msfs-2020.html

Is there a mod of a GPS autopilot? or the multifunction screen glass cockpit version of the Goose?

30 minutes ago, peloto said:

Is there a mod of a GPS autopilot? or the multifunction screen glass cockpit version of the Goose?

Yes, but it isn't brilliant.  It will only work from key bindings.  (Unless you have the paid version of the PMS).

https://flightsim.to/file/44602/grumman-goose-g-21a-autopilot-mod

• Upvote 1