Sign in to follow this  
roadrabbit149

Uncontrollable Ground Yaw

Can anyone flying JustFlight's Piper Arrow III suggest what settings to use for control sensivity, control response and control stability augmentation? Also, what, if any, changes to the control response curve are recommended.

The reason I ask is that having installed this aircraft model, I can fly easily once airborne. The problem is the take-off run above 35 knots, and the landing roll after touchdown. In both cases the aircraft veers of randomly to one side, then over-responds to rudder input (whether coarse or fine inputs). In both cases I usually finish up well off the runway and onto the grass. I have flown this aircraft in real-life and never had this problem.

The same problem occurred with the X-Plane 11 default Beech Baron until the EHM version was put out by a fellow simmer, and the 'Ultimate Baron' by moossaa3.

Appreciate any help given.

rr

Intel i9900K @ 3.60 GHz, nVidia RTX 2080i (11 GB RAM onboard),
32 GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 1TB SSD, 500 GB SSD, ASUSTek Z390-Plus Mobo
(LGA1151); Running P3Dv5.4, MSFS2020 and XPlane11;

That being said, I never had an issue with the Turbo Arrow (with REP) in XP11. There's a bit of torque on takeoff, but nothing that can be countered with some rudder input. I used zero stability assist and all default control curves.

IIRC, XP11 was generally a bit iffy regarding ground roll friction modeling, so lateral stability is lower than it would be on the real thing.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Hi Bjoern,

Yes, having finally reduced stability augmentation to zero, and sensitivity in yaw to 10 to 15 %, the aircraft (standard, not Turbo Arrow in my case) 'flies' as you describe. I have found initially flat response curves to work best for me. Co-ordinates I now use are: 0.0/0.0; 70.0/15.0; 100.0/100.0.

I am not sure what the 'stablity augmentation' setings are there for - on every aircraft I have flown on X-Plane 11 the only setting that works is 'Zero'. Any other setting creates major handling problems. I'm obviously missing something here!!

Don't worry about it. That setting does not exist anymore in XP12 anyway. There's only controller curves to tweak input and that's it.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Excellent!