Sign in to follow this  
Gabe777

P3D v5 Disappearing Autogen and Blurries, still a Thing ?

So now I've upgraded to a 13700k, 3080Ti 32GB DDR5 5400 (CL36) ... off a c7000MB/s M.2 drive....

...Is P3D still going run like "rude word left out" ?

Last time I tried v4 with a i7 7700k and a GTX 1080 every time I decended to land in say a PMDG 747, as I broke the cloud base at 3000ft AGL... the autogen would be missing and the ground textures all blurry. EVERY time.

So I guess I'm asking: has v5 improved in this area, and/or ... will a much more powerful PC make a difference in this regard ?

I've always loved the Active Sky skies/weather and custom airports... and of course GSX that works (!) and all my amazing study level sims; but the blurry mess that scenery can become ... at least the last time I ran it ... is just too much having been running MSFS for a while.

Thnx for advices.

(P.S. I now despise MSFS. Beauty really is, only skin deep... and ever moving targets with constant 'buggy' updates / server issues, are a PiTA. Every update kills me, a little more, inside.)

Edited by Gabe777

I created a custom refresh rate for my G-Sync 244 hz monitor. 1920×1080 capped @ 35 fps.

Helps 100% for blurries. Internal limiter is off.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Yes, P3D will still manage to disappoint even after spending hours tweaking. The only solution I ever found to autogen disappearing was to set the autogen draw distance to medium. Even with a 5800X3D and 3080ti the sim still sh$ts the bed and chokes on anything higher. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I can see the autogen being loaded in the distance (Autogen Draw Distance set to HIGH) in P3Dv4.5HF2, but I do not suffer from "blurries" these days. I have also recently switched on shadows for buildings and simulation objects, as it seems that my GTX 980Ti can handle it. I also have Scenery Complexity and Autogen Buildings/Trees set to EXTREMELY DENSE, so not bad for a PC powered by an i5 7600k :smile: Of course, I get stutters in various locations around the UK (most of these disappear if I disable my AI planes; not something that I want to do), but it has always been a puzzle why these do not seem to be related to scenery density. For example, I can fly around (and over) most of London without encountering the really bad stutters, but I get them in a specific location between Aberdeen and Glasgow in the middle of nowhere! :huh:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

the autogen would be missing and the ground textures all blurry

Sounds like you over-did your settings, and/or didn't limit the FPS.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

There was never anything wrong with P3D. 

Increase your FFTF to dedicate more PC resources to scenery loading and your problem will be fixed. 

I have very reasonable settings and still get blurries in anything beyond the 1st circle of LOD around the aircraft.  Very evident when you look straight down vs a few miles out.  I also get the popping autogen and very slow drawing autogen textures.  I mean I can change views and literally wait 10-15 seconds for P3D to finish loading the textures.  This is on a 12900 with a 3080ti and fairly reasonable settings.  

All things I hope can be improved out of the box with the next iteration.

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Is P3D v5 any better ?

90 percent complain of autogen loading in v4.

I turned it off at one point.

I'm thinking even a 4090 Ti  and a 13900k wouldn't make any difference with something like Orbx True Earth....

3 hours ago, psolk said:

I mean I can change views and literally wait 10-15 seconds for P3D to finish loading the textures.  This is on a 12900 with a 3080ti and fairly reasonable settings. 

Really ?

1 hour ago, Gabe777 said:

90 percent complain of autogen loading in v4.

I guess I must be in the 10% 🙂 in fact I run with around double the amount of Autogen that's available via the sliders.

In P3D v5 you can more finely control the main thread and their helper threads towards which cores you want to run them on, which seems to be a quite successful strategy to managing thread loads.

I mostly run P3D v4 and use an affinity mask to place the main thread on the fastest core (#3 in my instance), then use Process lasso to manage the cores being 2 to 8 leaving core 1 free for other processes, been running quite sucessfully this way for years.

I found the best option for perfomance is to cap the maximum frame rate via vsync, where I use a 30Hz vsync'd screen mode at 2560x1440 to cap at 30 fps.

The result is a very smooth running sim with enough underlaying power to ramp up the settings, certainly works for myself.

Check out this vid (being aware of course P3D v4.5 is not going to look like MSFS and being honest, if you're used to the looks of MSFS which I'll readily agree is on a completely different level, you'll probably not be satisfied anyway)

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

For me in P3Dv4, limit 40FPS by in-game setting (or by the complex add-on itself as how I find it out), will solve this problem.

Actually I never encountered it before using MJSQ400 which is the only add-on that can shoot up to 80+FPS

I run P3Dv4.5HF2 with UNLIMITED framerate, and I only have four CPU cores. Weather is switched off (as this was one of the compromises that I decided to make with respect to my mediocre system), but the performance is surprisingly good considering the detail levels that I am running at. This is with ORBx TrueEarth Great Britain and Netherlands installed, so there are plenty of scenery objects, autogen buildings and trees being displayed.

I do get slow loading textures at large airports like SimWings Heathrow and FlyTampa Amsterdam when I change the viewing direction from the VC, but even that has been reduced by increasing the MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE in the P3D.cfg file from 1000 to 5000.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

10 hours ago, Rogen said:

Really ?

I guess I must be in the 10% 🙂 in fact I run with around double the amount of Autogen that's available via the sliders.

In P3D v5 you can more finely control the main thread and their helper threads towards which cores you want to run them on, which seems to be a quite successful strategy to managing thread loads.

I mostly run P3D v4 and use an affinity mask to place the main thread on the fastest core (#3 in my instance), then use Process lasso to manage the cores being 2 to 8 leaving core 1 free for other processes, been running quite sucessfully this way for years.

I found the best option for perfomance is to cap the maximum frame rate via vsync, where I use a 30Hz vsync'd screen mode at 2560x1440 to cap at 30 fps.

The result is a very smooth running sim with enough underlaying power to ramp up the settings, certainly works for myself.

Check out this vid (being aware of course P3D v4.5 is not going to look like MSFS and being honest, if you're used to the looks of MSFS which I'll readily agree is on a completely different level, you'll probably not be satisfied anyway)

Cheers

Thnx for that.

So why are you still on P3D v4 ?

In my quest for a reason to move back to P3D with the better hardware I have, the choice between my old backup up image of v4 and "purchasing" v5 is quite a dilemna.

Maybe I should elaborate a little here.

I always run locked at 30 fps... using Rivatuner... the smoothest way by far on my system.

The disappearing autogen issue is at the end of a flight in a complex airliner when descending through cloud onto finals.

When I start the sim... all is good.

But after 1-2 hours at FL300 and descending through 5 layers of cloud at 4000ft per minute, once I level out to approach the airport, the scenery, including the autogen is simply gone.

I need to circle the airport 2 or 3 times to allow it to kick in.

Many many people have found the same issue.

It is also seen when flying a fast jet low to the ground at high Mach ... speeds.

Rob has done videos showing it.

Flying a Cessna at 120 knots around your local area is fine. The scenery sticks and never disappears. But that's not the issue for me.

My post was a simple question that seems to have become a general discussion.

With my new super fast hardware -- that didn't exist 4 years ago -- has this "known" issue gone away, or is the game engine just to word not allowed to care: i e. Being limited to 1 primary core it will always bottleneck scenery generation regardless of how fast it is ?

If it's always going to look like porridge, maybe it's best I stick to MSFS, warts and all.

Thnx.

Edited by Gabe777

20 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

I now despise MSFS. Beauty really is, only skin deep... and ever moving targets with constant 'buggy' updates / server issues, are a PiTA. Every update kills me, a little more, inside.)

Congratulations on having the bravery to admit MSFS’s beauty is only skin deep. The flaws are significant and unmovable. Fixed updates, no historical weather capability and updates breaking things to name but three.

17 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

If it's always going to look like porridge, maybe it's best I stick to MSFS, warts and all.

P3D v5.3HF2 was a significant improvement over v4 as Rogen states. Whilst I haven’t seen blurry autogen I do see some airport objects and Ai as black objects that only get filled during the approach. It doesn’t unduly bother me. FPS are higher and the sim is extremely stable.

You are aware I hope that v6 is incoming. Let’s see what improvements that makes. Having both sims is okay. MSFS for low-level sightseeing, P3D for high altitude flights.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Congratulations on having the bravery to admit MSFS’s beauty is only skin deep. The flaws are significant and unmovable. Fixed updates, no historical weather capability and updates breaking things to name but three.

P3D v5.3HF2 was a significant improvement over v4 as Rogen states. Whilst I haven’t seen blurry autogen I do see some airport objects and Ai as black objects that only get filled during the approach. It doesn’t unduly bother me. FPS are higher and the sim is extremely stable.

You are aware I hope that v6 is incoming. Let’s see what improvements that makes. Having both sims is okay. MSFS for low-level sightseeing, P3D for high altitude flights.

Hi Ray... my old Radar Contact mucker !

I miss decent ATC, Ai traffic that behaves, dynamic weather that isn't "Live" ... who wants to fly in the British winter ! And of course all my wonderful aeroplanes: Majestic Dash, A2A, PMDG etc.

And, yes I have no problem expressing my dismay with how every update (like Windows itself) causes havok in MSFS. Just go to their forums. Every update, every day something new... and not in a good way.

Despite the flaws in FS9/FSX and P3D at least you could lock it down, lock down Windows (by denying updates etc.) and know that it is frozen in time.

....If it runs today... it will run tomorrow.

Unlike, MSFS... which, as beautiful as it may be, is a Succubus ... a dangerous temptress that eventually turns into a frustrating game of whack-a-mole.

I'm done with it. I can't cope any more. My valium prescription has doubled in the last two years... much like my electricity bill...And,  it's no coincidence.

Regarding your response, I did not know about V6... interesting.

So you'd recommend upgrading to v5 over v4?

As Rogen says though, he's still on v4 !?!

Only problem is a complete reinstall...never pretty.

And will RC work with v5 ? That's ... ironically ... the thing I'm missing the most. It's a deal breaker for me.

Also quite a few apps like Active Sky and FSUIPC need re-buying etc. Could be an expensive mistake.

I'm wondering if cloud depiction and dynamic lighting will run better with a 3080Ti ? The latter used to be horrendous, halving framerates.

Cheers.

Edited by Gabe777