Sign in to follow this  
ConairMSFS

FBW-A320 - Too low terrain

Hi all.

After a long time flying only GA planes, today I decided to practice a flight in the FBW A320 from Frankfurt to Vilnius.

STAR was IRKAL2A, reached BILDI at 5000ft, direct to VOR VNO, meanwhile i cheched on ATIS frequency and navigraph the QNH and set it after transition altitude.

Once reached VNO, right turn to 194°, started descending to 2700ft, ready to turn right again and intercept ILS.

QNH was correct, everything programmed right (i suppose, probably i did something wrong of course), but then i hear "too low terrain, too low terrain", and I crash on the ground. Altimeter was indicating 2700ft, QNH was correct, but i dig a hole.

What did I do wrong? I used simbrief, then Navigraph charts, plus a printed checklist trying to do everything as realistic as possible.

Edited by ConairMSFS

7 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

did you have your flaps configured correctly?

I was configuring plane for approach, but before that, radio altimeter already called "minimum" and "too low terrain", even if altimeter showed up 2700ft, as approach chart instructions.

Edited by ConairMSFS

Which approach were you flying exactly? I'm guessing the ILS Y 01? How far outbound did you fly?

Anyway, the MSA is 2700 feet, so you shouldn't have hit anything unless you flew very far outbound. I'm guessing maybe you descended without realizing? (Maybe the autopilot wasn't doing what you expected it to?) 

2 hours ago, martinboehme said:

Which approach were you flying exactly? I'm guessing the ILS Y 01? How far outbound did you fly?

Anyway, the MSA is 2700 feet, so you shouldn't have hit anything unless you flew very far outbound. I'm guessing maybe you descended without realizing? (Maybe the autopilot wasn't doing what you expected it to?) 

Yes exactly. ILS Y 01. I was on VNO VOR at 5000ft. QNH setup correctly. Then while reaching 12.3 from VNO to start turning right and intercepting glideslope, minimums, too low terrain andi hit the gruound. But altimeter was telling me 2700ft.

Tried again, and just landed perfectly. Only difference has been that on APPR page, I've set up "BARO 843", while in previous flight, i've left "BARO" field empty, and filled  the value under it, "RAD 248".

Strange. BARO 843 is the correct setting as this is a CAT I approach, but this obviously doesn't have anything to do with the crash. Sounds like a strange one-time glitch... 

4 hours ago, martinboehme said:

Strange. BARO 843 is the correct setting as this is a CAT I approach, but this obviously doesn't have anything to do with the crash. Sounds like a strange one-time glitch... 

Found the mistake. When I crashed, I've had MCDU landing page setup using inHg, instead of hPa, cause I've used the value took from msfs atis freq. My stupid fault!