My first new build in many years.  I'm still rocking the 1060 in my current build.  Here's what I've got so far.  Everything but the GPU has been purchased with various black friday deals.  Will be running single screen 4k.  Maybe VR down the road.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC II 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard  
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case   
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  

The 4090 is impossible to find at the moment and while I wait it has me thinking if it's even worth it.  I'm not one to rebuild every 2 years so I expect this one to last me a while.  Would I be better off going for a cheaper 4080 or even 3090ti?  I don't mind waiting but I also don't want to shell out more than I have to for minimal gain.  Reading some other threads it appears the 4080 is overpriced for what you get which is why I'm debating going back to the 3090ti.

Edited by sfgiants13

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

As you state you will be running 4k, what refresh rate? Series 4 are fantastic for 4k and high refresh rates. A 4080 will work. if the price increase to a 4090 is managable then go for it.

Here is Australia the price of a 4080 is around $2.5k delivered add another $1k for a 4090. Stock of 4090 is low but the 4080 is available everywhere ( a silent protest at the price me thinks)

The monitor specs are the first things I consider when choosing a GPU. Its the one PC item I keep for a long time.

Cheers. 

howevr

I use a tv that can go as low as 25hz. I’ve always locked it at lower fps for smoothness in P3d but things look quite a bit different with msfs. Had good success at 30 in the past. I suppose I could keep it at 60 and that would be good for most situations except maybe the most demanding. Not sure how well this hardware will perform since I’ve been out of it for a bit. But doing some reading and video watching it looks quite capable with this cpu. 

Edited by sfgiants13

Why not a Radeon? I am in the market for a GPU as well and I have settled for a 6750XT over 3070.  And since you will have an AMD CPU, wouldn't it make sense to have a higher end Radeon to combo it together?  Like the 6800 or 6900 GPU? 

16 hours ago, avistudent said:

Why not a Radeon? I am in the market for a GPU as well and I have settled for a 6750XT over 3070.  And since you will have an AMD CPU, wouldn't it make sense to have a higher end Radeon to combo it together?  Like the 6800 or 6900 GPU? 

I'm not at all familiar with those GPUs.  How is the performance compared to the 4090?  I know they're coming out with a new one but I've heard it's going to compare to the 4080.

The target for AMD 79xx series is the 4080. It is also either $899 or $999, which is considerably cheaper than any 4090 (if you can find a 4090). No third party benchmarks for the new AMDs yet but it looks like for 'normal' rasterization (i.e. non-RT or DLSS), it is between a 4080 and 4090. 

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.