Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Link to my VR G2 thoughts

I sometimes forget about the avsim subforums - so I wanted to point people to a somewhat lengthy review of my experience with the G2 while using MSFS.  I am a new VR owner.  I had tried a little in the past though at friends' homes.

Give it a read if you're curious

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My experience was roughly the same.  It was a cool feeling but at this point really just something I would use for casual flying.  I also just didn’t really like having the headset on for long periods of time.  I actually haven’t used it in months.

Even with my 2080ti I couldn’t turn graphic settings up high enough so I was happy.  Particularly having to run the terrain graphic settings really low was a problem for me because a big part of MSFS is how beautiful the world is outside.

Having said that when my 4080 arrives I’m going to give it another shot but I still can’t see myself becoming a full time VR simmer.

Edited by regis9
  • Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Same here, until there is a headset with a wide FOV and it is like looking at a 4K monitor, I’m out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Same here, until there is a headset with a wide FOV and it is like looking at a 4K monitor, I’m out. 

That will be years but just to have a 1080P in each eye with high settings would be acceptable to me.  Your trading off resolution for the feeling of flight.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Technically the 4k HMDs already exist and Pimax have long had a wide FOV HMD so they're already out there, essentially though for those that demand the very best then they'll always be waiting. Getting a low res one back in 2016 was the best game changing moment of my life when it comes to simulations, as above the immersion far outweighs the loss in resolution and IMO with my Reverb G2 it's only slightly behind anyway so I don't see the difference.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

For me the low resolution Is headache inducing. Couple that with a sweaty mess after wearing the thing, I’ll stick to 4K monitor for now 🙂 

• Like 1

I had an Oculus Rift headset around the time the first ones got introduced. The immersion was fantastic, but it felt both sweaty and claustrophobic having the thing on my head for extended periods of time. Also I tended to get some motion sickness when fps was too low. So I ended up selling it back in 2018. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Opposite experience for me. I have a G2 and have never gone back to pancake (2D) flying since I've had it. VR combined with VATSIM is just peak immersion - IFR and VFR. The freedom of looking around and just seeing "depth" can't be beat. I think the key to enjoying VR is having a good resolution headset and running it at 100% resolution. Huge VR user here. Also, great for sim racing as well and DCS.

Edited by Booms
  • Like 1

I have been flying exclusively with HP G2 in VR since last year or so. I got my private pilot license two months ago and I can say that flying in VR is incredibly close the real flight. It also helped a lot for my training. 

I haven't began instrument training yet, but I do find having to fumble for knobs and buttons while flying VR is not very satisfying, and I can't see Foreflight on my iPad at all, let alone looking at the real charts or taking notes. For this I'm considering to do a hybrid VR/2D approach. MSFS switches between VR and 2D very fast and smoothly, not a problem at all. The major problem is that taking off/taking on the G2 is quite a chore. I'm replacing the G2 head trap (it's broken anyway) with the Halo strap and hopefully the process will be smoother. 

• Like 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

28 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

I have been flying exclusively with HP G2 in VR since last year or so. I got my private pilot license two months ago and I can say that flying in VR is incredibly close the real flight. It also helped a lot for my training. 

I haven't began instrument training yet, but I do find having to fumble for knobs and buttons while flying VR is not very satisfying, and I can't see Foreflight on my iPad at all, let alone looking at the real charts or taking notes. For this I'm considering to do a hybrid VR/2D approach. MSFS switches between VR and 2D very fast and smoothly, not a problem at all. The major problem is that taking off/taking on the G2 is quite a chore. I'm replacing the G2 head trap (it's broken anyway) with the Halo strap and hopefully the process will be smoother. 

I realize I'm kinda responding to dual threads here.  I use aircraft with TDS GTN Xi support - that way I have charts (USA flying) and metar weather when using live weather.  It's a little rough because I'm running 70% resolution in VR but it's acceptable to read the charts and metar string if I get close to the instruments (need to bind those VR zoom keys!)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

My initial experience was very similar. I enjoyed the effect but it I didn‘t enjoy flying airliners in VR  (which is what I’m most interested in) because I couldn‘t find the right performance/visual clarity balance. It took me 1-2 months or so until I finally embraced VR. I don‘t know why exactly, I think it was a mix of being bored with pancake mode and accepting a bit of stuttering and lower graphic settings, but somehow it clicked and I never got back to 2d. That was 1.5 years ago. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

On 11/27/2022 at 7:05 PM, ryanbatc said:

That will be years

it's actually here already and called Pimax Crystal: better than Varjo aero at a lower price:

https://vr-compare.com/compare?h1=INGl_L_43&h2=eI13V4rx1

https://pimax.com/de/crystal/

Sony Reveals 4K OLED Microdisplay VR Prototype

https://uploadvr.com/sony-4k-oled-microdisplay/

Display manufacturer Emagin broke records at Display Week. A detail of the first OLED microdisplay with 4K resolution could hint at Valve’s VR plans.

https://mixed-news.com/en/display-maker-reveals-4k-oled-microdisplay-for-valves-new-headset/

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

28 minutes ago, turbomax said:

it's actually here already and called Pimax Crystal: better than Varjo aero at a lower price:

https://vr-compare.com/compare?h1=INGl_L_43&h2=eI13V4rx1

https://pimax.com/de/crystal/

Sony Reveals 4K OLED Microdisplay VR Prototype

https://uploadvr.com/sony-4k-oled-microdisplay/

Display manufacturer Emagin broke records at Display Week. A detail of the first OLED microdisplay with 4K resolution could hint at Valve’s VR plans.

https://mixed-news.com/en/display-maker-reveals-4k-oled-microdisplay-for-valves-new-headset/

No one can run MSFS with it though.  Maybe 4090s in SLI?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

No one can run MSFS with it though

people are doing it already and are impressed: "Microsoft Flight Simulator and Project Cars ran absolutely smooth". check out the Pimax Crystal demo youtube above from MRTV. also check out "foveated rendering" through eye tracking which is very different from looking at a conventional full 2D-display giving you maximum resolution but only around a small spot your eye is currently looking at, as in Varjo aero, Sonys upcoming PSVR2 headset, Pimax Crystal, HP Reverb G2 Omnicept Edition, Quest Pro 2 etc:

"PSVR 2 Features Include Eye Tracking, Foveated Rendering And More

Beyond the PSVR 2 specs, the headset will have some big new features. The kit will be able to track the direction of your eyes, for example, to use a technique called foveated rendering. This is when an experience only fully renders the area of a screen you’re looking at; the rest isn’t fully rendered but this should "NOT" be noticeable in your peripheral vision. This should help dramatically improve performance on PS5."

HumanFovealAcuity-768x580.png.webp

ffr-intro.png

https://vr-expert.com/what-is-foveated-rendering-and-what-does-it-mean-for-vr/

https://uploadvr.com/quest-pro-foveated-rendering-performance/

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/fr.html

https://www.gamesradar.com/what-is-foveated-rendering/

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

For those with more experience with VR hardware than me, should I reserve a Pimax Crystal as my first step into VR (assume I have the latest and greatest PC to drive it) or should I be looking at something else?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)