Sign in to follow this  
Republic3D

RTX 4080 - Frame Generation with G-Sync - some advice

So I bought an Nvidia RTX 4080. 
Because of the Frame Generation technology. 

And like you do when you buy a new GPU, you sit around and tinker with settings until the early morning. 

Here's my experience:

I downloaded the latest drivers with a clean install.
I loaded up the Twin Otter at Tulsa by the aircraft graveyard.
I had only the Dev Mode FPS counter on the right corner to go by.
Performance was pretty good with my usual settings.
Everything Ultra, TAA, V-Sync (And G-Sync) on, Screen scaling at 125%. Butter smooth. 55 FPS. My new GPU is barely breaking a sweat. It's just sitting there with it's shades on, looking cool. 

Then I turn on Frame Generation. This is the moment I was waiting for. This was the reason I paid so much  money for the 4080.

Terrible stutter. Screen tearing.

What went wrong? Why isn't this working? I was as confused as a fart in a wicker chair.

I jump to the forums. I double check HAGS, I check the DSSG 1 line in the UserCfg file. It's all on. 
I restart my computer. Still the same problem. 
Then I realized I needed to figure out if FG was pumping out those glorious frames as promised or not. I enabled the Performance Overlay in Nvidia Experience.
And sure as heck, yes I'm getting roughly TWICE the FPS as before with FG on. I was getting 110 frames instead of 55.
Okay, so Frame Generation is on but my image is just stuttery and tearing all over. 
Then I realized.. maybe it's because of my old G-Sync monitor which I have set the refresh rate to 90 Hz, because it starts slightly flickering at 100 Hz. Maybe it can't handle frames over 90 Hz?
I jump into the Nvidia settings and set max FPS rate manually to 80 FPS. 

I start the sim again. 
And what do you know. The stuttering and screen tearing is gone. The performance is back. So smooth.
I'm seeing 40 FPS on my Dev Mode FPS counter. But I'm showing 80 FPS in the Nvidia Experience Overlay.

So now my new card is chilling even harder. He's barely doing any work at all. Just sitting there at 50C degrees. 
While delivering 80 frames to my monitor. Which it can handle beautifully. 

The whole reason for the issue was that my monitor couldn't handle the awesomeness the Frame Generation delivered. 
As soon as I capped it at 80, that's where it stuck. 

So the advice for the TLDR people:

If you get a 4000 series card with FG on, make sure your G-Sync monitor can handle that amount of frames. If it pumps out more frames than your monitor can deal with, you get screen tearing and stutters.
Cap your frames at slightly below the max HZ of your G-Sync monitor. 

Now it's working fantastic. So smooth. So stable. Highly recommend upgrading to 4000 series. 

Edited by Republic3D
  • Like 11

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Thanks for the info.  What's your CPU again?

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just now, ryanbatc said:

Thanks for the info.  What's your CPU again?

I have the R9 5900X 🙂 The sim is now fully mainthread limited regardless of what I'm doing. But FG really does magic, it doubles my frames. And that's on an RTX 4080, not a 4090. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S

25 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

I have the R9 5900X 🙂 The sim is now fully mainthread limited regardless of what I'm doing. But FG really does magic, it doubles my frames. And that's on an RTX 4080, not a 4090. 

it seems you forgot to post one of the most important things that many people usually forget to post, what resolution are running? 1080p, 2k, 4k?

• Like 4

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Thanks for the info and good to hear from someone who took the 4080 plunge.  Best Buy finally shipped mine today a week after I ordered it so I should have it Wednesday.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

it seems you forgot to post one of the most important things that many people usually forget to post, what resolution are running? 1080p, 2k, 4k?

I have all that in the signature, so thought people would find out. But you're right I should have posted it.

I have an old 3440x1440 G-Sync monitor, so it's not quite 4K. I have it set at 90 Hz to reduce some light flickering in the corner on 100 Hz. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Thanks for the info and good to hear from someone who took the 4080 plunge.  Best Buy finally shipped mine today a week after I ordered it so I should have it Wednesday.

It's really awesome, you'll probably be happy with it. 🙂

• Like 1

I think you are correct about the monitor.  I got the RTX 4090 a couple of days after it was released, along with a new computer.  I used a 4k LED tv I had bought a few years ago as a second TV, and I noticed some tearing issues.  I talked to the guy who built my computer for me, and he noted that an LED tv could result in some tearing, and the best option is to get an OLED tv.  I got a LG 55" B2 OLED tv and it works great.  Mike Gutierrez, North Hollywood, California

• Like 2

Michael Gutierrez. North Hollywood, California

2 minutes ago, mongo44 said:

I think you are correct about the monitor.  I got the RTX 4090 a couple of days after it was released, along with a new computer.  I used a 4k LED tv I had bought a few years ago as a second TV, and I noticed some tearing issues.  I talked to the guy who built my computer for me, and he noted that an LED tv could result in some tearing, and the best option is to get an OLED tv.  I got a LG 55" B2 OLED tv and it works great.  Mike Gutierrez, North Hollywood, California

I've heard good things about those LG OLED TVs. Sounds excellent for simulator use. 

And just to be clear, I'm using Frame Generation with TAA. I'm not using DLSS at all. I prefer TAA because of the sharper textures, and with Frame Gen on it's pumping out lots of frames. About 2x increase.

• Like 2

Why You dont try DLSS DLAA?you have enough graphic power, its better then TAA, I use it, but I am limited in my settings because of the 10 GB VRAM of my 3080 Card.

Best wishes 

Leo

4 hours ago, Republic3D said:

And just to be clear, I'm using Frame Generation with TAA. I'm not using DLSS at all. I prefer TAA because of the sharper textures, and with Frame Gen on it's pumping out lots of frames. About 2x increase.

Thanks, and you have answered a question I asked in another thread some time ago, which was...

As all 4000 series cards have frame generation, do I really need to buy a 4090 (at 4090 prices), or will a 4080 be sufficient (at around 60-70% of the price of a 4090).  Seems like it is, easily.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

4 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

As all 4000 series cards have frame generation, do I really need to buy a 4090 (at 4090 prices), or will a 4080 be sufficient (at around 60-70% of the price of a 4090).  Seems like it is, easily.

I researched this obsessively before making a decision to buy a 4080.  The consensus from the many reviews I’ve read of the 4080 seems to be that the only real issue is it’s price - too expensive compared to expected price/performance of soon to be released AMD cards and too close to the 4090 (MSRP anyway).  Otherwise it’s a great card for 4K gaming,  The idea is that if you’re going to pay a ton of money for a 4080 you may as well pay a relatively small amount more and get the 4090.  

That’s great in theory, in a world where you’re comparing MSRP, but the reality is that the 4090 is virtually impossible to get at MSRP in most parts of the world (certainly in Canada) so the cost premium to buy from a scalper is much higher.  I bought an overclocked ASUS 4080 card for CDN$1899 before tax and to get a similar 4090 card would have been CDN$3000+ from a reseller somewhere.  The value conversation changes drastically when looking at real prices vs MSRP dream prices.

I would have bought a 4090 if I could find one at MSRP but I’m not interested in waiting some indeterminant timeframe to get one.  I’m using an in stock tracker for 4090s and I typically see an in stock alert for a single card type at a single store every two to three days.  They’re always gone by the time I get to the store, even if impact on the alert the second I get it.  

If by some chance I luck out and can buy one before my card arrives I’ll return the 4080.  Otherwise, I’m installing it as soon as it arrives and based on the reviews/benchmarks I’ve seen I’m sure I’ll love it.  I’ll be quite CPU limited in MSFS I expect in any case until I do a CPU upgrade next year.  I’m looking to see what the new AMD CPUs have to offer before taking the plunge on an i9 13900k.

• Like 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The latest nvidia drivers for the 4 series now support vsync with Frame generation. it`s easier just to enable this now rather than rate limit.

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

I’ve been very impressed with frame rate generation as well.  I’m running at 4K on a 48” OLED TV, with TAA on.  I too would have originally preferred a 4090, but right now those are unicorns at unicorn prices.  PC specs in sig.

• Like 1

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR