Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

What refresh rate to use 60 or 120?

I have a Samsung 42" UHD TV for MSFS and P3D.  Does it make a difference if I set the TV to 60 HZ or 120 hz. I heard if I set it to 60HZ, i'll only get 60 fps max -regardless of what the P3D/MSFS counter says.   I am using the new n-vidia 4090card and a 13900K CPU.

Paul Gugliotta

That's correct. The maximum FPS you can see is never higher than the monitor refresh rate regardless of the FPS generated by the sim.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

BUT you'll seldom get those high FPS in any of these sims...

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

With a top end computer, I expect > 60 fps.  The problem is that it seems all 50" UHD TV's are listed at 60 Hertz.  Only when I get to 55 inch the very same models jump to 120 Hertz.  Why is 50" limited to 60 Hertz on the Samsungs?  Samsung also has the "turbo" boost to 120HZ on their 60 Hertz models. Is that a scam that really wont help me?  Also do I need to consider the fill rate of the TV as well in microseconds?

If anyone can recommend a 120 Hertz 4K TV, let me know.  I searched long and come up empty.

Paul Gugliotta

Have you thought about a large gaming monitor, or are you set on a TV?

I don't have anything against TVs, but the excellent computer system you know have (mine is similiar) is built to take advantage of high refresh rates/low response times/latest DV/HDMI standards etc.

I just installed a 34" Dell UHD curved monitor which is working out really well. It's 60hz refresh rate is perfect for me as I use NVCP half refresh vsyc resulting in a very smooth ride all the time.

Mark

https://www.pcgamer.com/alienware-34-qd-oled-aw3423dw-gaming-monitor-review/

Edited by newtie
add

Many flight simmers are happy with a 30Hz monitor (or TV). With VSync enabled it results in a very smooth experience. Yes, you could get 60fps once airborne but on approach to a busy airport it’s never going to happen and the stutters will ruin the experience.

The other benefit of limiting a powerful CPU / GPU to 30fps is you’re not hammering them to run flat out.

I remain very happy with my 32” 16:9 BenQ PD3200U monitor.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

With the new 4XXX series cards and Frame Generation technology, I am achieving 120fps during most phases of my flights on MSFS. The days of ridiculously low framerates on sims seem to be coming to an end at last!

To the OP: as your setup is similar to mine, I would recommend that you keep 120Hz and activate TAA, Frame Generation and G-sync for your MSFS flights. Can't comment on P3D, but when I use DCS/XP12 I tend to turn G-sync off to avoid flickering.

10 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

If anyone can recommend a 120 Hertz 4K TV, let me know.  I searched long and come up empty.

You can't go wrong with LG OLED C series. I have a 48" CX since a while and it is just great for simming.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Many flight simmers are happy with a 30Hz monitor (or TV). With VSync enabled it results in a very smooth experience. Yes, you could get 60fps once airborne but on approach to a busy airport it’s never going to happen and the stutters will ruin the experience.

The other benefit of limiting a powerful CPU / GPU to 30fps is you’re not hammering them to run flat out.

I remain very happy with my 32” 16:9 BenQ PD3200U monitor.

Fully agree Ray. I have my gaming laptop with a 144 Hz default refresh rate, set to a refresh rate of 60 Hz to make possible to limit the in-sim FPS to 30 using VSync. Very smooth experience.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

21 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

With the new 4XXX series cards and Frame Generation technology, I am achieving 120fps during most phases of my flights on MSFS.

If you have the time and inclination try a flight from London City (EGLC) to Heathrow (EGLL) in whatever aircraft you prefer but ideally a Boeing or Airbus.

If you have AIG Ai aircraft installed at Ai=100% it would be interesting to know what fps you achieve on approach to 27L/R. That is one of the most demanding flights in P3D and MSFS too.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you have the time and inclination try a flight from London City (EGLC) to Heathrow (EGLL) in whatever aircraft you prefer but ideally a Boeing or Airbus.

If you have AIG Ai aircraft installed at Ai=100% it would be interesting to know what fps you achieve on approach to 27L/R. That is one of the most demanding flights in P3D and MSFS too.

I'll try that flight today as well today, Ray.  I know you're a big proponent of the 30Hz setting, but I've only been able to have 60Hz on my LG.  However, I am extremely pleased with my FPS throughout P3d. I'm stutter free and freeze free, with practically all my settings in graphics far right in the sim.  However, I would like to try that relatively short flight.  Both Heathrow and London City are enhanced airports (payware) on my system, and not default. 

Stan 

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

My absolute horror scenario should not be much different to yours. KJFK at 31L (looking to the city), inside the Fenix A320, with RealTraffic on (insane quantity of live aircraft) and cloudy weather @ 4K/TAA/Ultra:

cVA0sVe.png

So, at the worst possible case, I am getting 55 fps. 60 or even 80 are doable with some effortless optimization.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

6 hours ago, GCBraun said:

With the new 4XXX series cards and Frame Generation technology, I am achieving 120fps during most phases of my flights on MSFS. The days of ridiculously low framerates on sims seem to be coming to an end at last!

To the OP: as your setup is similar to mine, I would recommend that you keep 120Hz and activate TAA, Frame Generation and G-sync for your MSFS flights. Can't comment on P3D, but when I use DCS/XP12 I tend to turn G-sync off to avoid flickering.

You can't go wrong with LG OLED C series. I have a 48" CX since a while and it is just great for simming.

I have a LG Nanocell 50. It has Freeesync capability but  it flickers constantly when I turn it on with my RTX3090 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

1 hour ago, spearmint_flyer said:

I have a LG Nanocell 50. It has Freeesync capability but  it flickers constantly when I turn it on with my RTX3090 

Flickering with Gsync is an issue when the frame rate is relatively low when compared to the refresh rate of the screen.

With Frame Generation tech on MSFS, I am rarely below 80fps, hence the problem is not noticeable.

Just like you, that was indeed not the case with my old 3090.  

Edited by GCBraun

8 hours ago, GCBraun said:

My current monitor is a 60 Hertz 40"UHDTV.  My question is, will upgrading to a 120 Hertz 40" TV really make a difference??  Will I really notice the difference between 60 Hertz and 120 Hertz?  They go for $1,000. 

Paul Gugliotta

8 minutes ago, paulyg123 said:

My current monitor is a 60 Hertz 40"UHDTV.  My question is, will upgrading to a 120 Hertz 40" TV really make a difference??  Will I really notice the difference between 60 Hertz and 120 Hertz?  They go for $1,000. 

Well, I notice the difference and my rig is not only used for sims. If you already have a 4090, I don’t see much of a point limiting it to 60hz, but that’s just me.

The biggest improvement perhaps would be on image quality if you opt for an OLED panel (I’d recommend a 48”). 

Edited by GCBraun