Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

How I use the sim

Re: the expansion pack thread below it is interesting how we all have different conceptions in how we use fsx and what brings reality. What is reality or a good feature to one can be completely different for another. Imho this has always been the beauty of fsx-it can be made into whatever what wants/needs with a little customization and 3rd party add ins.In my case, I generally never fly helos, military birds, or even commercial heavy iron (though I did recently purchase the level d 767 since it runs so well on my 4 year old machine). I fly mostly in the US where I am familiar, and use mostly the Baron, Real Air Marchetti (nothing is closer to reality than this imho), the Eaglesoft Cirrus, and Fsd Seneca.I am taking my 5th Rw flight across the Us in my Baron departing early August. I am particularly excited about this trip as not only will I be visiting some interesting places I have not been before, I will also get closer to logging a landing in every state of the US-a personal goal of mine.I am also excited as I will reach the over 250 multi mark where insurance companies lower the premium!Here is my route:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175611.jpgTotal Distance:5730 NMTotal Time: 27:20Total Fuel: 724.1Edit-my itinery:1st day-a quick fuel stop in kgpi-over to khut for a visit to the Cosmosphere and Space center, and on to Santa Fe for the night. 2nd day Santa Fe. 3rd day-over to Flagstaff- then two days exploring the Grand Canyon. Then over to Catalina Island for two days-maybe a landing at Sedona on the way-why not? Then up to Hillsboro, Or. for a one night stay with relatives. Then a short flight to Port Angeles, Wa. and a day seeing the Olympic National forest. A ferry ride to Victoria, Bc. and two days exploring that. Next day leave Port Angeles (maybe a stop in Friday Harbor) and down to beautiful Lake Almanor, Ca.-my flying partner drops me and my wife off and heads to Stockton, Ca. for a family visit. After 3 days we meet up again-then fly to Chelen, Wa. with a boat trip to Stehiken (3 days). Then on to Jackson Hole for a fuel stop, a flyover of Mt. Rushmore and on home. How do I use fsx?1) I familiarize myself with unfamiliar airports and taxiways, terrain2) I fly unfamiliar approaches both with real weather (and active sky x of course), and with preset minimums3) I get regular real weather downloads at the airports I am concerned about (like Port Angeles, Wa) and get an idea of the daily weather patterns4) I try out my proposed routes and see if they really workI thank Aces for making a product like this that is useful to my real world flying and adds greatly to the safety of my flights!By the way-if you are interested-I have a link on my blog site to flightaware so you can follow the progress (or lack of-lol). I also have videos from my past flights -I plan to have a lot more up after this flight!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I see you're going to Clay County Regional (KGPH) here in KC. :-) Done many touch and goes there.It's right hand (not left) traffic there, odly enough, don't forget.;-) If you're coming up from the south though, you could probably get away with a modified 45 degree straight in...they probably won't care. It's usually a monitored unicom as well.Let me know when you get here, I'll drive out and meet ya.:-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Congratulations on the Big 250, Geof. Slowly but surely, racking up the time.The more important event might be your first OH - now, that's got to hurt! Good thing you share.Best regards.Luis

I fly mostly big iron. From anywhere to anywhere. Real weather (Active Sky) and time (FS Realtime). One flight at a time with alot of saves and fly later's though due to my 4 year old who usually seems to want to bother me just as I'm on final. Every once in awhile I take the mooney bravo or cessna 172 for a local sightseeing spin after landing. The real long haul flights I can set on autopilot and go to sleep and finish it in the morning- Each aircraft is parked somewhere and I keep track of everything with Excell. Prolly have about 100 different saved flights set up. All my first flights in a new bird I take off from X68 KSC in Titusville Florida. Nice long runway :-pDaveo ESSB

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Good topic. I mostly fly the RealAir SF260 and Spitfire, as well as the Shockwave P-51 and Plane Design Spitfire. I fly like a bird, not according to any rules. I have no interest in long and boring trips, auto pilot, or pretending to fly passengers from point A to B, and you will rarely find me higher than a couple thousand feet. This is how i fly:http://sio.midco.net/111lll/belowtrees.jpghttp://sio.midco.net/111lll/belowtrees3.jpg

Guest tmilton

>I have no interest in long and boring trips, auto pilot, or>pretending to fly passengers from point A to B, and you will>rarely find me higher than a couple thousand feet. >>This is how i fly:>>http: //sio.midco.net/111lll/belowtrees.jpg>>http: //sio.midco.net/111lll/belowtrees3.jpgLOL, ditto. :-)

>I have no interest in long and boring trips, auto pilot, or>pretending to fly passengers from point A to B, and you will>rarely find me higher than a couple thousand feet. I started doin the long and boring flights due to my son keepin me busy most of the time. Ive only been flying those the past year or so.the other 23 years I spent in props under 10,000 feet.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Geofa,What an extreme pleasure to read your comments....all the time. How YOU use the SIM is beyond my wildest expectations. I love reading your comments. I can only hope that someday I have a "fraction" of your knowledge and can apply some of these great lessons to real life.Live long and Prosper, Geofa! Stan

Sounds like an amazing trip....will have to track your progress. I'm aiming/hoping to go for a PPL before I'm 40 (38 now) but family obligations (step-daughter in college not to mention 4 other teens and two toddlers to feed), my needs usually come last.Anyway, my usage of FS has varied over the years going from Airliners and Virtual Airlines to bush flying in Alaska. I really enjoy the pre-flight and planning and the startup procedures using the 737 PIC and plotting my course using the CDU.Then there are other days where I just want to hop in and fly so I just jump in the Marchetti and buzz some trees, fly in the Grand Canyon, or hop in the Saratoga and take off from 40N and fly over my town and enjoy the view.The other day I even sparked up the Red Bull mission and had a blast flying through gates trying to at least finish the bloody course, until my 11 month old uplugged the USB cable to the CH yoke and I landed violently on my roof. Didn't go well with the FS crash detection. All I know is despite all the discussion and arguments over detail and performance etc... I really enjoy FS. It's been a love hate relationship over the years but each iteration gets closer and closer to being the ultimate flight simulator and until I finally commit myself to doing it for real I know I'll have the next best thing waiting for me in the dining room.Ian.

Once and a while, I've used these sims for something a bit different.Since I've been interested a long, long time in flight into terrain accidents, and new technology to help prevent them;I'll use the sim & additional mesh scenery to go to the exact GPS coordinates, as listed in the NTSB reports. With synthetic mesh scenery, we see rising terrain, that the pilot apparently did not.Someday, these computerized mesh scenery databases that we use today for desktop simulation, when combined with GPS for exact coordinates, will be more commonplace as a background on a PFD/MFD. This will be a great additional aid in IMC conditions. These systems are being used on a limited bases now.L.Adamson

Right now I have a dh89 Dragon Rapide on my FS computer crossing central India at 8,300 feet. I'm about two hours - 200 nm - out of Allahabad (VIAL).I'm flying to Melbourne Australia in an aircraft with a 100-120 kt ground speed and a 600 nm range.No GPS, no VOR receivers, only NDB's and looking out the window. I can use FS2004 on another computer as a map, but noting to indicate where my aircraft is located. I already got lost once on this trip which started near London at Mildenhall.I'm one of about 15 pilots recreating the 1934 London to Melbourne race - and yes the first aircraft to make Melbourne was the dh88 Comet Grosvenor House, with a DC-3 the second. My dh89 ZK-ACO took two weeks to make the trip in the real race.As one of the folks on Sim-Outhouse said - 73 years and nothing changes.I really like flying on-line with other pilots - but my schedule limits that.A few years ago I found the MSFS Around-the-World Race - where three teams compete each February to fly around the world in real time, with real world weather and high realism settings.A truely amazing experience.Otherwise, I'm an AI fan - I really love figuring out how to get FS to perform at it's best using the many unexplored capabilities of the program.I don't spend much time at my local airport / area - or in flying the same routes frequently. The world is a great place and I've only seen about 20% of it in real life - so FS lets me explore one aspect of the world - frequently sending me to the net in search of additional research and data.As someone with deficient color vision and other medical issues - I'll never have a real pilot license - so FS lets me dream.

I picked kgph for cheap fuel and a 3 hour leg. Thanks for the heads up on the traffic pattern. Unfortunately, we are just fueling and leaving-I'd love to meet up but we are on a tight schedule the 1st day-after kgph-we head to khut (Hutchison, ks) for a tour of the Cosmosphere and Space center-and then need to make Santa Fe for the first night.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/