Sign in to follow this  
Sparrow980

I'm a new member

Hi everyone, I am an avid gamer, as well as plane enthusiast. I'd like to get more into plane spotting at my local airports. If anyone know where or who to speak to regarding plane spotting, please let me know. Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know everyone and participate.

Welcome to the AVSIM forums.  😀

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Welcome to the party. You can start planespotting at your local airport. Stay outside the fence and spot as much as you wish.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Welcome to Avsim. 🙂

In relation to some plane spotting, if there is an airport local to you, see if it has a website with information that could be useful to you for that kind of stuff. Most airports are aware that doing anything to make them more popular with locals is a good thing and so they do tend to try to welcome plane enthusiasts, often providing specific viewing areas, dedicated mobile phone apps and the like. If however, there is nothing like that close to you or available, you could get hold of an air band radio so you can monitor flight traffic (be aware that in some countries it is not legal to listen to aircraft communications, and if that is the case for you, it's worth knowing that many air traffic control systems do stream their comms online for this reason so enthusiasts can still monitor this traffic). I would also recommend getting hold of the mobile phone app FlightRadar24, there is a free version of this, or you can pay a small subscription to get some enhanced features. This app will let you track aircraft via their transponders so you can see pictures of them, see their flight track on a map in realtime with altitude and speed data plus the route they are flying, ETA etc.

Lots of us who work in aviation actually do use FlightRadar24, as it is quite handy for many jobs, notably for me as a ramp TL at EGCC for knowing when stuff is likely to arrive. There are more 'official' systems we have a at work such as the Chroma and SITA systems, but that app is still handy to have on your phone when out on the ramp.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Welcome to Avsim!

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Welcome to tha' jungle! 🤪

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5