Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Mooney crashes into power lines, two stranded 100 ft up!

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

They ended up getting them out. They were sure lucky to have no injuries. Flying into power lines could end badly in a lot of ways: electrocution, fire, decapitation, or any combination of these. Not only that, but had they survived the initial impact, if the plane came loose and fell the 100’ from where they were, that surely could have killed them as well. 

• Like 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Glad they are okay , but they will be “charged” quite a bit for repairs . 😉

Trying to "Duck Under"(scud run)on the GPS-A? 1.23 miles from the touchdown markers....

Edited by BIGSKY

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

An update as of 1840 UTC:
The pilot and passenger were successfully rescued around midnight (0500 UTC) and taken to local trauma centers with serious injuries related to hypothermia, orthopedics and trauma issues. As of 1800 UTC, the two survivors’ conditions have improved and one has been released from hospital officials reported.
The plane has been removed and lowered from the tower and is now on the ground awaiting NTSB inspection before removal.

Edited by ClaudeF
correct utc time
  • Like 1

Regards,

Claude Franklin

On 11/28/2022 at 10:04 AM, BIGSKY said:

Trying to "Duck Under"(scud run)on the GPS-A? 1.23 miles from the touchdown markers....

Looked on the playback on FR24, looks like they were doing  RNAV (GPS)  RWY 14. Weather at the time was: 

VRB04KT 1 1/4SM BR OVC002 11/11 A2945

LPV minima were 789 (269) 1 sm.

In theory they might just have got in with a bit of luck - but maybe pushed the luck a bit too far?

FR24 track:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n201rf#2e5aae71

Not sure if it will work without a subscription?

Eugene

I know a few people that had that bad habit, One was a Twin Otter Captain R.I.P.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

The pilot actually called 911 from the plane after the crash and TV news has been playing portions of his conversations.
He said he was on final to KGAI, had descended to minimum altitude for approach. and since he'd crashed into the tower, was probably lower than he should be. He was also alerted to his low altitude by Potomac Terminal Radar Approach Control.

Regards,

Claude Franklin

The pilot appears to be somewhat "not quite there" with regards to his lousy navigation.  Also, did he forget to reset his altimeter?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

6 hours ago, n4gix said:

The pilot appears to be somewhat "not quite there" with regards to his lousy navigation.  Also, did he forget to reset his altimeter?

Yeah, really, it was almost like watching a new student flying from watching that video. Shame we could only hear ATC and not the response from the pilot. 

I must say, that was one of the most relaxed and forgiving sounding controllers I’ve ever heard. Some ATC would not have been as patient with his continuous turns off course.

• Upvote 1