Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Honeycomb vs Turtle Beach Velocity One yoke? Also pedals?

Curious if anyone has any first hand use experiences with these two yokes.. im coming from a ch eclipse yoke and pedals myself.. there is the rare chance i may want to use the same setup in the living room on xbox, but very very rare, 99.9% use case pc if ever xbox (4090 + aero goggles).

Im leaning towards getting the honeycomb yoke and the velocity one rudder pedals ($300).

The other choices on pedals were the MFG set for around $310, or more expensive by 2x the cost options out there, but my budget is around $300.

Aside from being plastic, i think the turtle beach pedals look good and are adjustable.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Thanks in advance

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

This Black Friday deal sale won't last long. Maybe hours, maybe days. It's a better yoke than the honeycomb. TM TCA for $285. If you wait you will probably lose out most likely.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Flight-Yoke-Boeing-Windows-x/dp/B09D17TTWF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=36SUG0810HML8

Go youtube, in their search put TCA Honeycomb to see people compare the two.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

6 hours ago, theskyisthelimit said:

The other choices on pedals were the MFG set for around $310, or more expensive by 2x the cost options out there, but my budget is around $300.

Then hold off upgrading pedals until you can afford the MFG CW3's.  I have logged over 9,500 hours of sim flying over the years and have used countless variations of flight controls. I currently use Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, and Crosswind V3 pedals with a couple of CW options.  Totally dialed in to my MSFS GA rooted flying. 

If you are exclusively flying commercial jets look elsewhere for guidance.  If you are flying GA then consider these recommendations.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

20 minutes ago, Fielder said:

This Black Friday deal sale won't last long. Maybe hours, maybe days. It's a better yoke than the honeycomb. TM TCA for $285. If you wait you will probably lose out most likely.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Flight-Yoke-Boeing-Windows-x/dp/B09D17TTWF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=36SUG0810HML8

Go youtube, in their search put TCA Honeycomb to see people compare the two.

Hmm interesting, is that also good for general aviation being a Boeing label? 

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

10 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Then hold off upgrading pedals until you can afford the MFG CW3's.  I have logged over 9,500 hours of sim flying over the years and have used countless variations of flight controls. I currently use Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, and Crosswind V3 pedals with a couple of CW options.  Totally dialed in to my MSFS GA rooted flying. 

If you are exclusively flying commercial jets look elsewhere for guidance.  If you are flying GA then consider these recommendations.

What gives the MFG cw3s the edge though just the metal abd better construction, would I really feel a difference with GA MFG VS say turtle Beach? 

3 hours ago, theskyisthelimit said:

The TCA as good as any yoke is for general aviation. I suppose flying helicopters is not a passion with you. But if they were than in my opinion your pedals should work with a vertical motion like the TM pendular. So does the VKB (which is much cheaper and all metal too), but the VKB has no toe breaks and therefore not popular. 

I fly with VKB pedals, and TM Warthog HOTAS stick and throttle myself. Because with a HOTAS your hands  are on the both controllers all the time and the many hats on both do not require moving hands to use them. You just flick your fingers while keeping hands on throttle and stick. For me nothing is more intuitive or easy as a proper HOTAS. 

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I have the Honeycomb Alpha, it's fine on the roll, but I really don't like the pitch axis way too stiff for me, also like the bravo, it's quite bulky.

8 hours ago, fppilot said:

+1 for MFG Crosswind V3 pedals, they are fantastic, I use mine with combat style footrests.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

8 hours ago, theskyisthelimit said:

It might not be what they were developed for, but they still feel great with any aircraft that I used them with by now.

Nvidia 4090 | AMD 5950X | 128GB DDR4 3200 | LG C1 48"
TCA Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo | TPR Rudders | Stream Deck XL | Tobii 5

Although the Honeycomb yoke has received heaps of praise since it came out, I will be the contrarian and say that I did not like it at all (their Throttle Quad is great). First off,  it is way too stiff on the pitch axis as mentioned in a post above.  On top of that, I did not like the mounting and the clamps were too small for my 2" thick desk. Their XL clamps that they sell separately were too big so someone messed up on the engineering as the smallest size on the XL clamps were bigger than the largest size on the default. If you have a 2-2.5" desk you cannot use clamps.  The sticky pad mount is worthless for a yoke, especially if you need to remove your yoke often..  Oh, and all of my buttons on the yoke handles (trim, etc) stopped working because of a design flaw.  I was just outside the warranty period...of course.  Anyway, I am not familiar with the TB Velocity but I would also look at the TCA Boeing yoke (I bought that as a replacement for the HC).  It is perfect for airliners/biz jets and it is also great for GA. I have owned 4 yokes over the years and it is the best by far....

Edited by Flic1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

8 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

First off,  is way too stiff on the pitch axis

From what I've heard, the new version of the Alpha (XPC) should be much improved in this regard ...

Nvidia 4090 | AMD 5950X | 128GB DDR4 3200 | LG C1 48"
TCA Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo | TPR Rudders | Stream Deck XL | Tobii 5

2 hours ago, teletom said:

From what I've heard, the new version of the Alpha (XPC) should be much improved in this regard ...

I think i ordered the purely pc version, so it probably doesnt have that change.  you are saying the xbox + pc one?  I was going to test it either way, but will probably opt for the thrustmaster

My concern on the TM Boeing is that it will hang down too much.. i dont have many options on my desk.  I added this tray awhile ago and it was one of only 2 that actually fit well.  It appears the TM will droop down maybe too low, to a point i'd have to take it off when not in use.  As of now i never do that.  If there is a way to find another tray that comes in slightly lower i guess it would work.

Im also concerned it has less buttons on it than the CH Eclipse, which are handy in VR?

i have a piece of wood to thicken the mount area on my desk, not sure if its quite 2" though

im trying to insert an inline image here but it wont let me (my existing setup), old desk but it works great:

https://ibb.co/YXSSXyL

It doesnt sound like anyone has any experience with the thrustmaster pedals directly though, so i still have those coming for a test, but my finger is on the button to order the MFGs.. is this the proper link for that:

https://mfg-sim.com/en/rudders/57-mfg-crosswind-v3-graphite.html  The full kit for roughly $312 plus shipping.

Edited by theskyisthelimit

12 minutes ago, theskyisthelimit said:

im trying to insert an inline image here but it wont let me (my existing setup), old desk but it works great:

With that tray underneath I would guess the Boeing yoke would present an issue.  The ends of my knobs are 4.5 inches below the bottom of desk which is about the same amount the front part of the yoke is as well.  Depending on your chair height, the bottom front part of the Boeing yoke is in what I would call a "dangerous area" for a certain male body part....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11