Sign in to follow this  
109Sqn

MSFS Low Power Mode - who uses it?

For me, it makes a massive difference. For anyone unaware, it's one of the "Experimental" settings in your options. It changes the background of the sim's menus (i.e. pre-flight) from the animated hangar image to a plain image. In my case, I find my GPU fan speed drops from around 3200rpm (98%) to about 800rpm (25%) - the same as before starting sim - which is like comparing your companion softly blowing in your ear to a hurricane!😄 Apart from being quieter (and using less power), it can only do good for the lifespan of GPU fans. Who needs to be running the animated background anyway when it almost completely hidden by the menus?

Now if only Asobo could drop my fan speeds that low during flights...!😁*

(*Yes, I could manually lower them, or lower the graphics load on the GPU, but I tend to filter out the noise after a while anyway).

• Like 6

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Good hint and thx for posting. I am surely going to try that too !

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Good hint and thx for posting. I am surely going to try that too !

You're welcome. I think it's an under-promoted feature, maybe because it's less exciting that free aircraft or airports.

Be sure to share your findings.🙂

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I used it some months ago but it was bugged. They later fixed it with one of the updates but I never used it again. 

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I've had it on for ages now. I hated how resource heavy the damned menu was. Some of us care about energy efficiency. I wish there was an even lower power mode for when downloading in content manager though.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Alvega said:

I used it some months ago but it was bugged. They later fixed it with one of the updates but I never used it again. 

I've only tried it for a couple of weeks now, but it runs fine for me. I'd recommend trying again. Save the planet!😉

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, s0cks said:

I wish there was an even lower power mode for when downloading in content manager though

Apart from when actually flying, there's little need for maximum graphics content. It's like lasers at a gig - makes it look good but doesn't improve the music! There should be a low power option for the hangar - surely a slideshow of static shots of your aircraft would be less work for the GPU? As it is, my GPU fan ramps up to full power for that as well.

47 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Be sure to share your findings.

I surely will, but not until tomorrow night, Greenwich time 😒.

I have also been using MSI Afterburner to throttle my RTX 3060Ti.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, 109Sqn said:

Apart from being quieter (and using less power), it can only do good for the lifespan of GPU fans.

That is why I limit frame rate when up and out of the airport and before final approach when it needs all the processing power it can.  Up in the air with unlocked frames of 50-90 it simply makes no difference, so I set at 36 all's amply fluid.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have it on since it was implemented. Much healthier for the GPU. I also limited my FPS to 30 which keep the temperatures low(er) during flights.

I've been using it for ages now. Heck, my town won't even have Christmas lights this year due to energy shortage concerns so if I can save a tiny bit on using electricity in MSFS then I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

At 30 fps my fan runs at 30% but at 60 fps it runs at 80% to 90%.  30 fps is sufficient for flight simming in my 30 years of experience.

I think movies only run at about 25 fps 

• Like 4

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

36 minutes ago, cianpars said:

I think movies only run at about 25 fps

That is different due to motion blur kind of blending the frames but that's another discussion. 🙂

• Like 1

Used it but it didn't make a difference AT ALL. Afaik it should also lower usage whenever you pause the sim (to the menu)? My fans keep blowing with and without this settings. I might give it another try though...

What DOES really help me whenever I need to pause the game is to click on SAVE FLIGHT (or whatever the option is called): as SOON as the menu opens in which I can select a folder to save the flight to (at which point I do NOT actually save the flight: I just keep that window open) ALL my fans go silent... Really completely silent!!! So whenever I need to pause the sim for a longer period I always 'save' it: I just keep that window open until I return to the sim after which I click on CANCEL and proceed the flight. This is the ONLY way to pause the system wiithout my fans blowing themselves crazy.

Now... what really bugs me is WHY OH WHY can the sim 'cool down' a 100% when I have that save window opened and not when I simply pause the sim...??? Clearly something happens in the background as soon as you open that window so WHY can't Asobo make the same thing happening whenever I simply pause the sim...???!!!

• Like 2

Been using it for a few weeks. GPU definitely gets a bit of a break in the menu’s, does not spin the fans like crazy. Works well, no problems since using it.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor