Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Post SU11 PMDG Porpoising SOLVED

Many PMDG 737 owners have posted messages here and on other forums about how their 737s have been bouncing up and down during flight since the release of SU11. This visual effect can be almost sickening if you happen to be afflicted with this issue.

Earlier today, I read a comment on the PMDG forum that I dismissed at first, but soon realized was the answer to this bouncy problem. The comment warned that all pilot assistance options should be disabled in MSFS when using the PMDG 737. I didn't think I had any pilot assistance options enabled, so this couldn't possibly be the reason my 737 was continually bobbing up and down. Out of frustration I nonetheless checked under Options > Assistance Options > Piloting, and found that my AI Auto-Trim was enabled. Everything else was disabled, and I have no memory at all of enabling the AI Auto-Trim. But there it was On for some reason. I disabled the AI Auto-Trim, and the porpoising immediately ceased.

I have no idea why this problem didn't surface until SU11 nor when or why my AI Auto-Trim was erroneously enabled. It was obviously my own fault. But if you're suffering this bouncy problem with the 737, please do a double check of your pilot-assistance options, even if, like me, you're "certain" they're already off.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Hmm nice find. I'll have a look myself.

Thanks Dave 

• Like 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

13 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

Hmm nice find. I'll have a look myself.

Thanks Dave 

This may explain why many users suffered this bouncy problem, while others had no issues at all.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Very interesting , Going to check this out 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X; ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 OC Edition,; Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64GBSamsung Odyssey G70B 32inch 144Hz 4K UHD IPS Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160
Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; Tobii 5 Eye Tracker,  Trustmaster Boeing Yoke & Quadrant 

Paul Nicholls

Always worth running through your settings after an update. They seem to get reset in odd ways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Since SU9, if I correctly recall, I have a checklist whenever I enter MFS, with two items ( MFS Preparation 🙂 )

- Check options under Assiatnce ;

- Choose the correct controller configuration for my stick, HOTAS and Rudder, nbased on the aircraft I'm planning to use in the session.

Although it is not required AFAIK, I always restart MFS when I want to change an aircraft, or make a new flight even with the same I just used. This was inherited from other versions of the simulators and addons I used in the past. I am sure MFS code is optimized enough and well designed to overcome such need, but... just in case ...

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have a flight out of Cologne this afternoon so I will check this specifically.

• Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

well, interesting, wanted to check my AI piloting settings as well - though having no issues with the Fenix - and see this -->

Screenshot-1743.png

Assistance Options are set to a "Volocopter" profile and many settings are actually greyed out?! anybody else? Wonder whether the A320 is considered a volocopter nowadays 😉

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

41 minutes ago, DAD said:

well, interesting, wanted to check my AI piloting settings as well - though having no issues with the Fenix - and see this -->

Screenshot-1743.png

Assistance Options are set to a "Volocopter" profile and many settings are actually greyed out?! anybody else? Wonder whether the A320 is considered a volocopter nowadays 😉

It's an option that devs can force to disable all flight assists on their plane, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

If anyone wants to have this option turned off for this particular airplane, just make an entry in flight_model.cfg under [flight_tuning] section to show  "disable_assistances=1".
I wonder why they don't have it already implemented, especially when is a known problem with their product.

[flight_tuning]

disable_assistances=1

modern_fm_only=1

Edited by LRBS
  • Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I have the bouncy issue at cruise sometimes and none of my assistance is on. Double checked.  I can be climbing smoothly and as soon as the plane levels out, the bouncing starts.  Same on initial decent, bouncy at cruise then as soon as the decent starts, it stops.  

19 minutes ago, tgsweat said:

I have the bouncy issue at cruise sometimes and none of my assistance is on. Double checked.  I can be climbing smoothly and as soon as the plane levels out, the bouncing starts.  Same on initial decent, bouncy at cruise then as soon as the decent starts, it stops.  

Try this please in flight_model.cfg under

[aerodynamics]
fuselage_rigidity = -1
fuselage_inertia    = 0

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

41 minutes ago, tgsweat said:

In my case it is an unexpected bounce every once in a while and I think a weather update (abrupt pressure change) is the culprit. All the possible interfering options in the Assistance menu are off.

• Upvote 1

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

1 hour ago, LRBS said:

disable_assistances=1

1 hour ago, LRBS said:

fuselage_rigidity = -1
fuselage_inertia    = 0

Tried these suggestions in the Milviz 310 and it seems to have made a difference, albeit I've only done one flight. But the porpoising is no longer there  so it's a keeper.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe