Hi everyone,

after many years of proud service, I'm about to change my GTX1080 and my designed successor would be the RTX4080.
I'm not much of an expert in hardware so my main doubt is: how much the new GPU would be bottlenecked by my I7 9700k@3.60GHz in MSFS?
Is it still worth the upgrade or do you think that it will limit the GPU too much?

What monitor resolution do you run, as that will influence the balance of CPU/GPU dependency?

DLSS3 frame generation is a game-changer and will probably be the biggest positive impact with the 4080, and will help mask the relative inadequacy of the 9700K.

DLSS3 and frame generation aside, the 9700K will be the limiting factor for Terrain LOD, lots of AI traffic, complex addon aircraft, complex scenery, or anything else that is heavily dependent on CPU. Eye candy such as Render Scale, anti-aliasing, shadows, reflections, clouds, texture resolution etc. will benefit from the GPU upgrade.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

On 11/30/2022 at 4:03 PM, somiller said:

What monitor resolution do you run, as that will influence the balance of CPU/GPU dependency?

DLSS3 frame generation is a game-changer and will probably be the biggest positive impact with the 4080, and will help mask the relative inadequacy of the 9700K.

DLSS3 and frame generation aside, the 9700K will be the limiting factor for Terrain LOD, lots of AI traffic, complex addon aircraft, complex scenery, or anything else that is heavily dependent on CPU. Eye candy such as Render Scale, anti-aliasing, shadows, reflections, clouds, texture resolution etc. will benefit from the GPU upgrade.

Hi! Thanks for your answer, for some reason I didn't get any notification so I've just seen it.

I'm runnind a 2560x1440 165Hz monitor (MSI Optix MAG)

I would hope someone with a system similar to yours would chime is as I don't have any experience with the 4000 series. Other threads specifically about DLSS3 and frame generation seem to indicate it's probably the greatest improvement to fps and smoothness across a single generation change. I suspect you would be quite happy with an upgrade to the 4080. If you were running my 6700K, I don't think it would be worth the upgrade, but the 9700K is quite a bit stronger.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB