Sign in to follow this  
tbj

Can I force LNM to open on second monitor?

Hello All,

This is my first post so please point out any broken rules or advice. I've only been using LNM for a few months but lately (after MSFS2020 SU11) I have problems when opening it. From memory it did always used to open on a second ACER 19" monitor which is what I want. Now it has a habit of opening the very top line (Little Navmap 2.6.19) on the Acer and a portion of the rest, along with the Alitude profile (if open) on the lower IIyama main monitor. There is nothing I can do about this since the menu and menu icons don't show. I have to close it with Ctrl-Alt-Del and try again. I have now resorted to leaving it on the bigger screen to close because it does seem to open ok there, but I have to resize smaller, drag it to the Acer and then maximise it there.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Normally LNM opens on the last screen where it was closed. The program puts the window back to the main screen if it detects an off-screen situation which can happen after disconnecting a monitor. It also remembers if the window was maximized.

That's at least how it's working here on my flying computer. It always reopens on the second screen in maximize state.

Did you accidentally check "Load window layout from last used file" in options on page "Startup and Updates" by any chance?
Or did you enable the full screen mode if the toolbar is not visible? Press F11 or uncheck "Toggle fullscreen mode" in menu "Window".

Alex

HI alex,

Thank you for your reply. I tried to open LNM after I read your message and all I can get is 'LittleNavMap is already open'.

I've tried a restart on the PC and closed and re-opened it. My LNM icon on the taskbar has suddenly changed to a Notepad type icon and right clicking and choosing 'Close window' is the only way I can stop these messages but when I try again I'm back to 'LNM is already open. It seems like I've done something that it really doesn't like so I'm thinking uninstall and reinstall but I can't find LNM in Apps. to uninstall it. Is that because it doesn't make any entries in Registry?

Regards,

Trevor.

1 hour ago, tbj said:

Thank you for your reply. I tried to open LNM after I read your message and all I can get is 'LittleNavMap is already open'.

It's either really open or some remains from closing it forcibly are still around. Look for littlenavmap.exe in the task manager and close it from there. Alternatively restart the system.

1 hour ago, tbj said:

I've tried a restart on the PC and closed and re-opened it. My LNM icon on the taskbar has suddenly changed to a Notepad type icon and right clicking and choosing 'Close window' is the only way I can stop these messages but when I try again I'm back to 'LNM is already open.

Start LNM from the installation folder. Looks like the link on the task manager is broken. Maybe points to a wrong or old installation.

1 hour ago, tbj said:

It seems like I've done something that it really doesn't like so I'm thinking uninstall and reinstall but I can't find LNM in Apps. to uninstall it. Is that because it doesn't make any entries in Registry?

Uninstalling is done by just deleting the installation folder. Settings are stored in another place (C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ABarthel).

Maybe you problem is related to this: https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap-faq.html#start-monitor

Alex

Hello again, Alex,

I'm sorry to be a pest but I'm still stuck. I looked firstly at the link, I don't think that's the problem although I did disconnect the second monitor but later reconnected it. It now shows up in Display Options as the correct monitor number and identifies correctly as always (Windows 11, again as always).

So I deleted the folder from C:/Users/Username/Documents/Little Navmap

'Little Navmap files' was still there and so I left it. I reinstalled 2.6.19, unzipped, ran the exe file direct from the folder although I did first make a shortcut for the desktop. Exactly the same thing happens, the start up screen opens, then disappears and all following efforts result in 'Little Navmap is already running' and the blue globe icon changes to a white document type icon on the taskbar but see below.

One thing I did notice as peculiar is that I have a folder as mentioned above with the Little Navmap folder and the Little Navmap Files folder in but when I open the Little Navmap folder, there is another Little Navmap folder within it. Both of them have littlenavmap.exe in and appear to be duplicates. The first one was created on 24-09-2022 and its child on 21-09-2022. Only the first one results in the 'document' icon but otherwise the same thing happens.

What have I done?

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

C:/Users/Username/Documents/Little Navmap  does not store databases and settings. To do a total reset you have to remove (or rename to have a backup) the folder "ABarthel" here: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ABarthel .

You can send me the log file if this does not help (https://albar965.github.io/contact.html). Maybe I can see something in it.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thank goodness and thank you. At least I can now open LNM although it still wants to do the split screen thing but it opens on the main screen every time and I have to move it up to the other monitor. The icon stays as it should and it connects to MSFS but airports, feathers etc. aren't showing up yet so I assume that I now remove everything concerned with LNM and start again?

I will send the log in case you can see what happened.

Thanks again and I hope this will be the last time, on this subject anyway.

Regards,

Trevor.

FYI. Mine always opens on the monitor that it was last closed.  I have 4 monitors on WIN 10.  Nvidia card.

Jim

CYWG

Edited by jagabom