Sign in to follow this  
bkeske

Cannot install FSX.....

I know there have been many posts and answers about this, but every time I haver tried to install FSX on my FS computer it fails with the dreaded 1722 error.I spent the weekend trying all the fixes I have seen posted here, including logging on as the 'straight' Administrator, and that failed as well. I have never gotten FSX installed on that computer once, so the 1722 fix seemed out of place, but tried it anyway with all the various fixes suggested. I also tried the Windows resource kit with no success, including all the different commands suggested.Finally I tried installing it on my old computer, and the install went fine, but I won't run FSX on that system, so removed it prior to actually activating the product.Short of reinstalling XP (which I highly doubt I will do at this point), or calling MS, does anyone have a clue?? Cause I'm ready to shelve this thing and simply forget about it all together.Thanks in advance.

Brian, the "1722 error" is because of a problem on your system. Something is FUBARed in the Windows Installer. It just happens to be rearing it's ugly head with attempted FSX installation, but who knows what else may also "fall over dead" in the future with other software titles that use the Win msi?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Gee Bill, I'm not sure I wanted to read what you are suggesting.I knew I should have installed my XP clean prior to loading up this (that) machine.....So, you do not feel there is any fix other than a re-install of the operating system?.....this stuff from MS just irks me to no end, I have no other issues at all until I get to a software where they want to be extremely aggressive about ownership and registration....but then, it may be the future for many FS products as well. Don't mean I will ever like it ;)

Yea, I did Jim....didn't work...but thanks.

Guest n99wb

Try installing in safe-mode.People have also reported success by copying all the files on theDVD's to a folder and installing from there.

I tried safe mode...no go.I haven't tried copying from the DVD's....yet....You know, I am networked to my other computer....I wonder what it would perform like if I installed FSX on that box (as it will load on that one) and access FSX via my network?

It's possible that FSX might load and run as long as it simply "sees" the remote machine's path as a networked hard drive......but performance would probably be horrible with the latency in file xfer across the LAN!I'm assuming that you followed the MS Knowledge base instructions to the "T" with regards to repairing the Registry...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>I'm assuming that you followed the MS Knowledge base>instructions to the "T" with regards to repairing the>Registry...To be honest Bill, I'm not sure anymore I've tried so many suggestions...Exactly which 'knowledge base' or Registry repair tool are you referencing?I'm always willing to give this a couple more shots....and I really don't want to call MS if I don't have to. At this point their suggestion will probably be reinstalling XP. I just have a problem when a program requires the re installation of the operating system, when I have many more that have not.

>I know there have been many posts and answers about this, but>every time I haver tried to install FSX on my FS computer it>fails with the dreaded 1722 error.>>I spent the weekend trying all the fixes I have seen posted>here, including logging on as the 'straight' Administrator,>and that failed as well. I have never gotten FSX installed on>that computer once, so the 1722 fix seemed out of place, but>tried it anyway with all the various fixes suggested. I also>tried the Windows resource kit with no success, including all>the different commands suggested.>>Finally I tried installing it on my old computer, and the>install went fine, but I won't run FSX on that system, so>removed it prior to actually activating the product.>>Short of reinstalling XP (which I highly doubt I will do at>this point), or calling MS, does anyone have a clue?? Cause>I'm ready to shelve this thing and simply forget about it all>together.>>Thanks in advance.Barrow a DVD from a friend and try it.

I did all the "fixes" knowledgbase regedits etc,1702 fixes-and worse yet-the sim would just not activate after using all of the "fixes". I finally decided I was spending too much time trying to save everything and would ultimately save more time just reinstalling Vista in my case and starting over. I am so glad I did-this time I left off my virus protection program-reinstalled everything from the ground up-and have dedicated this machine to the sim only. The sim runs so much smoother and better, I am getting no blurries even with ultimate traffic, it loads super fast, and all my add ins are running properly. (for now...).Maybe a bad thing can end up being a good thing!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Like I stated, I installed it on my second computer....just did not activate it.

Just to update you folks....Bill you were right....after many many many attempts to work things out, I finally reinstalled XP after backing everything up. FSX installed just fine.Now, the work of resetting up FS9, and everything else on my computers.Ain't this fun? :D