Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Navdata Pro or Navigraph?

I have been using Navigraph for a few years now, both for nav data and charts, not because of any specific choice, just because...  but it occurred to me that there are other options, or is there just one alternative... Navdata Pro from Aerosoft? I often get myself confused accessing the correct charts in Navigraph and wondering if Navdata Pro maybe easier. The charts themselves look 'different' and often easier to read, or is this just me? I'd be interested to hear opinons from anyone who has used both and can offer some comparative feedback. I know there are posts elsewhere, but I wanted to ask just in case things may have changed between the two options. Thanks guys.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Used Navdata Pro like 2 years ago, since then using Navigraph 

Navdata Pro uses Lido Format for maps and Navigraph uses Jeppesen - this is the fundamental difference 

I agree with you, Lido charts are easier to read, I also prefer "cleaner" look of the Lido charts vs Jeppesen - so 1:0 for Navdata Pro vs Navigraph in this one

However, there are some other things that making Navigraph much better charts provider (in my opinion): 

1. Integration with addons: this is the most important advantage. Navigraph charts are integrated in most of the aircraft addons we have (Fenix A320, FBW A32X, JF BAE 146, when PMDG will release EFB it also will have the Navigraph integration for sure) - this is one significant advantage Navigraph has over Navdata Pro. Of course for some simmers it is not important, because they are using this apps on iPad/tablets, and its fine 
  2. Larger airport database: I am not 100% sure, but I have read somewhere that Navigraph has charts for more airports than Navdata Pro. For me it is also relevant, because I like flying to smaller airports, however if you are focusing on the main/larger airports, Navdata Pro should be fine
  3. More data on charts: On one hand I stated that I prefer Lido format, yes, however in Jeppesen in general you have more additional information about proceduers, ref pages, etc. than in Lido charts. It is also important factor for me 

Rockcliffe,

You can actually get all the charts for free.  In UK you have free access to the UK AIP (Aeronautical Information Publication) which gives you all the charts and approach criteria for all airports.  You just need to download them to a directory and pull them up when you need them.  You can also access other countries AIP and do the same.  You can easily access US and European airport data and charts through Skyvector.  No charge.  Obviously Navigraph and others come with bells and whistles, but if you just want access to approach and departure charts then there’s no contest.  PM me if you want more detail on access and where to look.

Kev

Free is good. But, to have so much in one package makes Navigraph worth it to me. The latest update added so much and there is more coming. I can't imagine using anything else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

There is a point and there is a problem:

The point of a Navigraph subscription is that you get the total package - charts, flight planner, ingame panel, navdata. For me, having charts available in-game without having to alt-tab out is essential for immersion. In addition, I can display the charts I need on G3000 MFD.

The problem is that Navigraph is kind of a "monopoly" - meaning you're dependent on them for providing updates and fixes, having to wait - example: the Android app, which seems to be awol on the Google playstore, and isn't all that great to begin with, or the still-missing upgrade of the in-game panel to Navigraph 8 (apparently a fix is ready to be released "within days"?)

A company like Navigraph needs a competitor.

• Like 1

The real death blow by Navigraph to competition is them buying Simbrief..  Now everyone is forced (i.e. those who start with simbrief for planning and this is 90% of simmers) to get into navigraph's world whether they like it or not.. 

Navdatapro offers one time purchases which is a much better alternative to the subscription model.. but unfortunately, my flight planning relies on simbrief.. I can plan with LNM and other tools, but simbrief gives all other cool stuff like winds aloft etc which is hard to get from other tools.. 

In my country, navigraph subscriptions don't work (e-commerce restrictions require some extra steps which navigraph won't comply with), so I'm still stuck at AIRAC 2103 in simbrief.. 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

1 hour ago, vin747 said:

The real death blow by Navigraph to competition is them buying Simbrief..  Now everyone is forced (i.e. those who start with simbrief for planning and this is 90% of simmers) to get into navigraph's world whether they like it or not.. 

Navdatapro offers one time purchases which is a much better alternative to the subscription model.. but unfortunately, my flight planning relies on simbrief.. I can plan with LNM and other tools, but simbrief gives all other cool stuff like winds aloft etc which is hard to get from other tools.. 

In my country, navigraph subscriptions don't work (e-commerce restrictions require some extra steps which navigraph won't comply with), so I'm still stuck at AIRAC 2103 in simbrief.. 

You don't have to get into Navigraph's world other than to sign onto the Simbrief  via a Navigrpah account, which is free, unless you want to subscribe to one of their services.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

You don't have to get into Navigraph's world other than to sign onto the Simbrief  via a Navigrpah account, which is free, unless you want to subscribe to one of their services.

He does if he doesn’t want to use nearly 2 year old nav data to plan his flight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vin747 said:

The real death blow by Navigraph to competition is them buying Simbrief.

I'm still at a loss to see how the purchase improved the Simbrief experience. Semms the same old Simbrief experience to me, except that you now have to take a roundtrip via a Navigraph account. 

Edited by Ricardo41

2 hours ago, ShawnG said:

He does if he doesn’t want to use nearly 2 year old nav data to plan his flight.

Yes exactly.. I am stuck with 2103 if I wanna use simbrief.. now if simbrief partnered with navdatapro for argument sake, I could have easily bought a one time airac which is latest cycle and then do my planning with simbrief.. its not a big problem if you're flying outside of US, but within the US, the Sids/Stars change a lot between cycles.. 

Vinod Kumar

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

I'm still at a loss to see how the purchase improved the Simbrief experience. Semms the same old Simbrief experience to me, except that you now have to take a roundtrip via a Navigraph account. 

It doesn’t improve simbrief user experience but it helped Navigraph blow the competition out of the water. You cannot update your simbrief airac with NavData pro so you are forced to sub to navigraph. 

Vinod Kumar

11 minutes ago, vin747 said:

Yes exactly.. I am stuck with 2103 if I wanna use simbrief.. now if simbrief partnered with navdatapro for argument sake, I could have easily bought a one time airac which is latest cycle and then do my planning with simbrief.. its not a big problem if you're flying outside of US, but within the US, the Sids/Stars change a lot between cycles.. 

You can do a one time update of Navdata from Navigraph too. I think it is around $9.

https://navigraph.com/pricing

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

14 minutes ago, vin747 said:

Was this not the case before Navigraph bought Simbrief anyway? I always thought you had to log into Navigraph to unlock the latest AIRAC data before and after they bought it. 

• Upvote 1

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

3 hours ago, Zangoose said:

Was this not the case before Navigraph bought Simbrief anyway? I always thought you had to log into Navigraph to unlock the latest AIRAC data before and after they bought it. 

True

Thanks for all the info guys, very interesting. I think I'll stick with Navigraph... at least for now. Cheers :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776