Sign in to follow this  
RobPol471

MSFS 2020 improved after release of update KB5020044 for W11

After installing the KB5020044 update for Windows 11, I found an improvement in both fps and scenario loading.

In the release notes of KB5020044 there is a reference to games which states " It addresses an issue that affects the performance of some games and applications. This issue is related to GPU performance debugging features."

• Like 1

Just FYI that fix was mainly directed at VR users with WMR headsets as there was a logging issue which causes stutters & severe lags, see here:

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

That fix definitely cleared up the stuttering issues I was experiencing in VR flights. Prior to the fix being released, I had to be sure to kill the HolographicShell process before trying to fly. Now, I don't have to. So it was definitely worth the little bit of time it took to install the patch for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Malaromane said:

That fix definitely cleared up the stuttering issues I was experiencing in VR flights. Prior to the fix being released, I had to be sure to kill the HolographicShell process before trying to fly. Now, I don't have to. So it was definitely worth the little bit of time it took to install the patch for me.

So is it worth updating to WIN 11 from 10 in order to get a smoother VR experience?

How did you guys update? When i look for updates all im getting is "coming soon: Windows 11, version 22h2". There is no download button on mine...

Also, when I look at the update log I see that "Windows 11, version 22h2" was installed 09.10.2022

Edited by Kaboki

11 minutes ago, peppy197 said:

So is it worth updating to WIN 11 from 10 in order to get a smoother VR experience?

I'm not sure I can answer that question legitimately. When I bought my Reverb G2, I was running a PC that was a Core i7 8700K w/an RTX 2080 running Windows 10. I very quickly realised that I'd need to build a new machine if I wanted an acceptable (to me) level of detail in VR and still maintain decent performance. 

So I built a new machine (Ryzen 7700X w/an RTX 3080 Ti and installed Windows 11. My VR performance definitely improved but that's likely down to the new hardware. What Windows 11 contributed to that, I can't say.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malaromane said:

I'm not sure I can answer that question legitimately. When I bought my Reverb G2, I was running a PC that was a Core i7 8700K w/an RTX 2080 running Windows 10. I very quickly realised that I'd need to build a new machine if I wanted an acceptable (to me) level of detail in VR and still maintain decent performance. 

So I built a new machine (Ryzen 7700X w/an RTX 3080 Ti and installed Windows 11. My VR performance definitely improved but that's likely down to the new hardware. What Windows 11 contributed to that, I can't say.

I would update to WIN 11 if it were not for the crappy desktop layouts

22 minutes ago, peppy197 said:

I can't speak regarding VR but, W11 is much better optimized in many aspects, and for sure with a 3090 card you will notice a positive difference. As each PC is different, you might need small adjustments, nothing major. After installation, you can come back for the fine-tuning. Initially, probably you will go crazy with the differences of using it, but don't give up. It's worth it. Me, personally, for about a week time I went nuts, I'm glad that I switched.  For some reason, the updates to W11 22H2 are related to the PC architecture plus geographical location, but, if you install clean with their toll, the update is included.

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 minute ago, LRBS said:

....., but, if you install clean with their toll, the update is included.

what does that mean?

28 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

How did you guys update? When i look for updates all im getting is "coming soon: Windows 11, version 22h2". There is no download button on mine...

Also, when I look at the update log I see that "Windows 11, version 22h2" was installed 09.10.2022

1. If you want to install the update now, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update , and then select Check for updates. ...
  2. If version 22H2 isn't offered automatically through Check for updates, you can get it manually through the Windows Update Assistant.

https://www.minitool.com/news/windows-10-22h2-not-showing-up-installing-fixed.html

35 minutes ago, peppy197 said:

what does that mean?

Install on a PC that is incompatible with W11

or this for a PC with minimum requirements

https://www.howtogeek.com/790225/how-to-install-windows-11-from-a-usb-drive/
Edited by LRBS

1 hour ago, Kaboki said:

[dumb comment redacted]

Nevermind. I should have read your _full_ comment and then I'd have noticed that you _are_ already running W11 22H2.

Forgive my wasted bandwidth. I shall go sit in a corner and consider the error of my ways for a few minutes. 🙂

Edited by Malaromane
  • Like 1

Windows 11 does have crappy windows desktop layout. But all those issues can be fixed in the registry. reddit has the procedures. Use Google to find them all.

For  instance I can drag the taskbar to any of the 4 edges of the desktop. The icons are not all centered if I don't want them to be. The size of the icons on the taskbar are resettable. More importantly for me toolbars can be added to the taskbar. None of this is possible when Windows 11 installs. 

If the taskbar is at the bottom of the desktop, a toolbar is a vertical taskbar that is invisible but pops up when you click its icon which is located on the far right of the taskbar. In that vertical bar I put all my MSFS stuff, organized in folders. In other words a toolbar dedicated to MSFS. This is way better than just having a folder for MSFS on the taskbar, but having a toolbar instead.

I had to take a couple hours to restore Windows 11 to have a decent desktop. But once it's done there's no more work to do. The registry changes to do not reset with Windows update. It stays as you want it until you go into the registry again.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Malaromane said:

[dumb comment redacted]

Nevermind. I should have read your _full_ comment and then I'd have noticed that you _are_ already running W11 22H2.

Forgive my wasted bandwidth. I shall go sit in a corner and consider the error of my ways for a few minutes. 🙂

Yeah, but why do I get the message that the update is on its way to my device. And the log said I installed it in October, tought this update came out just now... Im confused

Edit: checked the sytem info, it says I have version 21H2 insatlled and not 22H2...

Edit2: I now remember what might have caused my issue. In october I saw the 22H2 update available as an alternative, installed it, but it screwed up my system big time. So I had to do a system restore to get back too version 21H2. So maybe something got messed up and windows think I have this version installed even if its not... think Im screwed and maybe have to reinstall everything, god I hate computers....

Edited by Kaboki

50 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

Yeah, but why do I get the message that the update is on its way to my device. And the log said I installed it in October, tought this update came out just now... Im confused

Edit: checked the sytem info, it says I have version 21H2 insatlled and not 22H2...

Edit2: I now remember what might have caused my issue. In october I saw the 22H2 update available as an alternative, installed it, but it screwed up my system big time. So I had to do a system restore to get back too version 21H2. So maybe something got messed up and windows think I have this version installed even if its not... think Im screwed and maybe have to reinstall everything, god I hate computers....

ha yes, but without computers you cannot fly at all. i am not sorry i went to xbox,,it has it issues also, but no need to tune or so.

much more gaming time than trying to make it run optimal hehe