Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Razer Tartarus Pro Thoughts

I currently use an inexpensive Xbox controller as a means of selecting different camera views and I'm just wondering if I may get some benefit from replacing it with a Razer Tartarus Pro. Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

7 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I currently use an inexpensive Xbox controller as a means of selecting different camera views and I'm just wondering if I may get some benefit from replacing it with a Razer Tartarus Pro. Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

I just use my flight controls to use external view.  If I do drone view it has a separate mode so I can still use my flight controls for translation of the drone.  I think people assume we need more peripherals to move about in drone when actually you can use your same controls.

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I was given a Razer Tartarus (can't say for sure if ut was the Pro but I believe it was) and I never really got it to work right except once.  Windows 11 would always give me an alert on startup that "a USB device" was not working properly (I must be running a Canadian build of W11 since it was too polite to just blame the Tartarus directly).  You also have to install and run Razer's software to initialize and configure it, and their software requires you to creat a login account and provide your email etc... a little over the top for just a peripheral device.  On the upside, MSFS did seem to recognize it by name once I got it configured but I was unsuccessful assigning any commands to it - I believe the one I had was defective or had otherwise gone Tango Uniform in some way which is why it was free.

Its a cool idea and your experience will likely be better but I would make sure you purchase from a vendor with a good return policy.  At the end of the day you are getting a bunch of buttons and you can achieve the same result with other options including setting up a tablet.

• Like 2

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

22 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I just use my flight controls to use external view.  If I do drone view it has a separate mode so I can still use my flight controls for translation of the drone.  I think people assume we need more peripherals to move about in drone when actually you can use your same controls.

8 hours ago, Stoopy said:

I was given a Razer Tartarus (can't say for sure if ut was the Pro but I believe it was) and I never really got it to work right except once.  Windows 11 would always give me an alert on startup that "a USB device" was not working properly (I must be running a Canadian build of W11 since it was too polite to just blame the Tartarus directly).  You also have to install and run Razer's software to initialize and configure it, and their software requires you to creat a login account and provide your email etc... a little over the top for just a peripheral device.  On the upside, MSFS did seem to recognize it by name once I got it configured but I was unsuccessful assigning any commands to it - I believe the one I had was defective or had otherwise gone Tango Uniform in some way which is why it was free.

Its a cool idea and your experience will likely be better but I would make sure you purchase from a vendor with a good return policy.  At the end of the day you are getting a bunch of buttons and you can achieve the same result with other options including setting up a tablet.

Yeah, you more or less confirmed my own thoughts really fellas. I'll take a closer look but very likely take on board what you're said. Thanks guys, appreciated.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

9 hours ago, Stoopy said:

I had similar issues with a $200 Razer keyboard years ago. Worked for a month, then the firmware bricked it. Literally nothing could fix it, their support was useless, and an RMA keyboard had the same issues.

I haven't gone back to Razer since. 

Much happier with my Corsair peripherals these days. I'd recommend maybe a mouse with some additional keys on it if you want something to quick-switch views. Otherwise I use keyboard commands and I'm as happy as I can be with the MSFS camera.

Their nagging, intrusive, buggy, perpetually updating software outweighs any advantage the hardware brings to the table in my opinion.  Coped with it for about a year, then scrapped it and reverted to my old but much more reliable Logitech G13.

Would not recommend.

Richard P. Kelly

Have been using Razer Orbweaver for more than 10 years. Fantastic in combination with Chaseplane in previous flight sims. Better than Tartarus in my view but unfortunately not available anymore. 20 Programable keys for views in cockpit as well as internal/external views in FS2020. Never had any problems with updates or sticky keys. As a matter of fact as good as new. One of the best hardware periferals I have at the moment.

Leon Gerber

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core 4.12 Ghz (water cooled)GPU: MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti 12 GBMemory: Corsair 32GB / MB:  Asustek computer, TUF Gaming B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) (AM4) / SSD: Samsung 2GB 2x / HD: Seagate 4 GBPSU: ROG Strix 1000W

Howard-

I use the cheapest XBox wired controller available for my occasional photos… no complaints.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I'll be the lone voice in the wilderness to say that my Razer Tartarus Pro (and Naga Pro mouse) has been working flawlessly and I've had no trouble with the Synapse software. In fact, when I built my new sim rig, all I had to do was install the Synapse software and log in and all of the profiles I'd created on my old PC synced and were there waiting for me on the new machine. Have been very happy with both devices.

Here's a thread on an alternative, if you have a tablet and you can set up multiple pages of buttons:

Edited by Stoopy

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!