Sign in to follow this  
yonipony

Low fps on big cities with 4090.

1 hour ago, pstrub said:

It's also worth taking a look at the CPU power limit in the UEFI (Bios) settings. If unlimited, the CPU can produce too much heat even for a mid-level AIO water cooler. This thread on reddit might give some additional clues: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/yagkcy/i913900k_regularly_throttled_at_100c_in_cinebench/

You are so right about this. I had 'remove all limits' set in my bios to start with, and even my Corsair 150 water block couldn't handle it.

It can now with hyperthreading off, and I get excellent performance and lower temps.

I would never normally advise doing this, but on the 13900, 8 cores running at between 5.4 and 5.8 GHz seems to be enough, especially as the sim is mainly main thread limited and doesn't seem to respond any better to more than 8 fast cores (or the extra threads from hyperthreading actually).

Although I didn't expect it, this is now the best performance I have ever had in the sim.

I have disabled a lot of E-cores as well.  Four is just enough to run FSRealistic, Sky4sim, and a few other background processes allocated by process lasso.

Amazing performance and smoothness now, and the P-cores don't go anywhere near 100C.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

4 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

You are so right about this. I had 'remove all limits' set in my bios to start with, and even my Corsair 150 water block couldn't handle it.

It can now with hyperthreading off, and I get excellent performance and lower temps.

I would never normally advise doing this, but on the 13900, 8 cores running at between 5.4 and 5.8 GHz seems to be enough, especially as the sim is mainly main thread limited and doesn't seem to respond any better to more than 8 fast cores (or the extra threads from hyperthreading actually).

Although I didn't expect it, this is now the best performance I have ever had in the sim.

I have disabled a lot of E-cores as well.  Four is just enough to run FSRealistic, Sky4sim, and a few other background processes allocated by process lasso.

Amazing performance and smoothness now, and the P-cores don't go anywhere near 100C.

i tried what you said disabling hyperthreading still run with very high temps and low fps.

if i change terrain to 150 the fps is above 60 is between 60~100, but my pc should give me play with 400, so.. and i'm not playing 4k..

On 12/5/2022 at 7:30 AM, FrankR409 said:

I have virtually the same machine specs, all ultra (or highest setting) and terrain LOD at 400 and am still getting over 90 fps over New York for example in full 4k, so it isn’t that. Hope he finds what it is.

I added some additional data points to MSI to track cpu temps and then ran my New York test run again. Frames in the 90-100 range, gpu temps around 55c. Cpu temps were around 65c with an occasional 70ish.  Cpu usage was around 15%.  I see in articles that the 13900 runs hot, and 100c is actually in operating limits, but I think I would be worried to see it even constantly in the 80’s.

Hope the OP gets it all sorted.

• Like 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

9 hours ago, yonipony said:

i tried what you said disabling hyperthreading still run with very high temps and low fps.

Then this is totally not normal, and the two main suspects are: -

1.  Cooler definitely not seated properly on top of the CPU.  I had to do a mod on my Z690 motherboard to get it to contact the top of the CPU properly - you can find details on Google, or even buy an adaptor plate.  GamerNexus and others covered the topic on youtube.  

2.  You have other processes that are using the CPU heavily at the same time as MSFS.  You can check this in Task Manager.  Alt-tab out of MSFS when running and at the top, click on the 'CPU' column to bring the main processes to the top.  You will then see what is running and burning up your processor.  Obviously MSFS should be towards the top, but anything else showing more than a few percent is taking up your processor time instead of just MSFS.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Suggestion: Run Cinebench to check the CPU and install HWInfo to see the CPU temps and frequency while doing so.

As the others say: Something seems to be odd with your CPU.

• Like 1

@yonipony You haven't told us if your computer was built by you, a reputable PC building business or some random PC shop.

It's important because there are several possible causes of your high temperatures. Some relate to the physical build (e.g. too little or too much thermal paste, inappropriate cooling, overuse of RGB), some to your bios settings, some to bad configurations, and some to possible software/malware running in the background while you are gaming.

The only way to help narrow down the cause of your problem is by giving everyone much more information.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

14 hours ago, yonipony said:

if i change terrain to 150 the fps is above 60 is between 60~100, but my pc should give me play with 400, so.. and i'm not playing 4k..

Lol. In that case … you need to get used to low fps 🙂 

you need to choose between FPS and LOD. If you won’t compromise , no amount of tweaking is going to satisfy you, 

There really needs to be a mod auto response to performance topics that says something like, remember if you are requesting performance advice please post your community folder, task manager performance view, and developer mode displayed in MSFS.  Then a list of questions like: Have you modified the usercfg.opt, is your xmp profile activated in bios, etc.  99% of these problems are a result of a handful of scenarios. TLOD too high for your CPU, using AI at a big airport and bad mod in your community folder that you would never suspect are probably 90% of performance issues.  Everyone is ready to do brain surgery on a headache when it’s likely simple dehydratation.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, yonipony said:

Well LOD does seem to hit the CPU rather than the graphics card, but believe it or not, lower screen resolutions do not necessarily put less load on the CPU.
I know it sounds wrong, but this is the case.  Gamers Nexus and others on YouTube always run lower screen resolution when trying to max-out the CPU in testing - there are many videos explaining why.

My PC (very similar to yours) actually works better / smoother at 4k.  Is your monitor capable of it?  With a 3090 and 13900, you should be heading in that direction.
The only other thing is make sure screen scaling is not more than 100%, or you will hit big trouble, and also, try in DLSS at 4k in balanced mode - this should give you good visuals, good performance, and lower temperatures.  It does for me at 4k, and CPU and GPU are cool enough, even at up to 60fps.

If your graphics look a bit blurry in DLSS, just add sharpening to 100 in the settings.  This all works for me.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, F737MAX said:

@yonipony You haven't told us if your computer was built by you, a reputable PC building business or some random PC shop.

It's important because there are several possible causes of your high temperatures. Some relate to the physical build (e.g. too little or too much thermal paste, inappropriate cooling, overuse of RGB), some to your bios settings, some to bad configurations, and some to possible software/malware running in the background while you are gaming.

The only way to help narrow down the cause of your problem is by giving everyone much more information.

I see, it's built by private human, that building pc, i paid him to build my pc, he might did things wrong, but i can't confirm that, i tried to open my cpu case yesterday and see if the cooler stuck hard on the cpu, seems like yes.

Hi guys, a quick chime in here... for the most part happy with my setup, but i read its better to OC the CPU rather than let the Turbo thing do its work - which may cause fluctuating FPS - is this true? Should i just go into the bios and set the clock speeds to the best i can get? The reality is, i even in 2D mode i dont get the FPS i see on the youtube channels that rave about DLSS... even with the exact same settings they have.. most odd!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

11 minutes ago, yonipony said:

I see, it's built by private human, that building pc, i paid him to build my pc, he might did things wrong, but i can't confirm that, i tried to open my cpu case yesterday and see if the cooler stuck hard on the cpu, seems like yes.

That's a starting point at least.

Can you take a picture of your PC and the area where it is located? This is to check there is good airflow all around the case where you have placed it.
And another of the inside of your PC? Like this. To show us if there are any obvious errors in the build.

Ideally, you would go into the BIOS and take photos of the important screens which show, for example: overclocking, XMP and voltage pages.

The people helping you here will need to see screenshots of your MSFS settings:
https://i.imgur.com/FXdRRds.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rxk1dfM.jpg

and other screenshots of what tasks and programs are running in the background while you are gaming.

Remember, the more information you give (photos and screenshots), the more useful the help people can give you.

As @bobcat999 already pointed out, there are lots of useful suggestions of things to try in the meantime:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/627594-low-fps-on-big-cities-with-4090/?do=findComment&comment=4887959

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

10 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

That's a starting point at least.

Can you take a picture of your PC and the area where it is located? This is to check there is good airflow all around the case where you have placed it.
And another of the inside of your PC? Like this. To show us if there are any obvious errors in the build.

Ideally, you would go into the BIOS and take photos of the important screens which show, for example: overclocking, XMP and voltage pages.

The people helping you here will need to see screenshots of your MSFS settings:
https://i.imgur.com/FXdRRds.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rxk1dfM.jpg

and other screenshots of what tasks and programs are running in the background while you are gaming.

Remember, the more information you give (photos and screenshots), the more useful the help people can give you.

As @bobcat999 already pointed out, there are lots of useful suggestions of things to try in the meantime:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/627594-low-fps-on-big-cities-with-4090/?do=findComment&comment=4887959

I already tried everything in the comment you mentioned, for "safety" i did now a reinstall to the cpu cooler, and still same problem here is some pictures as you requested:

1.the computer its self: https://i.ibb.co/9tY96Mg/20221207-201531.jpg

2. the Socket before reinstall: https://i.ibb.co/grTrmdw/20221207-194650.jpg

3.msfs2020 settings as requested: https://i.ibb.co/jvs0QZB/totalsettings.png

sorry for the brightness is because the hdr settings.