All I can say,  is that I've been buying nvidia flagship GPU's for over 20 years.   Building PC's was a hobby.

But I cannot wait for the first chance to stick it to them.   They've squandered every bit of good will I've ever held toward them.

I take particular joy in seeing all the 4080's rotting on shelves.

The 4090 launch was just the end for me.    First the leather jacket guy stands on a stage and tells the world that he plans to manipulate the market.   Then they announce that (in the US) the 4xxx cards would be sold at just 5 retailers.

Two of the retailers are Amazon.com,  and Newegg.com.    Both of these "nvidia partners" are also "Marketplaces".     Amazon and Newegg sell Nvidia cards to GPU scalpers,   then they sell those same GPU's for the same scalpers,   to Amazon and Newegg's own customers,    in the process profiting TWICE from the sale of the same item.  They'll even hold the scalpers inventory,  and ship it for the scalper.

Best Buy has some kind of crookedness going on,  because there are single sellers on Ebay who have sold 80 or 90 4090 founders cards.  They are only sold at BB.  

Microcenter is awesome,  they sell only in-store and buyers have to present a drivers license in order to restrict GPU sales to 1 per customer over a 60 or 90 day period.   But they only have a dozen or so stores across the nation,   so they might as well be on another planet for most people.

B&H Photo in NYC is the last partner.   Great company,  but they're waiting on restock since launch day because leather jacket is manipulating the GPU market to sustain 3xxx sales for as long as possible.   I don't think we'll see a restock until AMD's launch day,  when Nvidia has to release some.

Basically,  my opinion is this.   Nvidia is run by a corporate psychopath.   During CV19's quarantines,  corporate psychopaths around the globe discovered that they can make record profits due to scarcity,   and that it doesn't matter if that scarcity is artificial or not.  

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Rumors are circulating that nvidia will be dropping the price of the 4080 in about two weeks.  The card isn't selling well; heck I can drive to a local computer shop, Central Computers, and buy one off the shelf right now.  They've been sitting there for days (just like in the good ol' days).  I'm bummed for those early adopters that may be burned by what could be coming.

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

18 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

All I can say,  is that I've been buying nvidia flagship GPU's for over 20 years.   Building PC's was a hobby.

But I cannot wait for the first chance to stick it to them.   They've squandered every bit of good will I've ever held toward them.

I'm also a long-time Nvidia customer, having used their products for the last few decades, but agree... any malaise coming their way is well deserved. 

I really hope AMD can produce some competitive products (at a much better price).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Everyone says that competition is a good thing.  In this case I'm betting on AMD but I hope they fix their GPU driver issues which have haunted them in the past.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 6:26 PM, Waldo Pepper said:

The 4090 launch was just the end for me.    First the leather jacket guy stands on a stage and tells the world that he plans to manipulate the market.   Then they announce that (in the US) the 4xxx cards would be sold at just 5 retailers.

Two of the retailers are Amazon.com,  and Newegg.com.    Both of these "nvidia partners" are also "Marketplaces".     Amazon and Newegg sell Nvidia cards to GPU scalpers,   then they sell those same GPU's for the same scalpers,   to Amazon and Newegg's own customers,    in the process profiting TWICE from the sale of the same item.  They'll even hold the scalpers inventory,  and ship it for the scalper.

Best Buy has some kind of crookedness going on,  because there are single sellers on Ebay who have sold 80 or 90 4090 founders cards.  They are only sold at BB.  

Microcenter is awesome,  they sell only in-store and buyers have to present a drivers license in order to restrict GPU sales to 1 per customer over a 60 or 90 day period.   But they only have a dozen or so stores across the nation,   so they might as well be on another planet for most people.

B&H Photo in NYC is the last partner.   Great company,  but they're waiting on restock since launch day because leather jacket is manipulating the GPU market to sustain 3xxx sales for as long as possible.   I don't think we'll see a restock until AMD's launch day,  when Nvidia has to release some.

Basically,  my opinion is this.   Nvidia is run by a corporate psychopath.   During CV19's quarantines,  corporate psychopaths around the globe discovered that they can make record profits due to scarcity,   and that it doesn't matter if that scarcity is artificial or not.  

Well said my friend !

Could not have put it better myself. I am seeing quite a few 4080's locally on FB marketplace and there is good local stocks. One guy was trying to sell an Asus ROG STRIX 4080 for $2,700 !!! I nearly fell off my chair laughing. I may have sent him a message pointing out the huge mistake he's made 🤣 All these idiots that rushed out and grabbed the 4080/4090 cards are going to get stuck with them. I brought my EVGA 3090 FTW3 brand new in August for $1,200 CDN, the seller had purchased 3 of them at the end of May for over $7,000, presumably he sold the other two cards for a similar amount, that is a substantial loss. I felt a little bad for the guy then I booted up MSFS with the 3090 and that feeling disappeared lol

The sad thing is I am seeing the used price of the 3080/3090 cards begin to climb again here. I think the GPU market is heading for a meltdown. 

• Upvote 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

This is the prime time for Intel to get its act together with their line of video cards.  Unfortunately, from what I have read, if you think AMD has poor drivers, Intel's video drivers make AMD look great.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 12/6/2022 at 5:40 PM, TheFamilyMan said:

Rumors are circulating that nvidia will be dropping the price of the 4080 in about two weeks.  The card isn't selling well; heck I can drive to a local computer shop, Central Computers, and buy one off the shelf right now.  They've been sitting there for days (just like in the good ol' days).  I'm bummed for those early adopters that may be burned by what could be coming.

When I bought mine I couldn't find any on release day and then last week when I actually bought it there were only 1 or 2 options for regular price at all the popular sites.  And they sold out in a few hours.

By regular price I mean the 4080 FE is 1199.  The MSI one I bought was 1299.  With tax I spent 1403 so it was essentially MSRP for a third party option. 

The excess 4080s I have seen are the way overpriced ASUS ROG ones at like 1600 USD etc or the ones sold on Amazon (but not sold by Amazon and priced higher).

I basically looked at all the major usa retailers and Etailers.  Best Buy, Amazon, BH, Newegg, Adorama etc

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I'm not seeing MSRP versions sitting on shelves anywhere.

Additionally I saw a performance chart with the average fps significantly higher with the 4080 compared to the 7900xtx.  I presume frame gen was enabled so it's no good in VR.  The test was 4k ultra in MSFS.

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

21 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

When I bought mine I couldn't find any on release day and then last week when I actually bought it there were only 1 or 2 options for regular price at all the popular sites.  And they sold out in a few hours.

If I was in your position I would have made the exact same purchase, as my good friend did too. 

I succumbed to the highway robbery gcard MSRP prices of last year when I bought my 3080 ti to retire my 5 YO 1070, and in comparison to that purchase you got a decent deal.  One consolation is that I sold that 1070 for $270, which yet is another example of the crazy times we've all been through. 

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

56 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

If I was in your position I would have made the exact same purchase, as my good friend did too. 

I succumbed to the highway robbery gcard MSRP prices of last year when I bought my 3080 ti to retire my 5 YO 1070, and in comparison to that purchase you got a decent deal.  One consolation is that I sold that 1070 for $270, which yet is another example of the crazy times we've all been through. 

Yeah I think a lot of the angst comes from people with a 3080 or 2080 and feeling resentful about the pricing for not a huge jump in performance.  I mean don't get me wrong, the price I paid for the 4080 was a bit high.  However with the cost of everything else in our lives increasing, I don't think the prices are totally crazy.  (Maybe a little haha)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Except the 4090 doesnt fit intp a standard case with a standard power supply.   Not to mention a standard Mother Board with only a 2 slot GPU,

The 4090 fails marketing 101 IMO.

ap

Edited by Sky_Pilot071