Sign in to follow this  
Guest AJ

Problem installing SP1

Guest AJ

I currently have FSX installed on my E hard drive (FSX offers this option out of the box). However, when I run the SP1 installer it wants to install on my C drive, and offers no option that I can find for instalation that are on other drives. Am I missing something here? I also found it rather odd that the SP did not come with a read me, or any instructions. Did anyone else notice this?Thanks for the input,Andrew

Guest AJ

By the way, what is the version number of FSX after the update is installed?

>I currently have FSX installed on my E hard drive (FSX offers>this option out of the box). However, when I run the SP1>installer it wants to install on my C drive, and offers no>option that I can find for instalation that are on other>drives. Am I missing something here? When you doubleclick on the fsx_sp1_ENU.exe file, it will first "unpack" itself to somewhere on your C: drive in a temp folder.After doing so, it should then detect where you have FSX installed, and/or allow you to "Browse" to the correct folder if needed.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Are you sure it wants to _install_ to C drive, or unpack itself there? You must have 1.5Gb available on your boot drive for unpacking or SP1 won't run (actually it starts, and creates some files fsx_dlx_enu_sp1.msp fsx_std_enu_sp1.msp, res.dll and setup.exe and then starts setup, which is the one that wants 1.5Gb free). I have no idea why MS would do this. I tried moving my %temp% to another drive, but that didn't work.scott s..

Guest AJ

>>I currently have FSX installed on my E hard drive (FSX>offers>>this option out of the box). However, when I run the SP1>>installer it wants to install on my C drive, and offers no>>option that I can find for instalation that are on other>>drives. Am I missing something here? >>When you doubleclick on the fsx_sp1_ENU.exe file, it will>first "unpack" itself to somewhere on your C: drive in a temp>folder.>>After doing so, it should then detect where you have FSX>installed, and/or allow you to "Browse" to the correct folder>if needed.>Well, it definitely unpacks on the C drive, but I never got any option to browse. After double clicking the .exe file it there was no opportunity for input until it finished. There was no pause after it unpacked. Afterwards, I found a new FSX file tree on my C drive where there was none before, though obviously the FSX program was missing since it resides on my E drive. DOn't know what to make of it.

Guest AJ

Moreover, I get a message that SP1 was succesfully installed, and yet I do not believe that it was. As I said, there is now a brand new file tree under Program Files on my C drive where there was one before, and where FSX was not installed. Please help.

what is the version number when you run FSX?what is the name of, and what are the contents of, the new file tree?

Guest AJ

>what is the version number when you run FSX?>>what is the name of, and what are the contents of, the new>file tree?Thanks for trying to help. After trying to run the installer for a 3rd time, this time it seems to have taken. FSX shows SP1 in the version number and the file tree on C has mysteriously disappeared. I don't understand it, but it works now, so I guess I will not complain. As someone once said, "to err is human - to really screw up requires a computer."Thanks for your time,Andrew