Sign in to follow this  
Saithai

Virus on P3Dv4 Addon Organiser

There is a virus, possibly ransomware, on the P3D4 Addon Organiser.

I have tried to download the file several times over the past few days and on each occasion Windows Defender has flagged it as 'Severe'.

I have suggested that it might be Ransomware because my computer was recently infected with a Ransomware virus at approximately the same time that I first downloaded and installed P4AO.

Mike

6 hours ago, Saithai said:

There is a virus, possibly ransomware, on the P3D4 Addon Organiser.

I have tried to download the file several times over the past few days and on each occasion Windows Defender has flagged it as 'Severe'.

I have suggested that it might be Ransomware because my computer was recently infected with a Ransomware virus at approximately the same time that I first downloaded and installed P4AO.

Mike

Please take note of the red text at the top of the downloads page. All files come from a protected system and have been scanned for viruses when uploaded. Plus, the ZIP file is encrypted, so even if there was a virus in it, Defender would not be able to see it. What is being blocked is the download link itself, because somebody reported it as malicious. Or you are downloading it from somewhere else, which would not be wise. The lorby-si website is the only place where this app is officially available.

To be honest, I am getting tired of this game. End of the year all freeware downloads will be removed, so whoever is doing this got what they wanted. I give up, you win.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

OK, just for completeness sakes.

1. I've downloaded "addonorganizer_1_56_b11.zip" from the lorby-si website just now with Microsoft Edge -> not blocked, I can download it without any interference.
  2. I told Norton Security Premium to scan the ZIP file -> nothing to report. 
  3. I used WinMD5 to check the MD5 code that is visible on the website -> it is the same file that has been uploaded months ago.
Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Defender is the virus in this case. 

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I would suggest to the OP that he listen to the developer who has been a very active and productive member of the flightsim community (much appreciated, Lorby) and download the file 

Have the folder/file excluded from Defender (or whichever anti-virus programme) and install the app. It would be unfortunate not to use such a useful piece of software because of overzealous behaviour of Defender or any other antivirus for that matter.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.