Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

DX11 vs DX12

As others say, DX11 slightly higher frame rate when unlocked, but it doesn't bother me as I lock at 60fps. 

DX12 did seem smoother and frames were still above my lock at 60fps, but as others have reported, even on the latest beta and latest Nvidia drivers, I still get ground texture issues at about half of the airports - I had them just yesterday when trying DX12 again.  The same airports in DX11 are fine. 

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

5 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

As others say, DX11 slightly higher frame rate when unlocked, but it doesn't bother me as I lock at 60fps. 

DX12 did seem smoother and frames were still above my lock at 60fps, but as others have reported, even on the latest beta and latest Nvidia drivers, I still get ground texture issues at about half of the airports - I had them just yesterday when trying DX12 again.  The same airports in DX11 are fine. 

Are those default airports or addon? I heard people reporting they have that issue only with default airports, that's probably why I'm not seeing those ground textures issues then, since I've been flying in addon airports only.

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I see it on both default and addon airports and only in DX12. And it does not matter which driver I install, also with the newest one I get the bug. What I observe is that the issue never occurs right after firing up MSFS, but only after some minutes. Monitoring my VRAM suggests that it also not at all related to an overfull VRAM, as I am nowhere near my 16GB limit when the issue appears...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

Are those default airports or addon? I heard people reporting they have that issue only with default airports, that's probably why I'm not seeing those ground textures issues then, since I've been flying in addon airports only.

In my case it has been just default, which is the same as your experience. 
I don't have many add-on airports, but for one example, I do a little test flight from Big Bear (excellent add-on from fs.to) to San Bernardino (default).
I have never seen an issue at Big Bear, but about half the time I see missing textures at San Bernardino.  If I pick the fix from developer mode, it does cure them for that session.

Big Bear was updated recently, so for add-on airports, maybe it depends on the version of the SDK they use to stop this happening in DX12, as I see a lot of scenery developers mentioning recompiling to the latest SDK in their release notes.  It is the only issue I have with DX12 at the moment, so I hope they can fix it. 
They are still to optimise DX12 also, which should bring more performance benefits in future, as well as quality.
Some similar titles (like train sim) saw 25-30% performance benefits in DX12 mode.  Not the same code of course, but just an example.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

48 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

If I pick the fix from developer mode, it does cure them for that session

Can you elaborate this fix quickly? If this works, it would be an acceptable workaround for me until DX12 is fixed...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

27 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Can you elaborate this fix quickly? If this works, it would be an acceptable workaround for me until DX12 is fixed...

Hi,

And where's that fix?

Regards

38 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Yes of course.  I found the answer in one of these threads actually, but they move so fast!

If you activate developer mode, when you see the textures problem, go up to the menus, and on one of the dropdowns, select airport - debug.  
It repairs the textures perfectly and instantly, but you may need to do it again in the next session.

See also, this thread.

The issue is, if you like using your logbook as a record, developer mode may not record the flight in the logbook.

I have the latest beta to test tonight, as Asobo were aware of this issue, and the thread looks like it has been deleted on the official site, meaning they may think they have fixed it along with the snow coverage bug on roads and runways (which is fixed apparently).

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeyOnTheFlightDeck said:

As a 4090 owner any advice on which one I should be using? I have a 5900x CPU. I have experienced stuttering on DX12 but not sure if that’s a broader issue or not

I have a now lowly 9900K/3080Ti and I have no stuttering just fluid smooth animation and that is using DX12.  I am going to try DX11 in a few minutes again because of the heinous GPU error which occasionally manifests and shuts down MSFS.  With your system you should be experiencing nothing but ultra smooth, stutter-free animation regardless if it's DX12 or DX11.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

8 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I think as a 4090 owner, you have the luxury of doubling your FPS

As the owner of a Samsung 4KTV I have the Luxury of doubling my FPS too. 🤣

And I can do it with DX11😁

Edited by FBW737
  • Like 2

As a 4090 owner any advice on which one I should be using? I have a 5900x CPU. I have experienced stuttering on DX12 but not sure if that’s a broader issue or not

If you have a 4090 you should 100% be running DX12 with frame generation.

13600K @ 5.6 | Gigabyte Windforce 4090 | LG C2 42"

What monitor ?
Gsync ?
VRR ?
Freesync ?

For example running FS2020 with 50 FPS will stutter on a 60HZ TV or Monitor with a fixed refresh rate.
Frame drops etc.
No 4090 will fix this behavior

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

I get ground texture issues and stuttering at some ad-on airports with DX12 so I'm still at DX11

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I have a 6900XT and DX12 is a superior experience in every way especially on the ground. The FPS are generally higher for me and it's as smooth as silk, it really is. However is has one problem which is preventing me using it and that is that airport ground textures randomly disappear as does some of the airport ground display on my GTN750. It's the only issue I have with it. If they can resolve this I will be straight on DX12

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

55 minutes ago, Jazz said:

I have a 6900XT and DX12 is a superior experience in every way especially on the ground. The FPS are generally higher for me and it's as smooth as silk, it really is. However is has one problem which is preventing me using it and that is that airport ground textures randomly disappear as does some of the airport ground display on my GTN750. It's the only issue I have with it. If they can resolve this I will be straight on DX12

same card same story