Sign in to follow this  
Swe_Richard

Dwarf Fortress!

I suspect this is very niche in here, but you never know!

Am I the only one in here getting this today? Man, I've been waiting since forever for this to happen. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

?

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

7 minutes ago, charliearon said:

?

Dwarf Fortress - Wikipedia

It's a game. It started out as a project between two brothers in the beginnings of the 00's. Many have wanted it to be released to Steam and a loong time ago there were murmurs about it actually happening. Then it got confirmed with a release date stating, 'time is subjective'. Not that long ago they dropped the release date: 6th of december. Only a couple of hours left. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Just got Stray last night, after family members harassed the heck out of me for not having it yet, especially considering to my known affection fur kats.

Probably will be absorbed by that for a while.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

38 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Just got Stray last night, after family members harassed the heck out of me for not having it yet, especially considering to my known affection fur kats.

Probably will be absorbed by that for a while.

I've been eyeing that one as well. The kids saw a short trailer and went into total overdrive.. 😃

Richard

22 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

've been eyeing that one as well. The kids saw a short trailer and went into total overdrive.. 😃

On sale right now for $23.00

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

On sale right now for $23.00

Oh! Thanks for telling me!

Richard

3 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Dwarf Fortress - Wikipedia

It's a game. It started out as a project between two brothers in the beginnings of the 00's. Many have wanted it to be released to Steam and a loong time ago there were murmurs about it actually happening. Then it got confirmed with a release date stating, 'time is subjective'. Not that long ago they dropped the release date: 6th of december. Only a couple of hours left. 

Very cool.  Like Angband.  Except maybe a little Civ thrown in.  Text-based Civ in a fantasy setting?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

37 minutes ago, Mace said:

Very cool.  Like Angband.  Except maybe a little Civ thrown in.  Text-based Civ in a fantasy setting?

Classic Dwarf Fortress is ASCII-based just as Angband/NetHack. For the Steam release they have beefed up the graphics with tile sets. DF has an adventure mode (which I have never tried) making it more like the afore mentioned dungeon crawlers. It is more of a sort of 'village builder'. If you have played Rimworld (which is very much inspired by DF) you get the picture. However DF is a lot more than Rimworld to be hones. 

It is incredibly deep. Almost to the point of insanity. Procedurally generated worlds with dito creatures, lore, poetry, countries, wars, heroes and villains in a fantasy settings with goblins and elves and dwarves and evil wizards and probably hundreds of more things I've missed. 

Richard

DF was an insta-buy for me. I wanted to support the authors. Also, I'm excited to have a version that isn't ugly.

I've played it on and off for years and only have scratched the surface (hehe). 

DF is maybe the most enigmatic game ever.

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

12 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

I've played it on and off for years and only have scratched the surface (hehe). 

DF is maybe the most enigmatic game ever.

Haha.. that describes my career as head dwarf to the letter.. 😉

Yes, it is a masterpiece of a game, and as for you an instabuy to support the guys making it. 

Richard

1 minute ago, DD_Arthur said:

Do you think it has historical weather?

I originally surmised it might be a magical hideout for the vertically challenged.....

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

6 hours ago, charliearon said:

?

It's in the Subject header...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I thought that was a joke taken from the movie "The War Lover" with Steve Mcqueen. When an English lass remarks about the small stature of his belly gunner Buzz, (Mcqueen), quips "oh, he flies one of our smaller Fortresses".

Vic green