Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmilton

FSX addon software security

Guest dwaohio

I purchased Cargo pilot from Justflight. I download the programs no problem. I try to install the programs and that is where the problem started. The program ask me for two different code I entered them and got an error. I tried several times turning off all the background anti-virus software and firewall. I email them and since they are in England I did not hear from them to the next day. I got an email stating we for got to tell you to take out the spaces from the code which was not in the instructions. I tried this and it did not work and I email them again and they ask me for more information. In the first email I gave them all the vital information including codes. By the time I was able to return the information they were close in England. Now day two I still can not use the software. I know there are a lot pirates out there but has security gone to far. Do you guys think security has gone to far and causing the honest consumer to much hardship. What do you guys think should be done for software security? With Vista security and software security and sometimes they see each other problem.

Guest jshyluk

For me, I figure there's pretty much one way to set things up so that no software developer puts security on their product. Everyone who has a computer should stop stealing stuff that isn't theirs to begin with, and promise not to create and/or use malicious code that could harm another person's computer. Although security systems can definitely be maddening for the honest user, or at least users who are trying to be honest, I think it's the pirates who have gone too far. The developer puts a lot of time, effort, and other costs into their product, and it's just sad when some Internet Blackbeard-wannabe decides to exploit that labour for their own greed. It's come to the point where the developer feels they have the right to use anti-piracy measures on their software, and the user, well, they have the right to buy the product or not.As far as JustFlight is concerned, I've suffered from the time-zone difference as well, but their customer service people are quite patient and understanding, and I would be surprised if they can't help you with your issue.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Yep I agree 100% Jeff. It always seems to be that way, and we must support these companies if we want quality products. It is what it is, I can completely understand why security is absolutely necessary for developers. Usually the software from Justflight installs without any problem, at least for me in the past. Try entering the code in different ways or cut and paste the code if possible. Hope you get it working soon.

"Do you guys think security has gone to far and causing the honest consumer to much hardship"No. Software can't distinguish between honest and dishonest customers. It's because of dishonest customers that it's become necessary to introduce this level of security.

Excuse me guys. It is nice to see loyal and honest people support their vendors. However, that is like saying it is ok for the TSA to strip search everyone because one of us might have a hidden bomb. There is a fine line between protecting your company

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Some of the developers are a tad paranoid. Thinking their stuff is stolen a zillion times. Bet they could have problems trying to prove it was stolen once.

There is an old rule in retail sales. For every unit stolen you must sell 3 more of the same unit to break even. The impact of theft in any market can never be underestimated. It's worse in a small retail pool where every item stolen means another sale that will never happen. Stuff doesn't have to be stolen a zillion times for the dammage to be done.

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

Guest jmarcure

Sorry. I forgot to include the quoteed text.

Guest jmarcure

>There is an old rule in retail sales. For every unit stolen>you must sell 3 more of the same unit to break even. The>impact of theft in any market can never be underestimated.>It's worse in a small retail pool where every item stolen>means another sale that will never happen. Stuff doesn't have>to be stolen a zillion times for the dammage to be done.Hi,How so?I can see how this

No, it's a little more work from the developer, publisher and consumer but if it prevents illegal copies and keeps costs down then I'm all for it.Sure, there are a few problems here and there but the blame for all this should be directed at the lazy, inconsiderate sods who've decided to steal rather than pay for the product. It's not food or forumula but software that runs on an expensive piece of hardware, and if you can afford the hardware then there shouldn't be any reason to steal the software.Yes there can be arguments about overpricing of some software but that can be applied to many consumer products and doesn't mean someone should steal to get them. There is a simple reason why I don't own a lamborghini or a ferrari, I can't afford it and I refuse to steal one on principal.As far as strip searches by the TSA, well, the next best thing is the body scan and I'm all for it. Better to walk through that than to decompress at 35,000 feet in the air from an explosion in my opinion.Interesting discussion though, maybe eye scans or dna analysis via a thumb scan would be a better way to do it.Ian.

Guest tmilton

I know it can be an inconvenience, but it's a necessary inconvenience. A lot of those who illegally pilfer software don't realize the damage they are doing to the developers. Or maybe they know but simply don't care. If these security measures can prevent even a percentage of software theft, then it is certainly justified. Just think of the lost revenue that the developers suffer, extra funds that could have yielded the possibility of greater resources which they could have used to improve the product, better quality assurance.Think of it this way as one example: if ACES could somehow stop piracy of their products, they could double their development team, maybe even triple it. With more members employed, more bugs could be worked out, with improved features, and a more polished product could have been released to us, and with a shorter development time period. Everybody benefits, especially the end user.