Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

MSFS Marketplace/Steam purchase turned into a mess

I decided to buy the Honda Jet through the Marketplace. Because I have the Steam version, it redirected me to steam for the add-on purchase. I added funds to my wallet first, then applied them to buy the add-on. I got an error when it redirected me back to the sim to do the download. I went back to Steam to try again. It had no funds in my wallet, so I did it again. The second time it worked. It turns out something went wrong with MSFS Marketplace, and I got charged twice for the purchase. So I contact Steam. They tell me that they can see that both wallet amounts were used. I try to purchase another add-on in the Marketplace, but I have no wallet funds. So somehow the MSFS Marketplace took two transactions for the same add-on. Steam support tells me I need to contact MS because the funds were used. The MS support sight directs me to contact Steam to resolve the issue. 

I really don't want to use the marketplace anymore, because it appears that when something goes wrong, nobody knows how to fix it. 

Ugh.  

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

11 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

I always buy things from developer site, never even been visiting Marketplace

You should consider it for some of the ad-ons to help support Asobo and by extension, the longevity of the sim.

• Like 8

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Exactly the same thing happened to me with the Vision Jet yesterday. Steam say it's nothing to do with them and they won't issue a refund. It's now in the hands of PayPal but I'm not expecting them to sort it out either. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Well here’s a turn up, I had exactly the same thing happen to me when the Honda Jet came out!

I still haven’t followed up claiming a refund with MS after Steam said it’s nothing to do with them. If any of you know how to do this please advise.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

I had the exact same thing happen last Friday trying to purchase the Vision Jet through the Marketplace. Steam took my payment, but Marketplace never gave me the Vision Jet to download. I have contacted MS Support and filled out a request to either get me my aircraft or give me a refund. I have not heard anything back as of today. This will likely be my last purchase through Marketplace, if I can't purchase directly from the developer then it will be a no purchase decision, so frustrating. 

Touch wood I've had no issues with the Marketplace as of yet (using Steam version).

Hopefully just a coincidence it seems to all be the same developer? 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

3 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

Hopefully just a coincidence it seems to all be the same developer? 

That will just be a coincidence - As when you buy stuff through the marketplace thats via Microsoft or in this case Steam > Microsoft. 

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

I had a similar problem a few weeks back and the Steam wallet funds were utilized, Steam charged my credit card, but the transaction through the Market Place failed so I didn't have the airport I was trying to purchase. 

I did contact Microsoft Flight Simulator Support and explained the situation. It took a couple of days, but they got back to me with detailed instructions of how to properly request the refund through Steam (I think it actually goes via MSFS Support to Steam and from Steam to me). Again, another few days and Steam then did the refund and sent me an email. I think about 4 days total for the refund, from initial email to finish. I have purchased a lot through Steam over the years, so maybe that factored into their willingness to issue the refund?

So, for those that haven't done so yet, you should get your refund. If you don't bother, you have allowed them to steal your money because of technical issues that should have been sorted quite some time ago. It's a shame because I want to use the Market Place, I like the organization of my addons done that way and it worked in the past, but I won't go that route anymore. Too much uncertainty and hassle.   

I don't use Steam due to issues in the distant past.  The MP at least has the appearance of live bodies to resolve issues.  You can't ask for much more these days.

I use MP because I like to have all my MSFS purchases in one place.

sp

Sorry to hear I am not the only one. I have never had problems buying from Steam. This was the second purchase I made via the marketplace. I am going to avoid it now, and that is a shame. I wanted to make sure MS / Asobo got credit for the sale. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I’ve had terrible luck with marketplace purchases as of late.  My last three resulted in being charged by steam (only once) but not receiving my download initially and getting a “purchase failed” message.  In all three cases MSFS support was able to manually give me the item I bought.  They also gave me some suggestions:

“To prevent this issue from happening again, we don't recommend using PayPal as the payment method. If you need to use PayPal, add funds to the Steam Wallet 24 hours prior to purchasing from the Marketplace to ensure that the transaction is processed by PayPal and Steam at the time of purchase. 

If you're paying with a bank card

Close Microsoft Flight Simulator

Add Funds to your Steam Wallet with the payment method of your choice

Wait a few minutes, then launch Microsoft Flight Simulator

Go to the Marketplace, and purchase your content with the Wallet Balance
Alternatively, you can purchase DLCs directly from 3rd party platforms such as Aerosoft or SimMarket. If you do, the packages must be installed in the Community folder.”

The suggestion to buy from other stores kind of cracked me up lol.  It’s also the advice I follow most often.  I guess they’re not that desperate for marketplace royalties.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Zero issues here with the Steam account. There is an authorize button on the Steam transaction page that you have to hit, and it ought to work after that.

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

25 minutes ago, FrankR409 said:

Zero issues here with the Steam account. There is an authorize button on the Steam transaction page that you have to hit, and it ought to work after that.

Did that. Did not work. Got the purchase failed message as mentioned above.