Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

MSFS Marketplace/Steam purchase turned into a mess

21 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Did that. Did not work. Got the purchase failed message as mentioned above.  

What the heck! I just bought the scenery pack around Newark a moment ago, same process, and no issues.  Maybe your credit card provider will give you relief if you challenge it as a double charge.

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

Using a credit card online when Paypal is available is to my thinking not very safe. Paypal resolves issues by chat and by phone. They have never let me down. Paypal may lose a little money if they refund, but they gain it all back and more by building trust in the system for your future purchases. Paypal's interest is to be on the buyer's side not the seller. 

When I buy from the MSFS marketplace I am never on the Steam site at any point during  the purchase process. It's all done in the marketplace section of MSFS. Including the side trip to Paypal. MSFS just checks with Steam in the background, out of my sight.

Paying by check or money order is ridiculously slow, they're vehicles from the past century. And paying online by credit card is dangerous.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

19 hours ago, Krakin said:

You should consider it for some of the ad-ons to help support Asobo and by extension, the longevity of the sim.

prefer to support small developers instead huge corporation

• Upvote 1

Artur 

Just to update that this AM the MS Support desk got my issue sorted out and I now have rec'd my Vision Jet download. It's an awesome day after all my whining and now off to burn some Jet-A, stay safe all 😎

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Beardyman said:

prefer to support small developers instead huge corporation

Buying on the marketplace supports both. Yes, the small dev gets 70% but they are also getting a lot more exposure to potential buyers. Besides, what good is to the small vendor if the platform ends up dying? Some devs only sell on the marketplace anyway. Maybe one of them is selling something you'd like.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I never wanted to put a 3rd party between my PC and the sim, i.e. using Steam since MS already has a totally effective and reliable installer, and the same goes for the Marketplace purchases.  I value having it all under one roof.  It is so cool to launch and then note if there are any updates pending for ALL software install by this native system.  Since launch I've purchased everything possible thru the Marketplace and of course MSFS direct from the Store. I have done an initial install, and two complete reinstalls of everything and have never had a problem with any of it.  I think despite what Steam does well you are adding a level of complexity and with that comes some increased risk of problems.  100% satisfied MS direct customer here.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I had the same issue when buying the Vision Jet on release day.

Purchased using my Steam wallet and I was charged but had an error in the Marketplace store that the transaction failed.

I made a Zendesk request expecting to wait atleast a week, logged in the sim the next day and the Vision Jet purchase finally went through.

Marketplace purchases through this method are a gamble, eventually you'll get your product either when Zendesk staff help you or the Marketplace store finally decides to work.

Who want's to have their money immediately taken but not have immediate access to the product?

Never again and even though it's not the developer's fault for Marketplace's technical issues, from this point forward I will no longer support developers who do Marketplace only/timed exclusives.

Your issues with piracy aren't the consumer's problem, but having to wait 72 hours to a week to finally access a product I was immediately charged for is.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 12/7/2022 at 3:51 PM, Fielder said:

Using a credit card online when Paypal is available is to my thinking not very safe. Paypal resolves issues by chat and by phone. They have never let me down. Paypal may lose a little money if they refund, but they gain it all back and more by building trust in the system for your future purchases. Paypal's interest is to be on the buyer's side not the seller. 

When I buy from the MSFS marketplace I am never on the Steam site at any point during  the purchase process. It's all done in the marketplace section of MSFS. Including the side trip to Paypal. MSFS just checks with Steam in the background, out of my sight.

Paying by check or money order is ridiculously slow, they're vehicles from the past century. And paying online by credit card is dangerous.

PayPal is dangerous too. Make sure you have MFA turned on utilising an app. My mate had MFA turned on using SMS message and still got hacked. PayPal hacks have been on the rise recently.

I prefer to buy through the marketplace so that I know when there’s an update available and I can reinstall stuff easily. I don’t really want to have an orbx updater, an aerosoft updater, and a bunch of random website logins for one thing on each. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 7:05 PM, RobJC said:

Steam support tells me I need to contact MS because the funds were used. The MS support sight directs me to contact Steam to resolve the issue. 

Your contract is with Steam since that is how you initiated the purchase procedure. Anything that went wrong afterwards is for Steam and Microsoft to sort out between them.

If you don’t get a satisfactory resolution report the matter to your credit card company requesting a refund. You clearly wouldn’t benefit from buying the same aircraft twice.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guys how do we/I request a refund from MSFS - anyone got a link pls?

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

15 hours ago, Noel said:

since MS already has a totally effective and reliable installer

Seriously?

Effective and reliable "is installing and updating in one go".
There is no such thing when updating MSFS when bought through the MS store. Depending on the type of the update, it can run entirely through the game launcher (for small updates), partitionally through the game launcher and the rest through the MS Store (why not in one go from the within the launcher without switching to something else (it's late 2022, not late 1980 they should be able to do that right now !!!) or through the Xbox App for gods sake. I already had 2 occasions where the launcher told me continue the update through the Store but then the Store showed all was installed to the latest version which clearly was not the case since the launcher wouldn't continue loading and referred to the Store again and again.
Updating process used to install and download the same file over and over again... reliable and effective?

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Your contract is with Steam since that is how you initiated the purchase procedure. Anything that went wrong afterwards is for Steam and Microsoft to sort out between them.

If you don’t get a satisfactory resolution report the matter to your credit card company requesting a refund. You clearly wouldn’t benefit from buying the same aircraft twice.

Hi Ray, the problem is to buy the plane in MSFS i had to do it through steam, but there i just added credits that MSFS redeemed. It was a two step process. From steam’s perspective i bought credits twice and redeemed them in MSFS twice. They have no idea how i used them. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

3 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Seriously?

Effective and reliable "is installing and updating in one go".
There is no such thing when updating MSFS when bought through the MS store. Depending on the type of the update, it can run entirely through the game launcher (for small updates), partitionally through the game launcher and the rest through the MS Store (why not in one go from the within the launcher without switching to something else (it's late 2022, not late 1980 they should be able to do that right now !!!) or through the Xbox App for gods sake. I already had 2 occasions where the launcher told me continue the update through the Store but then the Store showed all was installed to the latest version which clearly was not the case since the launcher wouldn't continue loading and referred to the Store again and again.
Updating process used to install and download the same file over and over again... reliable and effective?

1000% dead serious it's been FLAWLESS now since launch.  Unbelievably automated and effective, every single time.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

15 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Hi Ray, the problem is to buy the plane in MSFS i had to do it through steam, but there i just added credits that MSFS redeemed. It was a two step process. From steam’s perspective i bought credits twice and redeemed them in MSFS twice. They have no idea how i used them. 

It still sounds like your contract is with Steam but I accept it’s complicated.

If you can provide evidence to Microsoft - a receipt showing the same product purchased twice - then they should refund your Steam account if that’s how things work. If they can take money from that account then there should be a procedure to issue a refund.

Ask them why you would buy the same product twice unless you had made a mistake or there was a glitch in the process. I’ve done the same with Flightbeam and they willingly refunded my credit card, not a credit note.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather