Sign in to follow this  
cat

Will FSX run optimally with this build offered by Dell?

Guest lflinares

The best Dell computer out there is priced for just over $7K. Would this build make FSX run smoothly with all sliders maxed out? Just curious...- XPS 720 H2C Intel

Guest Sinnerman49

Luis -You have a message.In my opinion? No. Dell computers are bloated and not tuned.

Guest firehawk44

I have a similar system - the XPS 710 H2C factory overclocked to 3.46 GHz. Although I get outstanding graphics and FPS, I cannot max out ALL of my sliders. I do not think there is any current commercial system that can run FSX with all sliders maxed out and maintain good FPS to make the game enjoyable. Best regards,Jim

Guest Redvan

it's a dell, probably wont run anything... and if it does, probably not for long...all that to say, never know until you try! Willing to shell out 7k for a test run? IMHO no computer is worth that much, especially not a dell...

Its Dell...........Why pay $7000 for something you can do yourself (or have built for you) for about 50% less??You certainly don't need twin 8800 ultras and the Phys X card is a waste of time as nothing really supports it.Don't do it.

Guest YukonPete

Well My bloated and not tuned DELL runs FSX very well! My FSX settings are high and I never drop below 30FPS in the Lvl-D 767 flying into LAX etc...

DELL = bloated and expensiveRead reviews on equipment that include FSX in their tests.Then just build that computer.

Guest CharlesHM

To each is own, I say, I have a Dell the 710 and it works just great, I have similar problems as desribed above. Some people like HP computers, while others don't. Matter of taste. I like my Dell very much. I admire those who can build there own, I just don't have the knowledge or the skills to do that. Maybe later on in the year, I up grade my system to that of a 710H20. This is just my personal opinion only.Charles Huckelbery

That's major overkill.Check out: www.ibuypower.com www.velocitymicro.com www.cyberpower.comA few sites... Choose some good hardware and get it all from them. You could get a very good computer for around 2 or 3 grand. 7 g's isn't worth it.

Case ( [New !!!] Nzxt Lexa Blackline Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )Case Lighting ( Cold Cathode Neon Light Blue )Power Supply ( 1000 Watt -- NZXT PRC-1000 Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6850 (2x 3.0GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )Processor Cooling ( [New !!!] iBUYPOWER Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit --- [for INTEL CPU] )Motherboard ( [New !!!] Asus Striker Extreme nForce

Guest lflinares

Thanks for the responses! I definitely do not plan on making a big investment, only to be disappointed.LuisKMIA

Uh, $7k for a Dell? It better comes with a 50" plasma display.You can build your own for about half the prize.Dual 8800 is overkill and a waste of money IMHO. I am not even aware of any game w/SLI configuration that takes full advantage of 2 GPUs. FSX doesn't and it's in the stars how FSX will run with all the upcoming DX10 magic.Pat

Luis, you might be interested in some head to head comparisons betweenthe Dell H2C and some self-built rigs over at Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/20/ove...marathon_day_4/Even though they didn't use FSX as a bench, look at the cost vs. performance comparisons at the end of the article and it will undoubtedly confirm what Pat and the others have said.Hope it helps.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

Guest Buck Bolduc

About 70% of the machines that come into my shop are Dells.The one your talking about is much more expensive, to be sure!But darn it all, every Dell, I mean brand new ones have some kind of problem. A bottle neck caused by something mis configured or a component mismatch, like a high end CPU, lots of memory and an old on board graphics setup.Just fixed a 2 year old machine with XP-Home that had never been updated to SP!/SP2. Why? It only had 128mb of system ram. it would run out of memory during the update and have to be re-booted, the lady said.Added 512mb, WOW she said, gets on line fast!!!If you can follow instructions and are at all handy with a screwdriver I highly recommend you go the DIY route. or have a local shop or buddy who has built a machine help you.Many guy's on this forum will help you too.Buck

Computer hardware / software "best configuration (mix)" is one of the toughest challenges prior to purchasing a pc! Initially, not talking money to start off. Just finding out what works best is very tough.It would be nice if, for example, in this case, Microsoft would list the lower, mid and high level component "mix" for MSFSX.In order to do that MS would have to test the hardware and give it the nod (seal of approval). Then you could pick the system you can afford, take the list to a computer store and have the system built.Ask 10 people, 10 different answers.As for Dell ... in my case it is a 8400-3Ghz/2GB/Radeon1650ProPCIe-512mb.It just barely runs MSFS9. Busy airports=9 FPS.It cannot run MSFSX fast enough for a good flight.Sometimes just throwing more money (thinking it cost more so it should be better) at the problem is not the best solution.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW