Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Traffic Lights While Parked

Is it possible to keep the Nav lights on for parked airline traffic? Also, I've noticed that some planes parked at the gate will have their taxi light on (and beacon) while remaining stationary. It'd be neat that whenever an AI plane come to a stop, the taxi light automatically turns off.

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

7 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Is it possible to keep the Nav lights on for parked airline traffic? 

That would technically speaking be possible, but it is not very common in real live, most people will like them to be off. That's what PSXT does.

7 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Also, I've noticed that some planes parked at the gate will have their taxi light on (and beacon) while remaining stationary. It'd be neat that whenever an AI plane come to a stop, the taxi light automatically turns off.

PSXT tries to do that to, but not all models/liveries respond correctly to the SimCconnect commands... There is nothing I can do about; inform the model producers about this.

9 hours ago, kiek said:

but it is not very common in real live

I'm an airline pilot, it's very common. In fact, we always leave the switch on, even when powering down because when a GPU is connected, the ground service bus is powered, and on most airliners, the Nav Lights are powered by the ground service bus for this reason. This prevents ground vehicles from running into wing tips at night, and allows ground personnel know the orientation of the aircraft, in low visibility conditions and at night. There is only one airline that I've seen that turns them off at the gate, and that is Ethiopian for some reason. Every other airline leaves them on while parked at the gate.

B737 Pilot

2 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

I'm an airline pilot, it's very common. In fact, we always leave the switch on, even when powering down because when a GPU is connected, the ground service bus is powered, and on most airliners, the Nav Lights are powered by the ground service bus for this reason. This prevents ground vehicles from running into wing tips at night, and allows ground personnel know the orientation of the aircraft, in low visibility conditions and at night. There is only one airline that I've seen that turns them off at the gate, and that is Ethiopian for some reason. Every other airline leaves them on while parked at the gate.

Interesting, that's new to me.. Is that world wide the case? If so it would be an easy change, although with the too bright lights in some models people may start complaining about all the lights ...

EDIT: or I could make it a boolean parameter NAV_LIGHTS_WHILE_PARKED default true

Edited by kiek

Yeah, it’s worldwide. You could add it as an option in the interface. 

• Like 1

B737 Pilot

1 hour ago, V1ROTA7E said:

You could add it as an option in the interface. 

Done in v33.1.0

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, kiek said:

Done in v33.1.0

Looks good. Just tried it out. I noticed that a lot of the planes also have their Beacon light on as well. That normally only comes on before pushback. Though, they could all be getting ready to push...only loaded in 2 minutes ago.

Side not: Is it possible to get the jetbridge to connect to the planes? not a huge deal, just wondering if it's possible.

B737 Pilot

26 minutes ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Looks good. Just tried it out. I noticed that a lot of the planes also have their Beacon light on as well. That normally only comes on before pushback. Though, they could all be getting ready to push...only loaded in 2 minutes ago.

Side not: Is it possible to get the jetbridge to connect to the planes? not a huge deal, just wondering if it's possible.

I did not see that, static aircraft do not have the beacon light on unless there is a bug in the aircraft model. You probably have seen live aircraft.

Jetways is impossible. PSXT aircraft are not controlled by the MSFS ai engine, they are just moveable objects not ai aircraft. There is no way to connect them to a jetway. 

39 minutes ago, kiek said:

I did not see that, static aircraft do not have the beacon light on unless there is a bug in the aircraft model. You probably have seen live aircraft.

Which sim and which traffic program do you use to test updates? I'm using MSFS with AIG, FSLTL, and IVAO for models.

B737 Pilot

9 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Which sim and which traffic program do you use to test updates?

I'm using P3Dv5 with about 4000 self installed (one-by-one ....over the years) liveries from FAIB and FSPXAI.

The PSXT versions are all the same, so if it works in P3D it should work in MSFS too, but I know that the models/liveries for MSFS are a "pain in the <>" because of the changes MS/Asobo made. These liveries still do something on their own, like switching lights on/off at take-off and landing instead of behaving as dumb externally (not MSFS AI engine) controlled objects.

Edited by kiek
  • Like 1

Exactly. In MSFS, FAIB model dont let their navigation lights on while on gate. Just their tail lights:) Its not as good as P3DV4 in that sense.

Another question, Is it possible to have AI turn on all of their lights (landing lights, strobes, wing lights, etc) when crossing runways while taxiing? We do this to increase visibility for other planes when on an active (or inactive) runway as a safety measure. This again, is something that planes do worldwide.

B737 Pilot

No thats not possible because PSXT has no idea where an aircraft is taxxing (other then lat/lon).

It does not know an aircraft crosses a runway. 

Edited by kiek