Sign in to follow this  
Chalkman

Dornier Do 27 or SF260

Being on a limited budget, I am looking at two aircraft and I just can't decide which one to get. They both look fantastic, and I am sure someone has both could shed some light on which one they enjoy maybe a little more than the other. I realize they are different as far as type of flying that they are best suited to, and I enjoy both bush flying and aerobatic, so this makes the choice even harder.Digital Aviation Dornier Do-27 X, looks quite good, (especially the 'pro' mode) and has a great number of features such as: engine starter can get be damaged, realistic cowl flaps, engine fires, realistic oil consumption. Fantastic! But, I've also read some great things on this forum for the SF260 by Realair. I have the Scout package, and it is truly fantastic. So does one trump the other a little bit? Which one do you fly more often?

I like the SF260 much much better, which I find much more fun to fly. While the Do-27 has lots of features, its a bit boring in the air due to extremely slow roll rate, poor handling, etc. But I guess it depends on how you like to fly. I'm not too much into managing aircraft systems, and more into flying the plane, though I do like the challanges of engine failures and such. I'm pretty much always in my SF260, P-51 or Spitfire, and I've even done some engine modifications on the 260 to give it a little more zip, which I feel makes it a bit more fun and dynamic in what it can do.The downside to the Do-27 is its not a true FSX aircraft, its a FS9 port, so be preapred to see the prop disappear over clouds and trees like all FS9 aircraft do in FSX, and there's no glass relfection, or bump mapping, among other features, which the SF260 has. If you like the RealAir Scout, imagine crossing that with the RealAir Spitfire, and you'd have the SF260.

I like both aircraft very much, but I would probably go with the SF260 if I were in your shoes.. It is really quite excellant in FSX and being a FSX model makes it well worth it!

Same thoughts as the first two replies. I have the FS9 version of the Do-27, and find it an interesting model, as I do other aircraft. But the SF260 has been my long time favorite for both FS2004 & FSX. I like the speed, the looks, and the fantastic view out of the sliding canopy.L.Adamson

Just what I wanted to know. Thanks guys. I plan on buying the SF260 in the very near future.

Guest robpol

These two are my all time favourite aircraft in both FS9 and FSX. I fly both of them very regularly and wouldn't be without either. The Do 27 simply oozes character and suites my bush flying habits, whereas the SF260 has a respectable lick of speed and is a great aircraft for acrobatics and IFR flying.I have all the Real Air aircraft and when the FSX series came along I bought these versions as standalones rather than at the upgrade price, simply because the Flying-to-Price ratio of their products is extremely high.Strangely for me (and this isn't a Real Air problem), the Do27 is the only aircraft in my collection (other than the dafault GA aircraft) that doesn't crash the sim when switching views in SP1.I'd buy the one that most suites your flying style, then when you get the money together again, get the other one! RobP

Well, after buying and flying the SF260, all I can say is wow. All along I was thinking in the back of my head "How good can it be?" It is that good.Thanks for steering me in the right direction.