Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

MSFS is now 10 million players strong

The latest iteration of Microsoft Flight Simulator has reached another major player milestone, with 10 million virtual pilots taking to the skies since its launch. When the simulator launched in August 2020 for PC, it managed to gain over one million players in just two weeks. The popular title has passed the 10 million players mark just over two years later.

The impressive number counts players who have jumped into the sim from the Microsoft Store, Steam, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox Cloud Gaming, as well as Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass subscriptions. Unfortunately, Microsoft did not provide any platform numbers to better get an idea of player distribution in its announcement today.

What it has detailed are some of the accomplishments players have made in the sim since its launch, with 40 billion miles being flown in total across 500 million flights. This amounts to 10 million trips around the Earth, or 200 round trips from the Earth to the Sun.

Microsoft Flight Simulator also holds the title of being Microsoft's longest-running franchise, with version 1.0 first landing in 1982. Celebrating its 40th birthday, a 40th Anniversary Edition free upgrade hit the latest iteration of Flight Simulator just last month, bringing helicopters and gliders into the mix for the first time. Free updates that add further enhanced regions and cities continue to roll out as well.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-is-now-10-million-players-strong/

Microsoft Flight Simulator Celebrates 10 Million Pilots

by Jorg Neumann, Head of Microsoft Flight Simulator Dec 7, 2022 @ 7:00am

Microsoft’s longest-running franchise commemorates community accomplishments.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is thrilled to mark another momentous milestone made possible by our tremendous community. Since the introduction 27 months ago of the latest version of Microsoft Flight Simulator, we have released 27 robust updates to simmers. All completely free!

On November 11, we celebrated our 40th Anniversary with the release of the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition. And, today we are excited to announce that more than 10 million pilots have enjoyed the beauty, awe, and wonder of the world available in Microsoft Flight Simulator across Windows/PC, Xbox Cloud Gaming, and Xbox console.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - 40th Anniversary Edition Screenshot

We would not have reached any of these milestones without the continued support of our amazing community and their ongoing engagement and contributions. Because it’s a day for celebrating numbers, we want to share a few more impressive accomplishments of our community:

• 500 million flights
  • 40 billion miles flown
  • Equivalent of 10 million trips around the Earth
  • Equivalent of 200 round trips from the Earth to the Sun

And we’re just getting started! We have exciting plans for 2023 and beyond. Join the 10 million pilots in Microsoft Flight Simulator today! The sky is calling!

Microsoft Flight Simulator is available for Xbox Series X|S and PC with Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, Windows, and Steam, and on Xbox One and supported mobile phones, tablets, and lower-spec PCs via Xbox Cloud Gaming.

For the latest information on Microsoft Flight Simulator, stay tuned to @MSFSOfficial on Twitter. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/12/07/microsoft-flight-simulator-celebrates-10-million-pilots/

Edited by penta_a
  • Like 25

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Interesting.  I assume it means not 10 million active players, but 10 millions customers since it was released.  Still, money is money 10 million customers!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That is huge. I had no idea there were that many users. 

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I think I am more impressed by the 50 flight average per person. Even though I am sure a million or two have just tested it a few times, it shows that very many come back again and again to enjoy it. Great numbers!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

15 minutes ago, penta_a said:
  • 500 million flights
  • 40 billion miles flown

And that's just me alone. 🙂

• Like 26
  • Upvote 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Gee, we are catching up to XP, I guess. 😉

• Like 31

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

24 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Interesting.  I assume it means not 10 million active players, but 10 millions customers since it was released.  Still, money is money 10 million customers!

10 million unique users is my guess. So including game pass.

• Upvote 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

I do not believe for a second that there are 10,000,000 individuals who have purchased MSFS.  

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

6 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

I do not believe for a second that there are 10,000,000 individuals who have purchased MSFS.  

Remember, it was available through GamePass. I'll bet a large portion of that 10 million are included in that number. 

• Upvote 2

NAX669.png

8 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

Good because they never claimed that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 minute ago, Krakin said:

Good because they never claimed that.

So what do they mean by '10 million players'? 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

2 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

10 million different persons (accounts) have at least tried MSFS in any way. And that’s huge for sure.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

8 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

I guess it means that 10 million people have at least once tried it, many of which are probably game pass subscribers who don‘t pay for it directly. It‘s still an impressive number, especially for a flight sim. 

• Upvote 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

Unique player accounts who have played it whether they paid full price or got access to it through Game Pass.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.