Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

MSFS is now 10 million players strong

7 minutes ago, OverTheEDJ said:

MSFS has been downplayed from a VFR 'sim' to a 'game' targeted for x-box players....so now I guess the new strategy is to downplay the 10 million 'user' milestone (you know..."bots"...and "incomplete installs").

Nope. I'm downplaying the statistics put forth by marketing departments. Bots are a real problem. I'm not claiming they're involved, just allowing for that possibility. And these departments are all too eager to turn a blind eye to things like install failures and call them 'new users', simply to pad egos and market numbers.

The UI is most certainly for xbox on all levels. Wouldn't be surprised if the medium resolution ortho was also an artifact of that requirement. Certainly the flight model is a function of someone demanding backwards compatibility w/ legacy FSX, so that's not forced xbox-assimilation. Though given how that part was designed, yeah, definitely a game.

• Like 2

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

You guys are cracking me up again! No matter what way you slice it, the launch of MSFS is an exceptional success that continues to grow at a healthy positive rate. The realism of the new technology has captivated and solidified the thrill of flight on the home computer for $60!

• Like 16
  • Upvote 4

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

3 minutes ago, Doering said:

You guys are cracking me up again! No matter what way you slice it, the launch of MSFS is an exceptional success that continues to grow at a healthy positive rate. The realism of the new technology has captivated and solidified the thrill of flight on the home computer for $60!

BINGO!🎯

/END THREAD!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I logged in yesterday and saw no more than half a dozen players. The most I have ever seen is maybe 40 players during a livestream.

FYI, you don’t see other players if they are on a different server. This is why for the community flights, they always tell you what server to join.

Also, in previous versions of MSFS, it doesn’t show more than about 50 players around you. I joined some community flights where there was well over 50 players but I think some players weren’t being shown, possibly to keep the FPS high. This was in previous versions of MSFS, not sure about SU11.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Pretty sure SU 11 still has a 50 player limit for multiplayer.

Swapping to another server and back will sometimes "refresh" the aircraft visible to you, but the limit is still 50 AFAIK.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I logged in yesterday and saw no more than half a dozen players. The most I have ever seen is maybe 40 players during a livestream.

Where were the other 10 million ?  By my estimates MSFS has maybe 200 players tops.

This is clearly fake news. We have been robbed.

Glenn!  Glenn!  Glenn!  We do not all leave contrails.......  And once 40?  Was that during an invasion?  Or perhaps Fun & Sun or Airventure? LOL!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Some people will never be happy. Be glad you are not friends with them. Enjoy the sim of your choice. Smoke a stogie, drink some whiskey and let’s celebrate the fact that this level of success has allowed us to see some amazing addons and will continue to power devs into bringing us more. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

4 hours ago, blingthinger said:

Though given how that part was designed, yeah, definitely a game.

So, why don't you as a member of the glorious Elite doing all your complex simulations in the superior engineering tool you love so much spend more time in the appropriate forum?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

14 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

So, why don't you as a member of the glorious Elite doing all your complex simulations in the superior engineering tool you love so much spend more time in the appropriate forum?

10 million unique users can cope with the handful of jealous engineering tool users, I'd say 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Christ can you imagine the hell at EGKA if there was 10,000,000 concurrent users all trying to fly a C152 to Bognor, slideshow city! Fun though

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

11 hours ago, saifs said:

10m, 8m or 9million, does the exact number down to decimals really matter? Let the man have his moment - he's earned it and the entire team at MS +Asobo +WT+ and all who have contributed, including us - the community- should be proud of where we stand today with our hobby, is what I think. 

I agree. All the doubters have basically been proven wrong. I remember posts where people were laughing at Asobo because they are "just a gaming company", and what do they know about "real airplanes". Guess who's laughing now?

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Doering said:

You guys are cracking me up again! 

This is getting ridiculous: bots, failed installs. What's next: accidental installs? Forced by Microsoft to install MSFS?

• Like 6

It is not only installs...

There are e.g. the 500 million flights. Bots dont fly. 50 flights flown on average by every single user of the 10 millions means also, that they visited more than just their house.

Regarding the Xbox game pass: yes, there might be those who became MSFS user just because they were game pass subscriber. But, there are also those, who became game pass subscriber just to try MSFS. I am one of those and I have hinted this possibility to several colleagues who would also have the game pass just because of MSFS.

And there are other sources....

Some time back, Jorg explained that each WU are adding locals to the userbase, that were not there before. After the Japan WU two years back he mentioned that 70000 users came aboard who continue to use the sim regularily.

I also read from Jorg, that the userbase more or less doubled two times: first when xbox was added and second when xbox cloud brought it to low spec devices like IPads and smartphones.

Edited by mrueedi
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2