Sign in to follow this  
ghostminer3

314A gyropilot elevator snappy

i was flying the 314A and the gyropilot elevator is a bit snappy like when i wanted to descend i would have to put the gyropilot to -2% pitch down before it reacts to it and when it reacts it snaps the yoke forward then i would have to put pitch up to .5% before it reacts to climb and it would snap the yoke back and the servo speed was set to 3 like Sperry recommended in the manuals watch this clip that shows the issue https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1674024545 

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about the yoke movement. The script for the yoke control is buried in the mdl file and I have no idea how to fix it. The person that created the mdl has moved on to other projects.

To answer your question on the elevator control: please see the 'PILOT'S Boeing B-314 Manual Part 2 v1.5 - The Simulator' manual p.26 para.2 and  p.29 para.5. To allow for all the slack in the system (hydraulics pressure, cable tension and servo response time) plus the poor accuracy of the gyropilot in general, the gyropilot will not respond to a change request of less than three degrees in any axis.

Not saying it's deliberate 🙂 but autopilots of that period weren't much good for changing attitude or, for that matter, heading.  The aircraft had to be piloted into the correct attitude before engaging the autopilot.

would it be normal to use trim wheel to make small changes with the gyropilot in the 314 if the gryo doesn't react to anything between a -3 or +3 deg change there must have been a way to keep the plane stable 

If you use the trim wheel the gyroscopes in the gyropilot will fight you. You must be trimmed in straight and level hands-off flight before engaging the gyropilot - it will keep the plane stable subject to outside forces e.g. if you get an updraft, the aircraft willl rise but the gyropilot willl restabilise it in level flight at the new altitude. If you get blown off-heading, the gyropilot will resume the heading as soon as it is able. Note: it will resume the heading, not the course. The navigator would calculate the correct heading to get the required course.

Assuming the hydraulics are up to pressure: you dial in a one-degree change request, the gyroscope precesses that one degree change but the servos barely take up the tension in the control cables. Result: no change. Read the section on the gyropilot and then practice with the gyropilot scenario. Sometimes over-demanding a pitch up or pitch down to get the aircraft moving and then dialing back may get you where you want, but it's not guraranteed.

A minimum three degree demand was my choice to model tension, pressure and servo response. In line with this, you will also find that it never settles precisely on the pitch, heading or bank that you have selected.

Edited by dragonflightdesign

ah i see okay sorry about asking these questions i'm just curious as i like to fly real world flight these planes flown and i'm trying to move from the a2a connie gyropilot and idk how realistic that is compared to what you guys have worked so hard to model  

I think the L-1049 had an A-5 gyropilot in it which, in reality, was the first automation that could be classed as an autopilot. The A2/A-3 gyropilots were pneumatic (air-driven) and relied on servo motors driving hydraulics. The A-5 had high-speed vacuum valves (vacuum tubes) driving electric motors; far faster and far more accurate.

i see also just so i don't need to make another post i did just find a texture issue with the hydro tank needles when the lights are on https://prnt.sc/RhyhT_IXluFR the engines numbers show up over the hydro tank needle lettering when lights are on 

Edited by ghostminer3

Thanks for that. I guess at some time I'll be issuing a minor patch.

If you really want frightening, follow this: https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/if-it-can-fly-it-can-float.39479/page-77 Search for a post by JohnBr. That's Lawrence Sperry's first gyropilot.

Edited by dragonflightdesign