1. 1. Which ATC Program are you using?

• Default MSFS ATC
    • FSHud
    • Pilot2ATC
    • PF3
    • PRO-ATC/SR
    • Other

8 hours ago, thepilot said:

In all my years in FS9, FSX, P3D and MSFS I've found that (aside from flying online) there is nothing superior to default ATC, which in itself never really was very good, though (which is of course also a statement about the third party products available...).

In P3D at least there are several tools available that improve the default experience quite a bit. Sadly nothing of the sort is available for MSFS, and it shows. In my opinion ATC and AI handling are the weakest, most unrealistic parts of the simulator and will hopefully be improved upon some day.

To those tuning in to real ATC for "aural immersion", is there any tool that facilitates this?

https://www.stickandrudderstudios.com/fs-atc-chatter-overview/

this is what I use just to add some immersion just to have playing in the background. At the cost it’s great. Can be used when on VATSIM when the skies are quiet

• Like 1

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

8 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

At the very least, an ATC addon needs to 1) integrate seamlessly into the ingame toolbar, 2) provide realistic sounding voices with regional variations. 

What I find annoying is that if you utilise the route generation in the World Map and have the waypoints pop up automatically, they give you the height you should initially climb at then descend at for your destination airport yet the default ATC never uses this function and demands that you stay at say 17,000 feet whilst the pop ups state say 3,000. Do any of the add on ATC respect the sensible climb and descend heights or do they give instructions as daft as the default ATC?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

9 hours ago, MikeH99 said:

I haven't used any ATC except VATSIM. Some robotic voice giving you directions is a huge immersion killer.

Depending on where you fly with vatsim, default sometimes sounds better! Between the corny VHF distortion that some say is supposed to sound realistic and the commonly lackluster I heard it on YouTube phraseology.  🙄

Edited by Dave_YVR

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

3 hours ago, Espana Pete said:

What I find annoying is that if you utilise the route generation in the World Map and have the waypoints pop up automatically, they give you the height you should initially climb at then descend at for your destination airport yet the default ATC never uses this function and demands that you stay at say 17,000 feet whilst the pop ups state say 3,000. Do any of the add on ATC respect the sensible climb and descend heights or do they give instructions as daft as the default ATC?

Pilot2ATC rarely gives me any problems with altitudes. Normally with a STAR it will give a sensible crossing restriction, without a STAR I normally request an "enroute descent" which clears you down to the approach at your discretion. 

Once in a blue moon it throws a fit and messes up altitudes, in which case I do my own thing according to the restrictions in the STAR.

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

For now I'm still OK with default ATC. Its main issues for me are:

- loss of audio/subtitles (seems to happen atter setting frequencies manually or switching to COM2)

- loss of menu functionality (after voice overlap or identical voices being used)

- active runway logic, or lack of it

- altitudes and approaches being assigned at the very last moment

I find altitude assignment usually works OK for me when using a sensible flight plan, the times when it goes wrong is when an approach requires overflying the airport or significant terrain. I suspect ATC cannot handle certain airspaces and restrictions.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?

1 hour ago, Gazzareth said:

Pilot2ATC rarely gives me any problems with altitudes. Normally with a STAR it will give a sensible crossing restriction, without a STAR I normally request an "enroute descent" which clears you down to the approach at your discretion. 

Once in a blue moon it throws a fit and messes up altitudes, in which case I do my own thing according to the restrictions in the STAR.

G

I also use Pilot2ATC and I find it works well and is way better than the awful default ATC, the developer Dave is excellent at providing fixes and is always available if you need help.

• Like 1

i9-11900k@5.1ghz | MSI Rtx3080ti 12gb | 32gb DDR4 Ram 3600mhz | 1Tb M.2 SSD | 4K LG C1 48" TV | Asus Tuf Gaming VG27AQ 27"  | Corsair iCUE H100i  Liquid Cooler |

10 hours ago, MikeH99 said:

None. I haven't used any ATC except VATSIM. Some robotic voice giving you directions is a huge immersion killer.

I wouldn't call the built in ATC robotic, they sound very real to me but I see what you're getting at with reference to some of their punctuation.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Personally I've never seen the point of AI ATC.  I enjoy Vatsim even when there's no controller on, because you're being sequenced with other human beings.  If things are uncontrolled, you coordinate with others to make the sequencing plan yourself, but at least there's some intelligence and communication behind it. AI ATC strikes me as just flying arbitrarily generated headings, altitudes, and routes.  Maybe I haven't seen the right program yet, but... Meh.

• Upvote 2

Andrew Crowley

28 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

AI ATC strikes me as just flying arbitrarily generated headings, altitudes, and routes.  Maybe I haven't seen the right program yet, but... Meh.

Which programs HAVE you seen to deem it arbitrary? 

2 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Personally I've never seen the point of AI ATC.  I enjoy Vatsim even when there's no controller on, because you're being sequenced with other human beings.  If things are uncontrolled, you coordinate with others to make the sequencing plan yourself, but at least there's some intelligence and communication behind it. AI ATC strikes me as just flying arbitrarily generated headings, altitudes, and routes.  Maybe I haven't seen the right program yet, but... Meh.

I use to fly and controll online  a lot but now have two little children. So it is nice to have a pause option when somebody starts crying on final approach during your flighsim evening! 

But I agree online is the best!

Edited by rob0203
  • Like 1

I chose other.

I use my own voice interpreting different persons and genders, even the radio clicks.

8 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Well unlike the default atc they will not direct you into a Mountain.

I have been cleared for an ILS intercept flying at 8000 AGL by Vatsim. 😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

@Espana Pete I find Pilot2ATC does a bang up job with altitudes. Have not had an issue yet. I even downloaded more windows voices (for free) so I can have more variation. They are a bit mechanical but do a great job. My other choice was Pro ATC but I was not impressed by how they moderate their forum nor their track record of bugs that persist through several iterations of the program. (just what I've been reading I don't have first had experience with the program myself)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lotharen said:

@Espana Pete I find Pilot2ATC does a bang up job with altitudes. Have not had an issue yet. I even downloaded more windows voices (for free) so I can have more variation. They are a bit mechanical but do a great job. My other choice was Pro ATC but I was not impressed by how they moderate their forum nor their track record of bugs that persist through several iterations of the program. (just what I've been reading I don't have first had experience with the program myself)

I read those same comments about PRO-ATC then watched a few videos. Two by Q8Pilot, which i think knows what he is doing. He really likes PRO-ATC and says it is better than FSHud, which he also reviewed. Voices are excellent, but you need to limit the choices to eliminate an issue where multiple voices respond to same message. Geared towards airliners, but you can use it with GA but you lose the co-pilot features, i think. 

Another positive is PRO-ATC sees the AI and can even direct them, but it does not inject them like FSHud. If you are using AI and 2 planes are in front of you it will tell you that you are number 3 to takeoff. So that is appealing to me. I like FSLTL and prefer to let it just handle the AI traffic. 

Edited by RobJC
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have been cleared for an ILS intercept flying at 8000 AGL by Vatsim. 😉

The more reason I use Nav charts and do my own vectoring. Can't trust anything these days.

• Like 1