Sign in to follow this  
wan2fly99

Simbrief and Navigraph

11 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

What is it that LNM does that the other two can't?

It has an elevation profile display that can show terrain clearance - handy if flying in or out of mountainous terrain.

It can track aircraft performance via aircraft profiles that you can find on the internet or you can create your own profiles which are then automatically updated as you fly. - potentially useful if you want to try extreme range and/or max payload flights.

I find LNM easier to use when choosing SIDs and STARs since it displays one at a time in a less cluttered view than Navigraph. There are no charts in LNM but the info you need is still available in text form.

LNM can use the sim nav data or Navigraph.

LNM is free to try and is probably the best alternative to Simbrief or Navigaph but the LNM UI is pretty intimidating.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

15 hours ago, cappy42 said:

I use LNM for IFR flight planning as well.  I find it to be the most intuitive of all the flight planning options (and it's free!)  I just export the plan into Simbrief and then upload that into Navigraph.  It's the best of ALL worlds!!

How can export a LNM flightplan into Simbrief?

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

2 hours ago, Claudius_ said:

There is a menu item: File -> Export Flight Plan to SimBrief.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claudius_ said:

There's an option to do that in the File menu - Export Flight Plan to Simbrief - but it's new and may only be present in the beta version of LNM (I'm using beta 2.8.4)

• Like 1

LNM's interface is cluttered and confusing. Not exactly what I would call a modern GUI.

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 4

So Simbrief airac is out of date by almost a year if I dont get the subscription to navigragh

What about MSFS data Asoo do they have it up and current or is it out of data also

22 hours ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Simbrief:

• online flight planner, uses somewhat dated navigation data, free.  Some of this data may not be available within MSFS due to MS's limited nav data.

With a Navigraph subscription, the navdata in Simbrief will be up to date. Navigraph can also keep the navdata in MSFS (as well as addons such as Fenix A320, PMDG 737 etc) up to date. 

itfk20a.jpg

tdSfkgi.jpg

GWx3VnS.jpg

5 hours ago, JSmith2112 said:

LNM is free to try and is probably the best alternative to Simbrief or Navigaph but the LNM UI is pretty intimidating.

That's my biggest gripe with LNM.

5 hours ago, JSmith2112 said:

It has an elevation profile display that can show terrain clearance - handy if flying in or out of mountainous terrain.

Simbrief does this as well:

FwcjOKt.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 hours ago, wan2fly99 said:

So Simbrief airac is out of date by almost a year if I dont get the subscription to navigragh

What about MSFS data Asoo do they have it up and current or is it out of data also

If you don't use navigraph or similar the nav data in most if not all the 3rd party airliners will also be out of date.

Simpler aircraft can use the nav data built into MSFS but more complex planes (Fenix A320, PMDG 737, Leonardo MD-82) need their own copy of the data which means you need a Navigraph subscription or equivalent (or you use the default data supplied with the model)

Edited by Matchstick

11 hours ago, harrry said:

If you have a subscription to Navigraph it uses the latest data you want to.

If you do not have a subscripton to Navigraph it uses the 2103 database free.  

um...? correct, and that is why I said: "... uses somewhat dated navigation data, free" in the first line

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Since I fly primarily in the US, I have been using ForeFlight, a “real world” flight planner used by GA or Commercial pilots. It displays all the data you will ever need, such as SIDS, STARs, approaches, including airport data. It displays weather on map in real time, makes active runways in use available, plus head/tail and cross wing information. It runs on my iPad, works great with touch screen. It has many other useful features, and will display aircraft’s position and motion on flight path if feature activated, and small utility running in sim to transmit position data via Wi-Fi.

Once plan is developed, FP is entered into SimBrief. When inside aircraft, either in monitor or VR mode, I can get Navigraph charts or FP progress following. I usually use iPad when in monitor mode.

The only drawback to ForeFlight is $110 yearly subscription service…..but it’s power and ease of use more than offsets the expense!

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Since I fly primarily in the US, I have been using ForeFlight, a “real world” flight planner used by GA or Commercial pilots. It displays all the data you will ever need, such as SIDS, STARs, approaches, including airport data. It displays weather on map in real time, makes active runways in use available, plus head/tail and cross wing information. It runs on my iPad, works great with touch screen. It has many other useful features, and will display aircraft’s position and motion on flight path if feature activated, and small utility running in sim to transmit position data via Wi-Fi.

Once plan is developed, FP is entered into SimBrief. When inside aircraft, either in monitor or VR mode, I can get Navigraph charts or FP progress following. I usually use iPad when in monitor mode.

The only drawback to ForeFlight is $110 yearly subscription service…..but it’s power and ease of use more than offsets the expense!

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

3 hours ago, wan2fly99 said:

MSFS is updated only on specific overall sim updates.  So it is dated as we do not get MSFS updates that often.  More then that, it is never complete data and is quite eye opening, to me at least, how much is actually left out.  Navigraph actually has an article on this that describes that the MSFS data set is only about 70% complete.  This was the turning point for me in terms of purchasing, that and the navigraph data is uniform for all your apps/planes/planners/ect.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Simbrief does this as well:

I've actually seen that before but completely forgot about it. 😅

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

15 hours ago, Mike S KPDX said:

um...? correct, and that is why I said: "... uses somewhat dated navigation data, free" in the first line

Yes,  I  just thought it may be good to clarify how out of date.   In one year I would guess only about 5% of procedures would change  which is not a great problem to most people considering the nav data in the sim does not get  changed very often.  P3d and x plane can be several years out of date in the sim making fresh simbrief data a bit problematic.  MSFS is generally a bit more up to date than that but for most people I think using the free data will not be a problem.

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

15 hours ago, sbclark said:

Since I fly primarily in the US, I have been using ForeFlight, a “real world” flight planner used by GA or Commercial pilots.

The foreflight data is real time but the data in the sim can be at least a few months more than that as well as leaving out some of the procedures

Harry Woodrow