Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tarasdad

Grumman Goose light issues

Guest Tarasdad

Tonight while flying the FSX Grumman Goose I noticed several problems with the lights.1) The Nav Lights switch also controls the strobe light.2) Because of #1, the strobe light switch has no function.3) There seems to be an extra landing light attached to the tailwheel, which points where the tailwheel points - turn to the right, the light points left, and vice versa. (There is no such light on a Goose, the landing lights are in the wing leading edge with one retractable in the port wing (taxi light?))4) The Taxi Light switch has no function. (Known issue from before SP1?)5) The Rotating Beacon uses a stroboscopic effect instead of...well...rotating. It also shines through the structure and illuminates the cockpit.These issues are annoying, since the Goose happens to be one of my all-time favorite aircraft.

I was flying the Goose yesterday on the aleutian cargo run and noticed:1) The Strobe, Nav, Beacon and Taxi light switches have no effect.2) The Panel switch works.3)Last but not wierdest, the Landing light switch turns on every single light on the aircraft's exterior.I too have noticed that wierd light coming from the tail wheel.:-hmmm :-eek If this is any help, I don't have SP1 installed because it cut my FPS in HALF!!:-grr :-(

Guest t-force1

Sigh. I've noticed this too. Hardly anybody seems to know about this. Perhaps no one flies at night?I've tried looking into fixing it myself, but I can't because whoever did the lights did them in a non-standard way. The only thing I can figure is they did it the way the did it because the nav lights need to move with the wingtip floats when the are down. Not an excuse though. I wish they'd fix it, but the first mention I could find of this is with the beta or demo, so I don't think they'll ever fix it. That's microsquish for ya. Somehow, in their mind, it's a feature. Not a bug.I think the VC tail wheel lock is backwards too.

Guest jshyluk

Just to answer one question: I've flown the FSX Goose around a bit. I like it a lot. But I never once thought of flying it at night, and I couldn't say why. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Hey, speaking of something being backwards, I am the only one who has noticed that the landing light switch on the 737 is backwards? When it is in the "on" position, the lights are off and when it is in the "off" position they are on.:-hmmm

ACES is well aware that several of the default a/c have missing or incorrect or incomplete functions. They will be fixed, but not in FSX...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest t-force1

Who will be fixing these issues?

>Who will be fixing these issues?ACES, the people who MAKE Flight Simulator. They own the source files, so they are the only ones who can "fix broken stuff..." *:-*

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill. If they are well aware of the problems why don't they fix them in FSX. We all paid for a flawed product. These items should have been caught, and fixed, during the beta testing. It sure does not speak well of ACES, or their beta testers. Thanks and best regards, Bob.

You have a good point. MS, in the future, if you guys are going to put that much effort into making a product, please do it the whole way. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy FSX.

Guest Tarasdad

Sorry if this sounds a bit contentious, but in my experience MS has earned a reputation for releasing beta software, then relying on the purchasers to finish testing it for them. Of course, they then argue that the bugs aren't bugs, right up until they release a patch that fixes the non-bugs (and generally introduces a dozen more).I did the paid beta tester thing. Sure as heck don't appreciate being a payING beta tester.

Guest Gemini76

I've been aware of this light issue and lots of VC issues since FSX was released. tried to let them know, but the American guys just told me to contact the Norwegian guys (I'm from Norway). The Norwegian guys told me to contact the American guys, so finally I just told them to forward it to whomever could do anything about (my guess is they didn't). Then a couple of weeks ago I contacted the dev team about it, asking when the final patch/SP was to be released, to fix the lights and stuff, but they said at least not before FS11:-mad Of course I answered to them about the same as the post above me says, but surely with no reply.The error lies in the model I think. Some light are applied to the model, so I don't know how/if you can fix it yourself. The closest thing is to add lights manually, but when you turn on the landing light(which is the switch that turns on all but the beacon and panel light on my Goose), you'll get doubled all the other lights, and I don't think you can add taxi and landing lights yourself.I love flying at night, to see the lights from the cities and I love the new blooming effect. I also love the Goose, I hardly fly any other plane. So it's really crap about that light issue. I can live with the reversed VC swithes and stuff.