Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Loving the bad weather in the UK right now!

A friend of mine just departed from ENBL (my local airport) in Wideroe WF192 to Oslo ENGM. She took a great picture: 

vh5Qklk.jpg

Last METAR: Wind 290° 4kt. Visibility 10km or more. Clouds few 4000ft. Temperature -8°C, dew point -9°C. QNH 1007hPa

The actual departure according to FR24 was 4:22PM. Sunset today was 3:14PM. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 8

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Being on the crossroads of maritime, continental and Arctic airstreams there is a constant battle as to which one wins.

Here's a visual explainer for anyone interested:

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

She took a great picture:

She did!

I like all the seasons of the year, even Winter. Though I'll take our variable and less accurate forecast-able weather for a milder Winter season than Norway's—feel cold just looking at that photo!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

16 hours ago, F737MAX said:

Aside from higher ground in rural national parks and their surrounds, the UK sees very few days that are impacted by snowfall that settles and persists.

Some gritting on the roads usually deals with the 2mm or so dusting of snow that we may get.

I've literally got photos from about five of the seven years I lived in Long Buckby of snow that lasted on the ground for three or more days. I don't know the source of your information but it's very different to my personal lived experience.

As cold as it is in Scotland:

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-16-12-2022-01

It's not this cold in Edinburgh/South Queensferry!:

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

And the boys and girls in Rosyth had better get the shovels and brooms out!

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

2 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

It's not this cold in Edinburgh/South Queensferry!:

Yeah, the sim still has an issue with water ice.

Fun fact, snow and ice do slowly build up if you sit and watch. I spawned at CYYZ this morning, no snow on the ground but it was snowing. By the time I was ready to taxi, some snow had built up, though then the snow magically vanished. I think it was live weather refreshing, and going 'oh meteoblue says there's no snow cover here, better remove it.

When they first added snow coverage, I was buzzing around New York in slew, stopped by the statue of liberty and slowly watched the water completely freeze over.

Edited by Tuskin38

Well my simming is finished for the year, I’m off to the warmth of California for month. Let’s see what next year brings in this hobby. 

• Like 1

UK Met Office is warning of a period of freezing rain on Sunday as weather fronts move in from the south west. Later it will turn milder but before that power lines, roads and pavements could get covered by ice.

By Monday temps will be 10-15°C - a massive change from earlier this week. Does MSFS do freezing rain? Good time to find out.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Flew from Bergen to Gatwick early this morning. Forecast at Gatwick was reduced visibility and -7°C. Bergen was around 0°C. The departure was delayed due to “restrictions” as the pilot explained. Due to low visibility the flight had been given a specific slot for the arrival into Gatwick. If I understood things correctly.

YJ8XobT.jpg

Once the fog cleared it was a lovely day in London. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 5

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Four days ago at this time (12:40Z) the temp was just -1.1°C here in Cheshire with polar air trapped over the British Isles.

Fast forward to now. Current temperature is 13.4°C (56°F) due entirely to a tropical maritime airstream coming up from the Azores. These are the huge fluctuations in our climate based entirely on our position in the world. The chart posted by @F737MAX demonstrates this perfectly. 👍

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Four days ago at this time (12:40Z) the temp was just -1.1°C here in Cheshire with polar air trapped over the British Isles.

Fast forward to now. Current temperature is 13.4°C (56°F) due entirely to a tropical maritime airstream coming up from the Azores. These are the huge fluctuations in our climate based entirely on our position in the world. The chart posted by @F737MAX demonstrates this perfectly. 👍

It's absolutely foul here. And the Met Office has issued further hysterical warnings for 'Moderate' rain.😂 Leaves me wondering if there is any weather in the UK we shouldn't be scared to death of?  At least in the sim we are safe. Just about to start a windy flight from the Isle of Wight.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

It's absolutely foul here. And the Met Office has issued further hysterical warnings for 'Moderate' rain.😂 Leaves me wondering if there is any weather in the UK we shouldn't be scared to death of?  At least in the sim we are safe. Just about to start a windy flight from the Isle of Wight.

Dartmoor has had over 4”. Torquay less than 1” according to weather stations.

Given you live in the English Riviera these days are few and far between. The Met Office don’t do “hysterical”. 🤨

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather